Huawei - do they care at all about recent security threats?

Kris Rom

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
1.) Blueborne - very serious exploit that shouldn't remain unpatched for long.

2.) Bootloader flaws - Huawei singled out by USC and ZDNet as having the most serious vulnerability. https://www.google.com/amp/www.zdne...iscovered-in-huawei-qualcomm-nvidia-chipsets/

Based on knowledge of this company do we think they'll do anything in a reasonable timeframe? I asked about Blueborne at least on their Facebook page and just got a big dodge.

Last edited:

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
This study involves the use of current technology to exploit vulnerabilities in the P8, which was released over 2 years ago with Android 5 (Lollipop). It requires the attacker have physical access to and full control of the device. There were no cited identified known instances of these vulnerabilities being used in the wild.

Bootloader security has improved significantly on 2016 and 2017 devices RUNNING Android 6, 7, and now 8.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
It's frustrating, I don't want to run Bluetooth on my phone till they release the September patch but who know when that's going to be.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I think its inexcusable at this point to not have timely security updates. I was considering looking at the Mate 10, but not getting an update for 6 months is not acceptable. It doesn't have to even be every month, I would be happy quarterly for goodness sakes. Samsung and even LG trounce Huawei in this.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I think its inexcusable at this point to not have timely security updates. I was considering looking at the Mate 10, but not getting an update for 6 months is not acceptable. It doesn't have to even be every month, I would be happy quarterly for goodness sakes. Samsung and even LG trounce Huawei in this.

It's sad when you can't keep up with Samsung on the update front.

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm still on April 5, 2017. Make me wonder if they are just willing to wait on the update until we get EMUI 6.0 and Oreo. As I understand it, with EMUI 6.0 and Oreo we will have Project Treble.

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm still on April 5, 2017. Make me wonder if they are just willing to wait on the update until we get EMUI 6.0 and Oreo. As I understand it, with EMUI 6.0 and Oreo we will have Project Treble.

And perhaps that means that Oreo is coming very soon. I'd hate to have to wait until early 2018, but I rather they get it right than release a buggy version of EMUI 6.0.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
And perhaps that means that Oreo is coming very soon. I'd hate to have to wait until early 2018, but I rather they get it right than release a buggy version of EMUI 6.0.

Tht could very well be possible since they already have a beta running over at XDA. And yeah, hopefully project treble streamline updates in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech