Android Pie on boxing day . Bell Canada

spantch101

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
This is the about screen. Has anyone really noticed much change in the features battery ..or is it too soon to know. etc ?

Attachments

• 56796.jpg
    56796.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 68

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
On Rogers too but I signed up my Father with Koodo which is Telus last month.

If I barrow his SIM card will it upgrade? The phone is from Rogers.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
unfortunately Rogers sucks still waiting.........
How's Pie so far see any improvements?

Well from what I am seeing this whole EMUI 9.0 rollout is a bit of a fiasco of sorts, can't recall see anything like it before... kept hearing "the rollout is gradual and may take a few days before it hits your device" yet appears more like days are turning into weeks.

As for improvements (got it on my Telus P20 Pro Xmas day)... fewer menus, more intuitive w/easy one-handed operation, gesture navigation, a more consistent design. Supposedly faster too which I can say yes it does feel quicker although we've had limited time with it. There's more but haven't totally gone through them all.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
The lack of software updates actually has me contemplating dumping Huawei. I think my last security update was October.

That's a bummer sorry to hear that. :-\

I too am contemplating jumping off the Huawei Ship. The phone itself initially impressed me but everything since has definitely not! IMHO this EMUI 9.0 rollout has turned into a fiasco, a real eye opener to say the least. Yeah maybe it's the carrier's doing (in spite) yet it is the customer/consumer who takes the brunt of it and I personally don't want any part of that.

PS... should have mentioned that ending up with the Nov Patch (was on Sept's) after the EMUI 9.0 update didn't impress me either - Dec's was out on the 5th.

Last edited:

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
For me it makes no difference coz no matter what phone manufacturer I go with Im always left waiting for updates. This is my third android phone. First went with Samsung, then Motorola & now Huawei. What phones are actually prompt with updates apart from the Pixel phones?

nlm

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
Good god the sound control on 9.0 is annoying. Pressing the volume button you only get to choose one setting to control the volume, such as Ringtone or Media. There is no arrow to open all 4 volumes but a direct to settings button but in that menu changing the volume gives sample sound levels. Highly annoying when in public and just annoying to have to go to a second screen for full volume control in general.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
For me it makes no difference coz no matter what phone manufacturer I go with Im always left waiting for updates. This is my third android phone. First went with Samsung, then Motorola & now Huawei. What phones are actually prompt with updates apart from the Pixel phones?

Making a difference for me. Wasn’t always the case but now that many of these devices have gotten more sophisticated (usefulness being sustainable for longer), higher priced, security concerns, etc. I do expect companies to show they are committing more to the support end of things especially now going into 2019 – I’d probably be onboard Apple’s “iShip” for this single reason (support) if it weren’t for their insane pricing strategies (iWantMore for less) along with a few other dislikes - If a company is only interested in pumping out new devices then I’ll move on.

Samsung hasn't had the best track record in regards to support either yet my 34 month old GS7 Edge has been getting regular security updates in 2018 (on Nov's). In comparison, our P20 Pro got I think two in nearly 9 months of ownership, not counting that which came with UMUI 9.0 which ended up being only Nov's anyway. One would have thunk a 2018 flagship would be better supported than that which came out in 2016 but for me twasn't the case.
My BlackBerry (Android) bought late 2017 received regular updates for seven months then fell off the wagon. Our Windows Phones have been receiving monthly security updates though LOL.

Dunno but the Pixel looks more enticing each and every day although I was a little disappointed they opted for only 4GB RAM on their latest offerings. The "Essential Phone 2" would have been easily a contender (if it were to be) as I was thoroughly impressed how they supported the first offering considering all that had happened. Nokia is lurking in the wings so keeping an eye on them. Wiped Samsung's flagships off my list for the simple fact we don't like curved displays, think they are less apt to support the mid to low range as well. LG, lost interest after my G4 (great phone) and haven't looked back. Unless we see substantial improvements w/Huawei on the support end they’ll become a has-been to me as well no matter how awesome their hardware becomes.

So, curious to see what 2019 has in store, better support or same old?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad