I'm confused. Please help me get the right P20 Pro version.

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok I'm a n00b and ignorant :-[ . I'm in the U.S. and never purchased a "non-US" device. But I want to try something new ( nice to know ya Samsung ) and looking at the P20 Pro. I'm confused on what the correct or "best" version is for a U.S. customer on ATT.

Theres single sim versions. Dual sim versions. International versions. Non-International versions etc.. Which do I get? And how do I know if it comes with a U.S. charger?

Is this the correct one for me?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHDMHR1/ref=psdc_2407749011_rv_t1_B07CGCG23Q

Thanks for any assistance.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
either way it should work with your network the only benefit with the dual is if you travel outside of your country you can have both sims on there without having to remove one.

anti-duck

Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
Dunno why my reply hasn't shown up, but you could save yourself a lot of hassle and go for the unlocked Canadian version, that way it wouldn't be a pain if it needed a warranty repair or replacement and it would come with a US/Canada supercharge brick. But any P20 Pro is going to work in the US on a GSM network such as AT&T, what you want to be looking for really is seller warranty and whether Google services have been pre-installed (if applicable), most will come with an adaptor but a foreign Huawei supercharge brick, but if that bothers you, you could just but an American Huawei supercharge brick.

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Dunno why my reply hasn't shown up, but you could save yourself a lot of hassle and go for the unlocked Canadian version, that way it wouldn't be a pain if it needed a warranty repair or replacement and it would come with a US/Canada supercharge brick. But any P20 Pro is going to work in the US on a GSM network such as AT&T, what you want to be looking for really is seller warranty and whether Google services have been pre-installed (if applicable), most will come with an adaptor but a foreign Huawei supercharge brick, but if that bothers you, you could just but an American Huawei supercharge brick.

Thanks for the info! Where's the best/first place I should start looking for the Canadian version? How do you determine if it's a Canadian version? They all just seem to say International.

anti-duck

Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the info! Where's the best/first place I should start looking for the Canadian version? How do you determine if it's a Canadian version? They all just seem to say International.

Just go here https://consumer.huawei.com/ca/phones/

Click 'BUY' under the P20 Pro and it'll pop up with a list of authorised retailers selling the actual Canadian version with a manufacturer warranty. The 'international version' just refers to the dual-sim version with the international firmware I believe; basically anywhere outside of China, Hong Kong, Australia, United Arab Emirates, Europe, Israel, Japan and Taiwan.

I say 'Canadian version' because it comes with Canadian accessories and Canadian manufacturer warranty, but it will have international firmware; it is basically the international version with a Canadian/US supercharger.

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just go here https://consumer.huawei.com/ca/phones/

Click 'BUY' under the P20 Pro and it'll pop up with a list of authorised retailers selling the actual Canadian version with a manufacturer warranty. The 'international version' just refers to the dual-sim version with the international firmware I believe; basically anywhere outside of China, Hong Kong, Australia, United Arab Emirates, Europe, Israel, Japan and Taiwan.

I say 'Canadian version' because it comes with Canadian accessories and Canadian manufacturer warranty, but it will have international firmware; it is basically the international version with a Canadian/US supercharger.

Awesome. Thanks!

Wow it's so much more expensive. About $500 more than the unlocked international version.:(

Last edited by a moderator:

nlm

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
Check that the Canadian version (clt-104) offers the same bands as ATT. That is the main reason for the different versions, the radio bands. Also I believe you will have to register your IMEI with ATT. Check with them or do a search online.

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Are you looking at the prices in CAD?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6385992

That one sold by amazon.ca, whilst more expensive than the marketplace sellers on Amazon, it doesn't seem that bad, ~$860 USD.

Thanks for the correction. My conversion came out to $1,100-ish USD for some reason. $860 is still a bit higher but much more reasonable haha.

Check that the Canadian version (clt-104) offers the same bands as ATT. That is the main reason for the different versions, the radio bands. Also I believe you will have to register your IMEI with ATT. Check with them or do a search online.

Is clt-104 the official Canadian version? I've seen that number listed on a few ebay listings.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
clt-L04 is the Canadian vers

you can buy one outright from Rogers directly they're the cheapest

anti-duck

Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
It's weird with Huawei, there isn't any GSM frequency locking/unlocking between the different versions, it was the same with the Mate 10 Pro - L04, L09, L29, AL00 and AL01 all have exactly the same GSM frequencies unlocked, the difference is that some have CDMA unlocked (used for Verizon and Sprint in the US). L04 definitely has everything covered to use with AT&T - 3G bands 2 and 5 for calls, LTE bands 2, 4, 5 and 17.

Just check that IMEI stuff.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Not true you can just buy the phone outright you're not entitled to have a plan with them. All phones sold in Canada now are unlocked you're no longer forced to stay with the carrier.

Last edited:

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Not true you can just buy the phone outright you're not entitled to have a plan with them. All phones sold in Canada now are unlocked you're no longer forced to stay with the carrier.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to contact them and see. It wouldn't let me add to cart without choosing a plan.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm heading out of town so I'll pick this back up in a few days.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
no you'll need to go right into the store i don't think you can do it online. If you go right into the store you can just buy the phone outright. They shouldn't be forcing you to get on their plan. I bought mine outright at Telus at that time when it first release they had the best price until they changed it.

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
no you'll need to go right into the store i don't think you can do it online. If you go right into the store you can just buy the phone outright. They shouldn't be forcing you to get on their plan. I bought mine outright at Telus at that time when it first release they had the best price until they changed it.

Ahh, well that would be a problem since I live way down in Texas. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair