Looking at, comparing, my current S20 and P30/P30 Pro

tpapictures

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I've got an S20 but will have to return it due to these ridiculous financing (leasing, let's be honest) plans that exist now. The price I'd have to pay to keep it or even an open box S20 or something is way more than what I can get a new P30 for. I've been studying the specs a lot, and it comes down to a few simple things, the question I have is quite simple...

In looking at the P30 or P30 Pro...

- Night mode or any effects based photography is of no use to me. I take photos at night to take photos at night, I don't want to see light where there isn't any.

- I'm a photographer and filmmaker and primarily use DSLRs and pro cameras so mobile phone trickery to create on the fly effects are truly pointless to me.

- If I've ever taken a photo with zoom over the last 15 years it's been to read something or see something a far distance away. Again, I'm old fashioned, but without glass, zoom isn't zoom, and 3x..5x.. we're not talking leaps and bounds here.

- I prefer a phone that shoots 24fps, that's the filmmaker in me talking, but again, I'm not doing any of my serious filmmaking projects with a phone so this is more pointless pickiness than necessity.

- I need smooth operations in the UI and OS. I don't like the OneUI look, feel, or immersion into the phone with Samsung's software everywhere, gallery is a nightmare of trendy effects and "story-telling" photo arrangement modes.

- I do like the latitude and just what the raw camera can do on the P30 vs the S20. Normal and manual mode is all I shoot and in those in specs and good samples, the P30 seems to do far better than the S20.

Questions:

1. Would you maybe just find a way to keep the S20?
2. For my needs, I don't really have any use for the far more expensive P30 Pro, do I?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out. Am I missing something? The P30 being better for MY needs given the financial and tech elements is what my research is telling me.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello! I can totally understand you wanting to buy the P30. Huawei's OS is amazing and the camera is great, to boot. Where are you located, and what carrier are you with? Ensure that the P30's bands will match the bands of your carrier.

To answer your question, I think if you are unhappy with your S20, that's all that matters! You can always return it and try the P30. If you don't like it, you can then make a new decision.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide! :)

tpapictures

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
.Good luck, and let us know what you decide! :)
We went with the P30 Pro.
Still have concerns about the jittery stabilisation on video and I think I'll miss the 24p but I hope this phone has better all around camera than the S20 and that the OS UI is less "design-y" than One UI which I've never liked. Too Apple-ish and invasive for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781