P20 pro audio?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I've seen a lot of good things about the P20 Pro. Seems like the current alternative hipsters phone to go for. Lots of positive reviews about how underrated it is. However I'm an audiophile coming from two audiophile focused phones HTC one M8 and HTC 10. What is the wired (dongle) audio like. Anybody have a HTC or LG V series phone to compare with and if so does the wired audio compare favorably or not? Thanks!

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I've seen a lot of good things about the P20 Pro. Seems like the current alternative hipsters phone to go for. Lots of positive reviews about how underrated it is. However I'm an audiophile coming from two audiophile focused phones HTC one M8 and HTC 10. What is the wired (dongle) audio like. Anybody have a HTC or LG V series phone to compare with and if so does the wired audio compare favorably or not? Thanks!
No audiophile should get a phone without a headphone jack.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
No audiophile should get a phone without a headphone jack.
I kinda figured this but just wanted to ask, just to be sure. Gsm arena website used to do very useful laboratory tests on each phones audio capabilities. And that was what I used to compare but they have stopped doing that. At the moment I'm leaning towards the LG V40 or Samsung Galaxy S9+. HTC have decided audio isn't important anymore, reviews for the U12 look bad in general.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately not all Usb-c are made equal.
It doesn't have universal compatibility across all uses.
The Bluetooth is good, but it's still Bluetooth.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Haven't compared with any other phones but wired audio sounds pretty good to me, I remember seeing a reviewer say it's better than the S9's audio.

blackberrysoup

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Wired audio is not as good as my Moto Z, which also sounds noticeably louder. Same goes with Bluetooth audio for some reason, compared to my Moto Z, even Bluetooth audio sounds more muted on the P20 Pro at max volume. Definitely not a phone for audiophiles out there.

GSX1400

May 9, 2018
Visit site
Wired audio is not as good as my Moto Z, which also sounds noticeably louder. Same goes with Bluetooth audio for some reason, compared to my Moto Z, even Bluetooth audio sounds more muted on the P20 Pro at max volume. Definitely not a phone for audiophiles out there.

I switched out the Huawei USB-C to 3.5mm adapter for an HTC one, and now I have a phone that I can actually enjoy while listening to music.

Standard one that comes with the phone makes music sound flat, not loud enough and just plain boring.

Jadaress1

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I think he means the U11. Look up U11 headphone adapter

Thanks, cause yeh I have the HTC 10 still and sure it had the 3.5mm jack lol. So is the HTC U11 adapter better than the pixel adapter. Id like it to sound much louder than it is with this stock huawei one. The S9 that i have sounds better than this Huawei. But maybe its just the adapter. Thanks.

GSX1400

May 9, 2018
Visit site
Thanks, cause yeh I have the HTC 10 still and sure it had the 3.5mm jack lol. So is the HTC U11 adapter better than the pixel adapter. Id like it to sound much louder than it is with this stock huawei one. The S9 that i have sounds better than this Huawei. But maybe its just the adapter. Thanks.

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

I got this one https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...es%2Fusb-c-digital-to-3-5mm%2F&token=vC93K0Cy

If you sign up to HTC Club, it will be cheaper. Also they sent it priority next day. Note that the link is for the UK site. Not sure what availability is like elsewhere.

Big difference in volume levels and general sound quality. I also come from the HTC 10. The adapter makes the P20 Pro enjoyable, but don't expect the kind of audio power as the HTC 10 - That thing was awesome.

Jadaress1

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Hey, thanks. I'm from the UK so that's good. I'll check it out. The HTC 10 sound quality is great, that's why I've still got it but it'd be nice to have at least good quality on the phone i use daily. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma