Multiple issues with P20

Newuser1988

May 14, 2018
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Im new to huawei. I bought the standard p20 after owning samsung for years and im having a few issues maybe you can help me with. Ive been using the phone for 2 weeks now.

1st. the screen dims when i use various 3rd party apps such as facebook/twitter/internet etc. I obviously have auto brightness turned off but it still does it. Im having to use my phone on max brightness just to see a colorful and vivid screen which is draining my battery faster than usual. Does anyone know how to fix this? Some posts on google seem to think its a bug but it seems a major bug for huawei not to fix immediately. Ive trawled through the settings but cant see anything thats causing this.

2nd, the camera is rubbish! The biggest selling point of these phones seems to be the camera but pictures were better and clearer on my S6. Ive turned all the AI settings off but still lools dull and blurry whether im using 12 or 20 mp.

3rd. Whenever i use a theme, unless i use the standard magazine unlock feature for the lock screen i dont get any notifications at all on the lock screen. I hate the magazine unlock screen especially with the clock at the bottom. How i can change this and keep notifications?

4th on my emails, every email ive previously "blocked" is no longer blocked and i cant find a setting to block sender on this phone. Ive tried the standard email. Gmail and boxer but i cant block any senders and anything i add to spam or unwanted just comes through again and again.

5th. Bluetooth. On my samsung the bluetooth devices would be shown in a list and ask me to connect everytime. On the p20 it just connects automatically but i dont want this. Can i change it?

6th. When i bring up the app screen that shows which apps are running. I press the bin icon to close all the open apps but this doesnt seem to terminate them. They seem to still be running in background. How do i terminate all?

Many thanks for all your help im pulling my hair out lol

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
1 - this is a known bug and it's supposedly going to be fixed soon in an update (don't hold your breath)

2 - think this is just personal preference and there's not much anyone can help to change that. I felt the same when I changed from the S6 to the S7 and the Mega Pixels were reduced

3- on all Huawei phones Magazine Unlock is the only way to show lockscreen notifications. Not ideal but most of us are just used to it now I think.

4 - Not sure

5- I come from a long line of Samsung phones and can't say I noticed that but I'm guessing you had "ask each time" set on yours and I can't find a similar setting on the Huawei. I'm used to it just connecting automatically on all my phones

6 - There's a feature that let's you lock any apps in the app switcher you'd like to keep running and not be closed when you close 'All Apps' with the trash symbol. Open the app switcher and any apps you might have locked will be marked with a closed padlock at the top, just press that padlock and it will be change to an opened one and it will allow the app to close properly

Last edited:

Internaut

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Simplest solution to the camera is to augment the software. I take most colour photos using Adobe Lightroom CC (one step auto setting to process the raw file to something attractive looking, and plenty of scope to muck about). Alternatively, shoot in Pro mode and process the DNG in something like Snapseed. The camera hardware is great, but the software and JPEG development lags behind Samsung/Google/Apple. I wish more reviews would be clear on that point.

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the screen. If you turn auto brightness off and whack brightness up to full then it doesn't dim in third party apps. Thankfully I have my brightness set to full virtually all the time so it works for me.

Also, if you keep auto brightness on it doesn't do it either.

Not sure on other points. Camera must be dodgy though as there's no way an S6 takes better photos. I have the regular P20 and the camera has done nothing but impress me.

Newuser1988

May 14, 2018
Visit site
1 - this is a known bug and it's supposedly going to be fixed soon in an update (don't hold your breath)

2 - think this is just personal preference and there's not much anyone can help to change that. I felt the same when I changed from the S6 to the S7 and the Mega Pixels were reduced

3- on all Huawei phones Magazine Unlock is the only way to show lockscreen notifications. Not ideal but most of us are just used to it now I think.

