Syncing Huawei 'Gallery' with Google Photos

HuaweiP20Green

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi Everyone

I recently moved over from iOS to Android after many years.

I wanted to transfer my photos over, and the best way I could see doing that was to upload my old photos onto Google Photos, allowing me to access them on the Huawei P20 Pro.

So now when I take a photo from the P20 Pro the image is saved onto both Huawei 'Gallery' app and also Google Photos. All good so far.

If I want to delete a photo on the Google Photos app it will also delete on the Gallery app to make both consistent. Brilliant.

Problem

Now when I am on the Gallery app (which is also the only app that you can view photos form when you are still in camera mode) and decide that there are some that I do not want to keep and delete, this does delete the photos from Gallery, but it DOES NOT delete them from Google Photos.

In other words, any actions I do on Google photos carry through to Huawei Gallery, but any changes I do on the Gallery app do not carry through onto Google Photos. THe result is that it can be extremely annoying to have spent 20 mins deleting photos off my phone only to have them reappear again on Google photos and require me to do the same exercise again.

Question

Does anybody know how to change settings so that changes from Gallery app affect the photos on Google cloud?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Pictures aren't saved to apps, they're saved to the phone. So nothing is saved to Gallery or Photos.

When you turn the phone on or restart it, part of the system, called Media Scan, looks over the phone for pictures, videos, music and other sound files, and builds a database of all the files it finds. Apps like Gallery and Photos look in that database to find pictures - and they show what they find. That's why deleting it when you're in one app "deletes" it when you're in the other app. When you delete it, it's no longer in the phone, so it can't be shown. It's not in the app, it's on the phone.

Pictures taken and uploaded to the Google cloud, then deleted from the phone (there are thumbnails kept on the phone), are still shown in Gallery, but aren't on the phone, they're in the cloud. When you look at the individual picture, you're seeing it from the cloud. When you're seeing your gallery of pictures, you're seeing the thumbnails on the phone.

Brilliant? Instead of having to download all the pictures from the cloud every time you open a picture app, you have thumbnails to see without any downloading, making the process much faster. You only have to download the picture if you decide that you want it to reside on the phone and not in the cloud. (And the same thing for the Media Scan - each app doesn't have to scan the entire phone each time you open it, if just does a very fast query to the database asking for a list of all pictures or all music or all videos, whatever the particular app can handle.)

HuaweiP20Green

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Rukbat.

As a follow up question, do you know if it is possible for me to get Google photos app to update what it stores on the CLOUD by scanning to find the remaining photos on my PHONE?

I would like it to work like Dropbox where a change on the files on a device would automatically change what is stored on the cloud.

sjh88

Sep 14, 2019
Visit site
Thanks Rukbat.

As a follow up question, do you know if it is possible for me to get Google photos app to update what it stores on the CLOUD by scanning to find the remaining photos on my PHONE?

I would like it to work like Dropbox where a change on the files on a device would automatically change what is stored on the cloud.

Did you figure this out? Trying to get the same on my Huawei P30 Pro... :-(

Also appear unable to upload videos to Huawei Cloud's web interface!! :-(

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Turning on Photo sync in the Google account (on the phone) syncs whatever is on the phone, then keeps newly-taken pictures synced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888