Android Q

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's subject to change. Since it won't be released until about November (although it's already looking pretty good), Huawei phones may not get more than whatever beta has been released by the middle of August.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I hope i do get android Q but can upgrade in June next year so I may get a new phone before the update comes. Shame really coz I wanted to stay with this phone for as long as possible.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Can't say I've personally been overly impressed w/Huawei's update delivery on my P20 Series phone's and with the present situation, expecting "time" to be added... Still waiting on EMUI 9.1 which we're not expecting to see for a while. As you stated Lucy, it might be time to upgrade before "Q" arrives, definitely a possible reality.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Can't say I've personally been overly impressed w/Huawei's update delivery on my P20 Series phone's and with the present situation, expecting "time" to be added... Still waiting on EMUI 9.1 which we're not expecting to see for a while. As you stated Lucy, it might be time to upgrade before "Q" arrives, definitely a possible reality.

I can't upgrade any earlier than June next year if I do will have to pay the rest of this contract off in one go which I can't afford. Found this though. https://www.huaweicentral.com/exclu...ei-p20-series-and-nova-3-series-in-july-2019/ maybe 9.1 will be here sooner than I thought.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I can't upgrade any earlier than June next year if I do will have to pay the rest of this contract off in one go which I can't afford. Found this though. https://www.huaweicentral.com/exclu...ei-p20-series-and-nova-3-series-in-july-2019/ maybe 9.1 will be here sooner than I thought.

When first heard Pie was coming took quite a long time before it actually landed in my court... Around the globe still hearing not all P20 Series have gotten it yet. The GPU turbo update plus a few other enhancements, I can't quite recall right now, took literaly months before my devices received after launched. Security Patches have been somewhat hit or miss too.

So essentially I am not expecting anything timely here. Huawei is better than some yet scattered imo.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm taking those dates with a grain of salt anticipating my P20 Series devices to have it by Sept, maybe. If I am wrong then it'll be a bonus LOL. At the end of the day it'll be "better late than never" I suppose.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not the EMUI updates you have o worry about. EMUI is a Huawei product, and they can keep releasing new versions for decades. It's Android that they won't be able to release after - probably - September. (Google can still ship the September update o them at the beginning of August, which is the normal schedule.) After that, the "Android" part of the firmware will have to be replaced by something else and, since ARM (the System-on-Chip in an Android phone) is part of what they can no longer buy, they'll have to come up with their own silicon (or, at least, Chinese silicon) to run their own system. (MIPS is going open source, but the last version of Android ported to MIPS was around 4.0.)

So current phones would probably use Hongmeng (presumably running in Linux, the way Android does), but coming out with new phones would be a problem. They could come out with a phone using a Kirin SoC and more storage, more RAM, any new open source additions (like new Bluetooth protocols or new Wifi protocols), but they wouldn't be able to come out with phones compatible with US 5G standards. And, even though some Chinese company has bought a 4nm silicon foundry, going from the foundry to an SoC is going to take years.

But the current phone will still work and it's still going to run Pie (I don't see it running Q). And if you don't have Google apps on it, you can still go to GApps and install them ... so current owners have very little to worry about. (And from what I see in the Q beta, it's just more of the same - nothing exciting except for continued security patches (which will probably appear in AOSP, so Huawei can still apply them as security updates.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL