I am a power user and have always valued battery life above all else. Been using the Moto Z Play which would average 8 hours OST. Chanced upon a free Mate 9 from my provider and switched to it, especially after I read that people were getting 8 to 9 hours or more OST. However, I have only got 5 hours average OST. I have already

* Reformatted
    * Stopped using action launcher to reduce further drain and just using EMUI
    * Turned off background data
    * Auto kill apps when locked (tried to un kill also)

Basically tried a lot of battery tweaks. Except putting it in battery saver or ultra battery saver mode as it seems counter productive to have a phone that wont sync emails and direct messaging.

IS THIS NORMAL? Or did I get a lemon? Or are people bloating their OST's and posting them?

On the other hand, I have learned to appreciate the speed of the phone and the great screen size and mostly the great camera. I've just had to top up in the middle of the day. But ideally I would have liked to see those great battery life's everyone is talking about.
    08-15-2017 08:11 PM
    Sounds odd since even my 2 year old Note 4 battery (~3200mAh) can get me 4-5 hours SoT. I have battery saver turned on, but that's mostly for the screen. I still get notifications in Messenger, Gmail etc.
    08-16-2017 07:21 AM
    Everything that i have read would indicate that the Moto z play should get significantly more sot than the mate 9. In fact i was getting around 15-18 hours on my Moto Z Play. What i am getting at is if you get 8-9 on the z play then5 on the Mate 9 is about right. What other phones have you used and what sot where you getting on them
    08-16-2017 10:49 PM
    Use the Ultra Saving Mode to get yourself thru the day
    08-18-2017 10:35 AM
    Use the Ultra Saving Mode to get yourself thru the day
    How much more SOT do you get on your mate 9 with ultra power saving mode on?
    08-18-2017 06:51 PM
    Turn off Wi-Fi and perhaps Bluetooth if you need a lot of screen on time.
    08-19-2017 02:42 AM
    I've noticed the same issue on mine. What I've had to do is turn of LTE when I'm not using the phone. Searching for LATE seems to be the biggest drain on my phone by doing so I've added about 15 % to my battery life. I end my day with about 22% battery left
    08-30-2017 12:48 PM
    How much more SOT do you get on your mate 9 with ultra power saving mode on?
    Quite a bit actually. 2-3 hrs more on SOT
    08-30-2017 05:14 PM
    Quite a bit actually. 2-3 hrs more on SOT
    That's pretty good, especially when you are not near a charger!
    08-30-2017 06:24 PM
    How old is device? I've been using mine for about 3 weeks so far and I get at times close to 7 hours of SOT I'm at 3-1/2 hours right now and at 45% I keep WiFi and Bluetooth on connected to my gear S3 sounds odd to me I got a 7 plus and this phone kicks that one's butt on SOT my LG V20 couldn't give me more than 4-1/2 maybe your provider can take it back and swap the device
    08-30-2017 09:29 PM
    My Mate 9 recently started seeing decreased battery life. Examining the power consumption of all the installed apps I determined the culprit was Google Photos. It was running constantly in the background. It would be the largest single power consumer - eating up as much as 40% of the battery. I tried everything. Force stopping the app would help, but was not a permanant solution. Deleted and re-installed the app didnt help. Finally discovered the problem was apparently a corrupt image file on my SD card. Downloaded all the photos in that directory and re-started with a clean photos directory. That did the trick! Back to normal. Google Photos app now only consuming 0.35% of my battery. I can easily get 7 hours of SOT now with a full day on the phone.
    dpham00 and Apple2Droid like this.
    08-30-2017 11:10 PM
    My Mate 9 recently started seeing decreased battery life. Examining the power consumption of all the installed apps I determined the culprit was Google Photos. It was running constantly in the background. It would be the largest single power consumer - eating up as much as 40% of the battery. I tried everything. Force stopping the app would help, but was not a permanant solution. Deleted and re-installed the app didnt help. Finally discovered the problem was apparently a corrupt image file on my SD card. Downloaded all the photos in that directory and re-started with a clean photos directory. That did the trick! Back to normal. Google Photos app now only consuming 0.35% of my battery. I can easily get 7 hours of SOT now with a full day on the phone.
    Yeah a corrupt media file will really eat up battery life. For basic troubleshooting, you can remove the sd card to see if the provl persists.
    08-30-2017 11:54 PM
    Getting worse. Now its 3hours ost. Any fix?
    09-06-2017 03:23 AM
    I would try to remove the sd card to see if it makes any difference
    09-06-2017 06:53 PM