Better late than never?

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone!

My current daily driver is a KEYOne. I like that phone very much, especially the PKB. But I don't need the PKB all the time. When I am on trips, or just tooling around I started to notice that the small screen size was a bit annoying. Also, the older processor meant that it was a bit laggy at times and apps just take a bit longer to open than I would like.

So I started to look for another device that I could use in addition to the KeyOne. I discovered the Mate9 from a friend who had one. He raved about it, and so that stuck in my mind.

I went to BestBuy this morning looking at the Galaxy S8+. I have bad memories of Samsung products though. Both my S6 and S7 started life off well enough, but within a few weeks of getting it -- the stutters and lag were just too much.

So I was looking for something much faster. And looking at the S8+ in the store brought back the stutter memories as I watched a slow frame rate S8+ display model do its thing. It was more fluid than my S7 but still not great compared to the Mate9 I had observed. Coupled with the $200 difference between the phones clinched it. I got the Mate9. I also didn't like the tall display. When looking at things in landscape, sites got funky. Sites without good mobile optimizations still work decent on a 16:9 screen so I often go into landscape for those kinds of sites. This seemed terrible on the S8+. It was also awkward for me to hold. I also do read eBooks, and so the tall screen ratio doesn't seem to work well for me.

But I have been pretty impressed with the Mate9 so far. I'm still trying out the camera, that seems to be where the phone might let me down. I hate the phony "wide aperture" mode. The zoom is nice, but the images seem a bit grainy. This is where the Samsung seems to have the Mate9 beat. Oh well, can't win them all (right now).

But the performance is excellent. Reminds me of an iPhone but with the power of Android. The dimensions are good -- and it even came with a little case and a screen protector which surprised me. All of the packaging materials were excellent. The charger took no time to charge it from 50% -> 100% even while doing updates in the background.

For $449 this thing is a bargain.

I don't think the Google keyboard is very good (okay, I hate it), but that could also be the PKB residue in me. Anyone got a good keyboard recommendation?

I'm also looking forward to the IR blaster! Good to have that on a phone again.

I'm just enjoying a nice (what appears to be) 60fps smooth experience with Android after my Samsungs. Hope it lasts!

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the keyone and the Mate 9- both good but Mate 9 is amazing. I'm using a S8+ right now so I can use wifi calling. Miss my Mate sometimes and get it out and look at it- seems so much BIGGER than the S8+. It's one of my favorites and I will def be looking to try the 10.

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on your new Mate 9. I picked one up about 2 weeks ago and have been impressed with it almost every time I have used it.

I have been primarily a Nexus and Motorola user for a long time and don't remember being any more impressed with a device. Sure, you can buy a phone with a better camera, but even the best is not $400-$500 better than the Mate 9. It's not perfect, but it is an excellent smartphone, by any measure, regardless of price. The fact that I bought mine for $400 new makes it the best value in a smartphone available today.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to the mate 9 as well. Had it a week now (came from nexus 6). Mine was installed from default with swift key and I'm happy with this. Phone is great, love the performance of battery, camera and operating system.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i also hated the narrow size of the S8+ and got a Mate 9.

I also hated Gboard and moved to Swiftkey

and I agree, the S8 beats the Mate 9 on camera, and having wireless charging. Other than that, the Mate 9 is about perfect

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
The narrow size of the S8+ really is aggravating. I really wanted to like the phone. But I ended up with my terrible Samsung problem flashbacks and stayed away.

I have found that the Mate9 camera is rewarding if you are willing to work it. Particularly if you shoot in Pro mode or want to stay with the monochrome sensor to get rich Black and White photos. It is different from the typical prosumer snapshot camera. I am digging it more and more.

Wireless charging would be nice as would water resistance.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I cannot buy a new S8 for that price. At least not from a store.

This is the price at best Buy for Verizon.

558b49ece83d42d40359d0c404ca704e.png

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My Mate9 is unlocked and I'm on AT&T with no carrier branding or bloatware. It's a bit different.

The Verizon version is factory sim unlocked though it does lack some LTE bands for other carriers. You can flash the unlocked software on the Verizon version to get the carrier free software, if that's what you desire. This will also open up the bands for the other carriers