Huawei Mate 9 Has Become My Favorite Phone

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I’m always curious about Android phones other than Samsung and I wanted to see what all the “Huawei Hype” was about. I purchased a Mate 9 and started using it as my daily driver. Much to my surprise, I preferred the Mate 9 to my Samsung Note 8. I’m going to turn 79 this year and both my vision and hearing are feeling their age. The Mate 9’s display, a 16:9 LCD screen with 1080p resolution, was easier on my eyes and the speaker seemed louder. I could have lowered the resolution on my Note 8 and increased the size of the icons and text, but it didn’t seem to make much sense to “dumb down” Samsung’s flagship smartphone. Also, I found that I wasn’t using some of the features on the Note 8, such as the S-pen. I decided to sell my Note 8 and keep the Mate 9.

So far, I’m very happy with my choice of the Mate 9. It’s easy for me to hold, the screen is large and bright, and the sound is loud enough for me to hear. It seems just as fast and smooth as my Note 8, and it charges faster and a charge lasts longer. I think it’s an ideal phone for us older folks. I have only one minor complaint, and it’s one I have with other major smartphone companies; the lack of prompt software updates. My Mate 9 is still running Android 7 (Nougat) and the security updates are not current. I spoke with Huawei tech support and was told that new software has been released but the updates are pushed in batches and it might take a couple of months for the new software to be pushed to my phone.

brutos08

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Glad you are loving the mate 9, I purchased mine February last year best decision I ever made, it's a great device hugely underrated, I also now picked up the Mate 10 Pro it's a more refined than the Mate 9, it's just beautiful.

Last edited:

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i like Huawei's software, seems like they took LG and Samsung and mashed it together and took the best stuff

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
i like Huawei's software, seems like they took LG and Samsung and mashed it together and took the best stuff

I like it fine too yet it’s one of the things reviewers seem to get caught up on. I honestly don’t see the problem, I like it fine.

brutos08

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Reviewers are subjective and bash it because if that which is why I always take their review's as such. Even battery Life or camera reviews on smartphone are subjective. I love my mate 9 coming up to one year now since I first got it

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Mine mate 9 battery life are insane, as heavy user with dedicated DAC too.

Honestly it's the best phone after the mate 10 pro, and it doesn't cost much

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I personally really like EMUI having experienced it on my Honor 8 that I sold a few months back (bad decision). But I'm back in the game. I traded for a Mate 9 the other day and waiting for it to arrive. Happy to hear most opinions on this thread are positive!

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Been using my Mate 9 for 3 weeks now. It's an awesome phone. Sold my LG G6 (loved that phone) because I wanted a all metal build and a longer batter life. Like many Huawei fans, I enjoy EMUI. It's the fastest finger print scanner I've ever used. And the phone is so fast and smooth, it feels like a Snapdragon 835 chip. I'm a big fan of the Kirin chips (maybe better than Snapdragon?). :)

Derek W1

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I have a Mate 10 and find myself using my Mate 9 still, just something about this phone that I miss when I'm not using it.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I just got mine today. Man...why have I not been on this phone earlier? It's actually a bit lighter and smaller than I expected, which is a welcome surprise. The phone also has a good presentation as I traded from a good user here on AC who had all the original packing. Every OEM should make their phones come with a little case and screen holder even if there are better things on the market. I really like that about Huawei. Only a few hours but I'm hooked.

crush

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
I bought mine on ebay for $285 with some scuff and one small dent on it. There are much better ones for around $300. After testing I bought 2 more brand new ones for the $399 deal on Amazon that repeats itself every now and then.

Love the phone!!! Updated manually to Oreo and still good. Apart from the battery and awesome camera etc. I find that the screen is much better on my eyes compared to an Amoled screen. Especially at night when the the lights are out whenever I look at my old phones Amoled I feel more strain compared to the Mate 9. Plus it is so bright I can only use 30% brightness indoors and around 70-80% in direct sunlight.

I believe it would be much more common if it weren't for Korean lobbying. A few congressmen speaking out against the brand... paid lobbyists most probably...

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I got mine recently and it's a nice device with lots of spice. The battery life is very good. I also have two iPhone Xes and the Mate 9 is great when I feel like using something different.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Been well impressed with mine. Only gripe is getting a decent screen protector. Tried several glass and film ones, will probably leave it naked now.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Been well impressed with mine. Only gripe is getting a decent screen protector. Tried several glass and film ones, will probably leave it naked now.

I bought a tempered glass protector but I still haven’t taken it out of the package yet. The one that came on it is still in great condition so I’ll keep using it for a while.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I bought a tempered glass protector but I still haven’t taken it out of the package yet. The one that came on it is still in great condition so I’ll keep using it for a while.

I tried several glass ones and they all suffered with the halo effect around the edge. (where glass doesn't touch the curved edges of screen).
I then tried a film one which lasted about a week before lifting at the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781