Google Pay Declined Message

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't really sure where to put this, so though I would try the forum the phone it is running on (P20 Pro)

So, for some reason Google Pay has stopped working, when using it from the phone in stores (asda, etc). I have the correct card added to google pay, in that I have a Google Data Storage subscription that gets taken out each month from the card registered on Google Pay

However, when I use Google Pay on the phone, I get a declined message, however, if I then take out the actual card (that is registered) and pay with that, the payment goes through with no problems, so it is not the card problem

Am completely stumped on what this could be

Thanks in advance

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually... it COULD be the card's problem (your physical card and card info for automatic payments might match, but the one used for NFC payments is actually a virtual card, and that is different(ish) than your main card. It uses a randomized token every time you use it, too.)

I'd try removing/re-adding the card to see if, for some reason, the bank just needs to re-authorize the link with the virtual card. But if you don't want to go through the hassle of setting up your automatic payments again, try it with another card.

I suggest you test it in terminals that don't require input from the cashier (like self-checkout or vending machines). Most of the time the error comes when the cashier has to prompt for credit or debit or initiate a payment, and they end up screwing it up.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I had tried removing the card and re adding as well as uninstalling Google pay and reinstall, same problem

Think I might try a call to the bank, although when I sent them a message about it, they said they saw no decline so must be within Google pay

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try another card and check if your NFC chip is working properly if you can (another phone for file transfer or NFC-enabled headphones...something).

Trevm

May 28, 2019
Visit site
Just found this while researching the same problem. My Google Pay, also on a P20 Pro, has started getting declined every time even though the the card is fine.

I also reinstalled the app and re-registered the card to no avail. My bank say they can see the card is registered correctly with Google but they have no record of the attempted transactions and the bank are not declining the payments.

Waiting for a response from Google now.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I removed all my cards from google pay, and remove the app from the phone. I then left it for about 2-3 weeks, then re-installed and re-added my cards, it seemed to be working after that

Wondering if that time allowed everything to "sync" up ... but it is definitely working now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89