4 - Not sure

5- I come from a long line of Samsung phones and can't say I noticed that but I'm guessing you had "ask each time" set on yours and I can't find a similar setting on the Huawei. I'm used to it just connecting automatically on all my phones

6 - There's a feature that let's you lock any apps in the app switcher you'd like to keep running and not be closed when you close 'All Apps' with the trash symbol. Open the app switcher and any apps you might have locked will be marked with a closed padlock at the top, just press that padlock and it will be change to an opened one and it will allow the app to close properly

Thanks for your detailed response. For point 1 i guess i will just have tocross my fingers and hope. This bug wasnt mentioned in ANY of the many reviews i watched which im suprised about. I deffinately wouldnt have bought the fone if that was mentioned.

For points 2,3 and 5 i guess i will just have to get used to it. Il have a mess around with the camera and see what i think. Pics just look grainey, blurry in the background and dull. I will try the adobe thing the person below you suggested.

Thanks again

Newuser1988

May 14, 2018
Visit site
Simplest solution to the camera is to augment the software. I take most colour photos using Adobe Lightroom CC (one step auto setting to process the raw file to something attractive looking, and plenty of scope to muck about). Alternatively, shoot in Pro mode and process the DNG in something like Snapseed. The camera hardware is great, but the software and JPEG development lags behind Samsung/Google/Apple. I wish more reviews would be clear on that point.

Thanks, i have downloaded adobe lightroom and will have a mess about with it this week. Should i take the photos directly with lightroom or take them on phone and import the picture into lightroom?

Thanks

Newuser1988

May 14, 2018
Visit site
Regarding the screen. If you turn auto brightness off and whack brightness up to full then it doesn't dim in third party apps. Thankfully I have my brightness set to full virtually all the time so it works for me.

Also, if you keep auto brightness on it doesn't do it either.

Not sure on other points. Camera must be dodgy though as there's no way an S6 takes better photos. I have the regular P20 and the camera has done nothing but impress me.

Yeah i have been having to keep brightnesd on full. The battery is really good but i bet it would be fantastic if i could use 50/60% bright rather than 100% lol. Cant believe this issue is not top of huaweis priority list. Seems madness just letting ppl buy phones with dimming screens

Thanks

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The screen dimming issue was an issue on the Mate 10 Pro before it and Huawei claim to have fixed it but it's definitely still there for many.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
On point 4 it will depend on how the sender was blocked. If it was blocked on the phone level (using standard email app for example), then it wasn't blocked on the email level which means if you transfer phones the block will be gone, unless you transferred to another Samsung where your settings will be carried over via SmartSwitch. To block properly you may have to use the email provider's actual app (Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc), or block them on a PC browser on your email client.

Newuser1988

May 14, 2018
Visit site
On point 4 it will depend on how the sender was blocked. If it was blocked on the phone level (using standard email app for example), then it wasn't blocked on the email level which means if you transfer phones the block will be gone, unless you transferred to another Samsung where your settings will be carried over via SmartSwitch. To block properly you may have to use the email provider's actual app (Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc), or block them on a PC browser on your email client.

Urgh thats annoying lol. I will login via a pc and block them then.

Thanks

Internaut

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, i have downloaded adobe lightroom and will have a mess about with it this week. Should i take the photos directly with lightroom or take them on phone and import the picture into lightroom?

Thanks

I’ve done both approaches, and didn’t see a difference. So, I sugggest trying both and deciding which you like best.

Also, in the Huawei camera app, don’t forget to try monochrome. I’ve found the portrait and pro modes, of monochrome, both make great out of the camera photos. Some colour and black and white examples from me.

https://flickr.com/photos/33337735@N00/sets/72157689868399490
https://flickr.com/photos/33337735@N00/sets/72157695798253475

https://flic.kr/p/244XQ2A

Newuser1988

May 14, 2018
Visit site
I’ve done both approaches, and didn’t see a difference. So, I sugggest trying both and deciding which you like best.

Also, in the Huawei camera app, don’t forget to try monochrome. I’ve found the portrait and pro modes, of monochrome, both make great out of the camera photos. Some colour and black and white examples from me.

https://flickr.com/photos/33337735@N00/sets/72157689868399490
https://flickr.com/photos/33337735@N00/sets/72157695798253475

https://flic.kr/p/244XQ2A

Thanks for those. The pics look good. When i take pics they look ok, but as soon as i pinch the screen to zoom in they look terrible compared to my s6