Buy a spare Mate 9? Thoughts.

TeknoBlast

May 20, 2016
Visit site
So Best Buy has the Mate 9 at a pretty good price, both new and refurb.

Even though I have insurance on my phone, I'm thinking of buying a spare one for that "just in case" moment.

I know the Mate 10 or whatever the next is called may be announced soon or even released....I havent kept up so not sure, but what do you guys think of having a spare one handy?

I love my Mate 9 and to me, nothing beats it.

So just curious what you guys think.

Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How much is deductible on the phone for insurance replacement? If you can get it for less than the deductible then i would do it. Otherwise, i wouldn't.

TeknoBlast

May 20, 2016
Visit site
How much is deductible on the phone for insurance replacement? If you can get it for less than the deductible then i would do it. Otherwise, i wouldn't.

I havent checked yet, but I think the deductible is around $150-200 or so.

Yeah you're right, if the deductible is less than a repaired one. Then there's no point.

Now, I also saw the specs for the Mate 10, which I dont know if they are confirmed specs or not. however, from what I saw, I'm not really a fan of the less wider phone. Saw the aspect is 2:1.

I prefer the width of the Mate 9.

I guess I'll wait a see what the true specs are of the Mate 10.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I havent checked yet, but I think the deductible is around $150-200 or so.

Yeah you're right, if the deductible is less than a repaired one. Then there's no point.

Now, I also saw the specs for the Mate 10, which I dont know if they are confirmed specs or not. however, from what I saw, I'm not really a fan of the less wider phone. Saw the aspect is 2:1.

I prefer the width of the Mate 9.

I guess I'll wait a see what the true specs are of the Mate 10.

I didn't think that i would like 2:1 but honestly after using the s8 plus for a while, it didn't bother me. Everyone is different though... But I enjoyed the extra space especially for typing replies and reading websites

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The 2:1 ratio is the very reason I'm buying a Mate 9 or P10 Plus in the next week. I've had enough of tall/skinny phones for now after having the s8+, LG G6 and the s8 I'm using now. The Mate 10 looks nice but the 2:1 screen is a turn off for me...that and the ridiculously high price that it's reportedly going to be sold for

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The 2:1 ratio is the very reason I'm buying a Mate 9 or P10 Plus in the next week. I've had enough of tall/skinny phones for now after having the s8+, LG G6 and the s8 I'm using now. The Mate 10 looks nice but the 2:1 screen is a turn off for me...that and the ridiculously high price that it's reportedly going to be sold for

Of course 2:1 isn't for everyone, but only time will tell if it will become standard across the board. Because if it is standard then you may not have much of a choice... Just like the move from 4:3 to 16:9

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site

I don't see the problem with it. It's just more narrow than normal.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the problem with it. It's just more narrow than normal.

For me that is the problem. In portrait mode it's fine but when you do use your phone in landscape it's a poor experience. Web browsing and apps show too little information and you have to scroll down much more and watching videos you have black bars at each side unless you zoom in to fill the screen and that just cuts out screen from the top and bottom

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
For me that is the problem. In portrait mode it's fine but when you do use your phone in landscape it's a poor experience. Web browsing and apps show too little information and you have to scroll down much more and watching videos you have black bars at each side unless you zoom in to fill the screen and that just cuts out screen from the top and bottom

Videos are not a deal breaker. You don't noticed it while watching the video. I haven't at least. And I never liked using the landscape mode while browsing the web. Regardless of the ratio of the screen. But everyone is different.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Videos are not a deal breaker. You don't noticed it while watching the video. I haven't at least. And I never liked using the landscape mode while browsing the web. Regardless of the ratio of the screen. But everyone is different.

Web browsing in landscape is ok for 4:3 ar. Any wider and i prefer portrait for browsing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12