When will Huawei's next mobile phone be available from a carrier?

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
AT&T has carried a Huawei device before. Since moving to HiSilicon we have not seen one yet from Huawei available from a carrier or carrier exclusive(Article). When will the next device land and on what carrier?

Edit:...and would you buy it?

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I never get these exclusive carrier phones especially from companies other than Apple & Samsung.

Yes I bought the P10 Plus from Rogers.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
AT&T has carried a Huawei device before. Since moving to HiSilicon we have not seen one yet from Huawei available from a carrier or carrier exclusive(Article). When will the next device land and on what carrier?

Edit:...and would you buy it?

It would be between the carriers and Huawei...

There is little incentive for the carriers to carry Huawei/ Honor because most people buying phones from carriers won't buy them.

Also the situation with T-Mobile is tricky because T-Mobile sued Huawei over stolen proprietary technology and a court has sided with T-Mobile. Huawei also sued T-Mobile over patents. So they aren't on the friendliest of terms.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
It would be between the carriers and Huawei...

There is little incentive for the carriers to carry Huawei/ Honor because most people buying phones from carriers won't buy them.

Also the situation with T-Mobile is tricky because T-Mobile sued Huawei over stolen proprietary technology and a court has sided with T-Mobile. Huawei also sued T-Mobile over patents. So they aren't on the friendliest of terms.
In the sense of an Android enthusiast who knows what a carrier unlocked phone means, yes most do not buy carrier phones. And most do. The average user who uses carrier phones gets what the sales rep sells them. Huawei is gaining momentum and I would highly doubt most young sales reps would talk bad about their devices especially if they are sold right there in their AT&T store.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In the sense of an Android enthusiast who knows what a carrier unlocked phone means, yes most do not buy carrier phones. And most do. The average user who uses carrier phones gets what the sales rep sells them. Huawei is gaining momentum and I would highly doubt most young sales reps would talk bad about their devices especially if they are sold right there in their AT&T store.

If it gets to the point where it is sold at att stores, then I do agree that the reps aren't going to talk bad about it but at the same time they aren't going to promote it. Unless of course Huawei works out a deal where they get a significantly higher commission on their phones. Then you will see sales reps pushing it.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Ok.

What do you think about the article/media speak on one of their chips getting accredited? Solid info, only hype, or some other business in the works?

Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok.

What do you think about the article/media speak on one of their chips getting accredited? Solid info, only hype, or some other business in the works?

Thanks.

Well looking at the source... Android authority i am familiar with but... This isn't their article, just one that they picked up from "The Information", a site that I am unfamiliar with. Further, they site anonymous sources. So a site that i don't know citing anonymous sources... Not a source that I would trust. Not saying that it is true or not... That i don't know.

With that said, my guess would be that Huawei didn't like carrier chains in the USA (they did make carrier phones for both att and T-Mobile in the past) and broke free. Perhaps the terms wasn't to their liking as they do carrier deals in other countries.

It doesn't surprise me that they are trying to get back into the USA and selling unlocked isn't working well for them so far. So if they can get a carrier deal going then i do see them selling through carriers again. I certainly think something is in the works, but as to when it will materialize, i don't know. I mean... they are number three now worldwide and I am sure they want a USA market and also they probably realize that the easiest way into a USA market is through carriers.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Well looking at the source... Android authority i am familiar with but... This isn't their article, just one that they picked up from "The Information", a site that I am unfamiliar with. Further, they site anonymous sources. So a site that i don't know citing anonymous sources... Not a source that I would trust. Not saying that it is true or not... That i don't know.

With that said, my guess would be that Huawei didn't like carrier chains in the USA (they did make carrier phones for both att and T-Mobile in the past) and broke free. Perhaps the terms wasn't to their liking as they do carrier deals in other countries.

It doesn't surprise me that they are trying to get back into the USA and selling unlocked isn't working well for them so far. So if they can get a carrier deal going then i do see them selling through carriers again. I certainly think something is in the works, but as to when it will materialize, i don't know. I mean... they are number three now worldwide and I am sure they want a USA market and also they probably realize that the easiest way into a USA market is through carriers.

It is close now...Huawei Mate 10 or P11 will be sold by AT&T next year - GSMArena.com news

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's good news. Though hopefully it doesn't end up an att exclusive for some time like the iPhone at launch.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It'll be great if they can get release on all the carriers, but starting with one is a start tho

True but it also depends on the terms... If they are giving multiple year exclusivity like Apple or moto or samsung did on select devices then that isn't good.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
True but it also depends on the terms... If they are giving multiple year exclusivity like Apple or moto or samsung did on select devices then that isn't good.

We don't know what they'll be doing. If it requires huawei to have an exclusive product line to be in atnt, they'll probably do it. Hopefully not all their phones like up are exclusive to them

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
We don't know what they'll be doing. If it requires huawei to have an exclusive product line to be in atnt, they'll probably do it. Hopefully not all their phones like up are exclusive to them

I would be ok with one device line just like how Samsung actives are a att specific. Hopefully it isn't a bunch of their phones or all their phones like with the iPhone