Hauwei or not?

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Really great hardware. I love my Mate 9.
Their take on Android is very similar to The iPhone OS look and feel.
They tend to abandon their phones pretty early, regrading updates. They have gotten better with them recently, but their update track record is still pretty bad overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
They tend to abandon???

The Mate 9 was one of the first phones with Android 8.0 Oreo AND they even added Project Treble support to allow for easier updates. Ask me if LG did the same for their flagship phones!

I've had a Mate 9 and now a P20 Pro.

only issues for me have been that ATT doesn't allow VOLTE (HD Voice) on BYOD phones. (T-Mobile doesn't have that problem.

Updates have been good with at least security updates every 3 months or so.

There are some small issues(quirks really) that can be a little annoying. Their power management is really aggressive and sometimes stops apps from functioning properly. You have to go into settings and exclude specific apps from power management.

Settings aren't really set up like typical Android so finding things sometimes is a bit difficult.

UI is extra smooth, just as smooth as iOS, fastest fingerprint sensors I've used, cameras are great, and except for the political issues Huawei is having great phones all around.

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
If you get the international (not China) versions it has Google play like normal.

I watch Netflix and Hulu on my phone and it works as well. Some streaming apps have issues like some of the major network ones, but "usually" fixed by going into settings and clearing app data and cache or last resort uninstall reinstall.

pault8084

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
I've had iPhones and really do rate the p20 Pro which I've had since launch. Great hardware and has never missed a beat. battery life amazing, great camera and iOS like In day to day use. Do it!

Amy.B

Oct 12, 2018
Visit site
Thank you! I am very tempted. I am in the UK so any P20 pro will have the play store on i hope lol

Been on iphone for a while but just fancying a change. Also my sis in law has a Hauwei and am very impressed with its photos

nlm

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
no wireless charging but it has fast charging which is more useful imo. I had wireless charging for 4 years in my previous phones. Until they become more widespread (e.g. built into tables at coffee shops or meeting rooms) they a more expensive way to charge your phone more slowly. The fast charger is more than 6 times faster than a wireless charger at 700 mah. That means 10 minutes plugged into the fast charger is worth about an hour on a wireless charger.

BTW I never have to charge the P20 Pro during the day. When I plug it in at night I still have 60% battery, maybe 45-50% on a really heavy use day.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Fast charging makes up for it. In fact, I put Huawei's second to OnePlus' Dash.

My only complaint about my P20 Pro or Huawei in general is their OS because it's ugly AF. lol

Said it many time, the ability to use third party Launchers like Nova Prime and Icon Packs like Urman is the reason I can tolerate it otherwise, I'm either sticking with SAMSUNG, have the Note 9 as well and/or get the iPhone.

Amy.B

Oct 12, 2018
Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for the advice. I love the camera on Hauwei and love how customisable android is compared to Apple. Also wanting fingerprint scanner

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
My Sons girlfriend has been with Apple since day one.She fancied a change after seeing my P20 Pro ,got the same phone and absolutely loves it..UK too! She found the changeover to be very straightforward too as she already had a Google account on her Iphone so all contacts and photos transferred easily.
Thank you! I am very tempted. I am in the UK so any P20 pro will have the play store on i hope lol

Been on iphone for a while but just fancying a change. Also my sis in law has a Hauwei and am very impressed with its photos

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
..Also the fast charging is called " supercharging " and boy its bloody fast alright! You`ve definately got the Play Store on there too.

Amy.B

Oct 12, 2018
Visit site
First thoughts were Google Pixel 2 xl or Samsung? Then i saw the great camera on Hauwei! And remembering that every Samsung i’ve had has had issues i was like hmmm! Wanting a fingerprint scanner on the front of a phone also counted the Pixel 2 XL out

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you have to say "OK Google, call Mum" or "Hey Google call Mum"... You can also send an sms or WhatsApp the same way or ask any question to get an answer... It's generally pretty accurate too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2