11-10-2017 05:24 PM
69 123
tools
    Hope before the end of the year, but I bet it drags out to sometime in February. Anybody have any clues?
    09-07-2017 09:35 PM
    I wouldn't have high hopes, still on April security patch. This is one area I find Huawei really lags in.
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-07-2017 10:04 PM
    If we're real lucky we might see a beta before the end of the year...

Actual OTA...i don't see it
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-07-2017 10:40 PM
    Not before march 2018 if at all
    09-08-2017 01:33 PM
    Sometime next year. I believe Huawei updated their phones to Nougat around fed-march I believe. Maybe around the same time frame ?
    09-09-2017 02:30 AM
    This phone with it's excellent processor and battery would be great on O. Lets hope it comes sooner rather than never
    09-13-2017 02:22 PM
    Sometime next year. I believe Huawei updated their phones to Nougat around fed-march I believe. Maybe around the same time frame ?
    My honor 8 got nougat in November 2016. This was the beta though.
    09-14-2017 11:43 AM
    My honor 8 got nougat in November 2016. This was the beta though.
    I think I got mine earlier in the year. Just right before Samsung released the Nougat update to their phones.
    09-14-2017 08:09 PM
    So maybe we don't get EMUI 6.0 at all? Sounds like we jump straight to 8.0. My bet is January 2018.
    10-13-2017 08:25 PM
    So maybe we don't get EMUI 6.0 at all? Sounds like we jump straight to 8.0. My bet is January 2018.
    Yeah heard that rumor too, whatever they end up calling it I think it'll be just before the new year. There's a small public beta happening now.
    10-14-2017 12:04 AM
    As part of the mate 10 announcements today, Huawei confirmed that the Mate 9 should receive emui 8 four weeks after the Mate 10 release! They're also promising monthly security patches though I'll believe when I see it.
    10-16-2017 11:01 AM
    As part of the mate 10 announcements today, Huawei confirmed that the Mate 9 should receive emui 8 four weeks after the Mate 10 release! They're also promising monthly security patches though I'll believe when I see it.
    They also promised quarterly updates on the 5x...which is still on marshmallow. Not sure which patch, but I am assuming it's over a year old .
    10-16-2017 07:57 PM
    They also promised quarterly updates on the 5x...which is still on marshmallow. Not sure which patch, but I am assuming it's over a year old .
    Yeah, there track record is not that promising. It worries me about getting updates on the Honor 8 as well.
    10-16-2017 08:14 PM
    Oreo Beta is out for C636 (Chinese variant)
    10-17-2017 08:33 AM
    Yeah, there track record is not that promising. It worries me about getting updates on the Honor 8 as well.
    Most definitely. So far though... The updates have been near quarterly,close enough to say that they are keeping their promise, at least in the honor 8. In the 5x,not so much
    editguy likes this.
    10-18-2017 09:09 AM
    Most definitely. So far though... The updates have been near quarterly,close enough to say that they are keeping their promise, at least in the honor 8. In the 5x,not so much
    That's true. I guess they've technically keeper their word with the honor 8. It just feels like Huawei forgets us but we have been given 3 updates so for this year. Hopefully project treble will speed things up even more.
    10-18-2017 09:15 AM
    That's true. I guess they've technically keeper their word with the honor 8. It just feels like Huawei forgets us but we have been given 3 updates so for this year. Hopefully project treble will speed things up even more.
    well...3 updates...and we are at the beginning of the fourth quarter. i mean, compared to other manufacturers outside of apple, samsung, and google, huawei isn't doing bad on the honor 8.
    editguy likes this.
    10-18-2017 12:47 PM
    well...3 updates...and we are at the beginning of the fourth quarter. i mean, compared to other manufacturers outside of apple, samsung, and google, huawei isn't doing bad on the honor 8.
    True, I guess I'm spoiled and want all the updates
    10-18-2017 01:36 PM
    Android O Beta build B302 is available for the Mate 9 C567 US Variant. I'll be installing it shortly.

So the first attempt failed. Not sure why. I'll try again in a bit.
    10-19-2017 05:16 AM
    Android O Beta build B302 is available for the Mate 9 C567 US Variant. I'll be installing it shortly.

So the first attempt failed. Not sure why. I'll try again in a bit.
    Oh wow thats great (except for it failing and all)! Good luck getting it to download. And give us all the details when you get it up and running
    10-19-2017 11:01 AM
    Well this is a Beta build.....
    So after several attempts it would not flash. It would install the package but when it went to the verification that's when it failed. So because it's a Beat there is no support for it.
    Be hopeful as there will be a stable release soon.
    Djlarocca likes this.
    10-19-2017 01:26 PM
    Well this is a Beta build.....
    So after several attempts it would not flash. It would install the package but when it went to the verification that's when it failed. So because it's a Beat there is no support for it.
    Be hopeful as there will be a stable release soon.
    Do'h well that's too bad. But yeah, I think a final build is closer than we think.
    10-19-2017 02:42 PM
    So after some assistance with some helpful people, I got the B302 Android 8.0 installed on my Mate 9 C567 US variant. It's only been an hour so I am still playing with it. I will say this, its very nice. Keep in mind it's a Beta, so some things are quirky and some thing are missing/incorrect. That being said, here is what I have noticed so far:
    1. Do not ask me about battery life, it's only been an hour, I will say your battery life will probably be what it is now.
    2. The settings are as they show in the Android 8.0 screen shots and how they show in the Mate 10 videos. Yo have to dig around a bit as things are more condensed and there not as obvious as the once were. No big deal, but it took a minute to find some things.
    Also there is a display setting that is new as well. You can switch from HD (1280x720), FHD (1920x1080, or Smart, this will automatically lower screen resolution to save on battery.
    3. The System information is incorrect at this point. Here is what I see:
    A. Device name is Honor 8
    B. Model shows as M300-L29
    C. EMUI version shows as 5.0.1 (so I don't know if its 8.0 or not, someone help me out on this)
    D. MEID is all 0's
    E. RAM shows as 2 GB
    F. Internal storage shows as 11GB free and 16 GB total
    G.Security patch is September 5th
    H, And for those that care the base band is 20.201.44.19.845,20.201.44.19.845
    Again this is a Beta, so things may not seem right. I can tell you my storage is fine, and my RAM is as well.
    Other things I have noticed, no option to reconfigure the soft key's, they are fixed in the stock position. Also no option to hide the soft key at this time. Install unknown apps has no toggle to enable you have to enable each app. No new wallpapers or sounds as of yet. The camera is slightly different as well. The top has different icons and there is a 3D Panorama added that was a 3rd party proior. I will attach a screen shot of this at the bottom.

There is a new feature that I thought was cool, it a private screen. It's like a user space that you can have a different setup for. So it's secured and has to be used with default storage set to internal, it won't work on an SD card.
    I can say as I am restoring my data, it is noticeably snappier (placebo possibly) but it certainly does appear to be faster and less hesitation opening apps or switching back through resents.
    So that's all I have for now. I will update later once I get some time in with it. I want to look at Bluetooth function to see if its better/updated.
    So there it is, this is going to be a great build once it's put of Beta. With any luck it will be available soon and a bit more polished as well. Stay hopeful and keep an eye out for the final release, it's going to be worth it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9HKaADOzCwX1IwYkNVMHR0T00/view?usp=sharing

The icons in order are: Flash, Wide Aperature, Beauty, Moving Picture (its like a GIF or short video), and the rest are the same

#Update #
    It turns out you can configure the soft keys, hide them and enable the floating nav button. Turns out it's in the smart assistance setting. It's a very cool feature. Much easier to use than fling or any third party app I have used.
    Also just like Beta B230 Android Pay is broken. It should be fixed with a stable release
    #Update# 1:33pm
    Picture in Picture works great and it's pretty awesome. Limited amount of apps at this time but still...

10/21 #Uodate #
    Home button is animated like the Google devices (color dots)

#Update# 10/25/17
    I have experienced some of the settings crashing when attempting to access them. Manly some of the batter optimization settings. To combat this, if you use the search field in the settings you can access them without failure. Also, some apps, Instagram in particular, will randomly close out while using. Additional, I have certain apps set as administrator, occasional, these apps become disabled as the admin.
    Djlarocca likes this.
    10-20-2017 09:06 AM
    So after some assistance with some helpful people, I got the B302 Android 8.0 installed on my Mate 9 C567 US variant. It's only been an hour so I am still playing with it. I will say this, its very nice. Keep in mind it's a Beta, so some things are quirky and some thing are missing/incorrect. That being said, here is what I have noticed so far:
    1. Do not ask me about battery life, it's only been an hour, I will say your battery life will probably be what it is now.
    2. The settings are as they show in the Android 8.0 screen shots and how they show in the Mate 10 videos. Yo have to dig around a bit as things are more condensed and there not as obvious as the once were. No big deal, but it took a minute to find some things.
    Also there is a display setting that is new as well. You can switch from HD (1280x720), FHD (1920x1080, or Smart, this will automatically lower screen resolution to save on battery.
    3. The System information is incorrect at this point. Here is what I see:
    A. Device name is Honor 8
    B. Model shows as M300-L29
    C. EMUI version shows as 5.0.1 (so I don't know if its 8.0 or not, someone help me out on this)
    D. MEID is all 0's
    E. RAM shows as 2 GB
    F. Internal storage shows as 11GB free and 16 GB total
    G.Security patch is September 5th
    H, And for those that care the base band is 20.201.44.19.845,20.201.44.19.845
    Again this is a Beta, so things may not seem right. I can tell you my storage is fine, and my RAM is as well.
    Other things I have noticed, no option to reconfigure the soft key's, they are fixed in the stock position. Also no option to hide the soft key at this time. Install unknown apps has no toggle to enable you have to enable each app. No new wallpapers or sounds as of yet. The camera is slightly different as well. The top has different icons and there is a 3D Panorama added that was a 3rd party proior. I will attach a screen shot of this at the bottom.
    There is a new feature that I thought was cool, it a private screen. It's like a user space that you can have a different setup for. So it's secured and has to be used with default storage set to internal, it won't work on an SD card.
    I can say as I am restoring my data, it is noticeably snappier (placebo possibly) but it certainly does appear to be faster and less hesitation opening apps or switching back through resents.
    So that's all I have for now. I will update later once I get some time in with it. I want to look at Bluetooth function to see if its better/updated.
    So there it is, this is going to be a great build once it's put of Beta. With any luck it will be available soon and a bit more polished as well. Stay hopeful and keep an eye out for the final release, it's going to be worth it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9HKaADOzCwX1IwYkNVMHR0T00/view?usp=sharing

The icons in order are: Flash, Wide Aperature, Beauty, Moving Picture (its like a GIF or short video), and the rest are the same

#Update #
    It turns out you can configure the soft keys, hide them and enable the floating nav button. Turns out it's in the smart assistance setting. It's a very cool feature. Much easier to use than fling or any third party app I have used.
    Also just like Beta B230 Android Pay is broken. It should be fixed with a stable release
    But what about battery li..... JK

Glad you got it working and thanks for the run though.
    The fact that it's mislabeled as an honor 8 makes me hopeful that the honor 8 will actually get this update.
    I'm also excited about hiding the soft key! I always felt like that is wasted space down there. Keep us updated if anything else cool pops up!
    phillymade likes this.
    10-20-2017 01:31 PM
    😂🤣😀 Battery life!
    Picture in Picture is very cool. Have not uncovered all just yet, I'm sure something will pop up. Still trying to familiarize myself with the new settings and where thing are located now
    10-20-2017 01:36 PM
69 123