Mate 9 is too underrated!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True, Huawei grows very fast, but it will take quite a good time for them to penetrate the US market, and dethrone apple, heck not dethrone but to become a major rival.

As for Mate 9 is underrated, i mainly meant by that, that it's undersold primary because the name isn't dominating as Samsung, as a result, given the price range of the device, it doesn't sell very good and those who are tech savy like us, will choose the best device that fits us, and i bet most of us will go for the Mate 9.

So far, all the 2017 flagship are not an upgrade over the M9, even downgrade at some regards

Price is one thing. But while a number of us on the forums are capable and willing to pay outright, many aren't. And while you can finance the mate 9, it is more difficult than iPhones or Galaxy devices. Which is of course because it isn't sold by any carrier. The vast majority of people in the USA buy from carriers or carrier authorized retailers like best buy. IMO, until they move to carriers, which should be soon based on rumors, then they don't be able to really compete in the USA on equal footing with Apple and Samsung.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So who underrates the Mate 9?

I don't recall ever reading any review that rated the phone low.
Seems to me anyone who has or had the Mate 9 was mostly satisfied.

I think that you are confusing under rated with low ratings. Under rated to me means something that is great but that people under estimate it's worth

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Price is one thing. But while a number of us on the forums are capable and willing to pay outright, many aren't. And while you can finance the mate 9, it is more difficult than iPhones or Galaxy devices. Which is of course because it isn't sold by any carrier. The vast majority of people in the USA buy from carriers or carrier authorized retailers like best buy. IMO, until they move to carriers, which should be soon based on rumors, then they don't be able to really compete in the USA on equal footing with Apple and Samsung.

True, well i guess time will tell how much Huawei will succeed there

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving the Mate 9. Decided to drop Verizon and go the prepaid route. Grabbed the Mate 9 for $399 from Best Buy. I was a little hesitant because of the big 1080p screen, but this phone really is extremely good.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving the Mate 9. Decided to drop Verizon and go the prepaid route. Grabbed the Mate 9 for $399 from Best Buy. I was a little hesitant because of the big 1080p screen, but this phone really is extremely good.

I have been looking at the prepaid route since i would have more phone choices but Verizon post paid is $32/ line for me for unlimited everything including tablets. I have been looking for a prepaid with unlimited tablet and smartphone data for significantly less than what I am paying for Verizon postpaid but haven't been able to find anything.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking at the prepaid route since i would have more phone choices but Verizon post paid is $32/ line for me for unlimited everything including tablets. I have been looking for a prepaid with unlimited tablet and smartphone data for significantly less than what I am paying for Verizon postpaid but haven't been able to find anything.

Can't beat $32 a line. I was paying $165 ish for 3 lines without any device payments.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I asked many people who had different phones over the years, mainly S8, S7E,iPhone, Pixel, note series and some others, they used Mate 9 for some times and all agreed that this is the best phone they ever used.

I can't stretch it enough, the mate 9 cured my battery anxiety, cameras are reliable(low light less), performance are very fast even after half a year, in a way, even faster for the apps i use frequently, overall the Mate 10 will build upon a proven ground :)

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I have no doubt that it is efficient ... But good efficient is it in real life usage? That no one knows yet.

From what I was reading before, they made their chips more efficient with the Kirin 960. Only thing they need to step up is their GPU. It can handle anything you throw at it but its slacking against Adreno.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
From what I was reading before, they made their chips more efficient with the Kirin 960. Only thing they need to step up is their GPU. It can handle anything you throw at it but its slacking against Adreno.

So the only improvement is the GPU?