Android 9 update cannot change preferred network mode

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Very likely, when called them today 1st line support were unaware, but 3rd line knew it was no longer an option straight away.

I can use call divert for incoming calls but obviously outgoing is a no go, fortunately only a few months from end of contract - may be go with a basic retro phone limited to 2G only.
You could try using the search option in the settings, typing "preferred", just in case this option is kind of hidden in a different place. Long shot but worth trying.

Saots

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
Full credit to EE (my UK carrier) today who called back.

Apparently this carrier blocking is not across all Android phones, it would be costly but I could swap to another Android device and hope it doesn't get knobbled in the future.

Lots of third party apps which in essence are just shortcuts to the preferred network settings where available.

Cheers for all the responses.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Full credit to EE (my UK carrier) today who called back.

Apparently this carrier blocking is not across all Android phones, it would be costly but I could swap to another Android device and hope it doesn't get knobbled in the future.

Lots of third party apps which in essence are just shortcuts to the preferred network settings where available.

Cheers for all the responses.
If you have friends or realtive and they have a Android try your sim see if you get those feature

Saots

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
If you have friends or realtive and they have a Android try your sim see if you get those feature

Yup, that's a great idea, will give that a go.

The tech person who called back als has a huawei phone (not sure which model) with v10 of Android, she confirmed those settings are available - wondering if it's just on v9, tried to upgrade but states that I have latest version.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yup, that's a great idea, will give that a go.

The tech person who called back als has a huawei phone (not sure which model) with v10 of Android, she confirmed those settings are available - wondering if it's just on v9, tried to upgrade but states that I have latest version.
Keep us posted !

Saots

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
Update

Guess what, fixed it -

Thanks to someone looking to make WiFi calls instead of cellular, their workaround is to flip the phone into Air Plane mode - this knocks out cellular altogether defaulting back to WiFi.

Actually, this is a much better option that preferred network selection as it still tries to latch onto 3G every now and then.

Cheers for the replies folks!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Update

Guess what, fixed it -

Thanks to someone looking to make WiFi calls instead of cellular, their workaround is to flip the phone into Air Plane mode - this knocks out cellular altogether defaulting back to WiFi.

Actually, this is a much better option that preferred network selection as it still tries to latch onto 3G every now and then.

Cheers for the replies folks!
Thanks for the follow-up , glad it's good now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox