Huawei P30 fingerprint icon is showing up on the idle phone screen

Paul Z1

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Got my Huawei P30 3 days ago and noticed one suspicious behavior on the idle phone, even when I'm quite far, and there are no moving objects near the phone - it would display the fingerprint icon on the black, idle screen. While it is not a big deal, I am wondering if anyone else encountered this? It happens regardless of the phone cover (I have a standard, original huawei silicone car one but I tested it without the cover as well). I have also disabled face recognition and all functions related to it without any effect.

Thanks,
Paul

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Got my Huawei P30 3 days ago and noticed one suspicious behavior on the idle phone, even when I'm quite far, and there are no moving objects near the phone - it would display the fingerprint icon on the black, idle screen. While it is not a big deal, I am wondering if anyone else encountered this? It happens regardless of the phone cover (I have a standard, original huawei silicone car one but I tested it without the cover as well). I have also disabled face recognition and all functions related to it without any effect.

Thanks,
Paul
They have already shipped the new phones? I thought they began shipping on April 5th? Or do you have a review unit?

Paul Z1

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
I got mine 3 days ago in Prague, and there was a Huawei Watch GT included as a free gift, it's available here - I guess they were testing EU market or region starting with Czech Republic... Btw. the phone is great overall, just this tiny weird behavior makes me wonder if the screen is just not too sensitive and would show the icon randomly.. no idea. Looks like I won't get an answer soon :)

Paul Z1

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
Compared to Honor 8 (the older type on the back of the phone) I would say it's the same speed - but you need to remember which part of the screen should be pressed, of course the icon will pop up but you may go a little off that place and you will have to scan your finger again using the right spot... when you see the physical one, it's definitely easier as you feel the edges of the scanner. I would not mind to have it on the back of the phone but this I guess is more trendy ;) Now this feature is causing my concern as the mentioned icon would pop up on its own and it consumes some battery, and distracts you as you may think there is a new message or phone call coming... Anyone else encounter this? @easycue1974 how about you? Can you test it for me on your P30 ?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks,
Paul

Do you have a screen protector on the phone? The only time I see the fingerprint icon appear on my Mate 20 Pro is when I touch any part of the screen when it's idle. Maybe something triggering the screen touch?

Paul Z1

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
They put some tiny foil/protector on P30 and P30 Pro by default - so yes, there is some sort of screen protector but I have not put it on the screen myself. The sensor icon would also appear when I take the phone up from the desk (horizontal position to a vertical position of the device).

Paul Z1

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
Just a quick update - I have posted info about this problem on the Czech huafan forum and others confirmed that they've also noticed this behavior. People mention time interval of approx 15 or 30 seconds when the touch sensor icon appears on the black, idle screen. Btw. always-on-display is off. Face recognition feature does not affect this (it can be enabled or disabled).

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a quick update - I have posted info about this problem on the Czech huafan forum and others confirmed that they've also noticed this behavior. People mention time interval of approx 15 or 30 seconds when the touch sensor icon appears on the black, idle screen. Btw. always-on-display is off. Face recognition feature does not affect this (it can be enabled or disabled).
So, this is starting to sound maybe like an issue that Huawei will have to look into. Do you have trade in options or warranty?

Paul Z1

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the info. That's a deal-breaker to me. Will have to keep waiting for a model with a LED to come out.

There is an 'always-on-display' feature instead. I realize that it's not the same but I guess with less and less space on the device it's hard to keep a LED light there. I really love that P30, battery life has exceeded my expectations, camera and the overall performance is smashing. I also like the eye-comfort feature which I use all the time. Someone on the Czech huafan forum mentioned that there will be an update to handle notifications better. Btw. they've also added Huwawei Watch GT watch as a gift for those buying P30 or P30 pro here in Czech republic (first 3 days on partnering websites - major ecommerce electronic retailers), I can see that today the price is unchanged but they no longer add the free smart watch.

Paul Z1

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
So, this is starting to sound maybe like an issue that Huawei will have to look into. Do you have trade in options or warranty?

Of course, it's a brand new phone purchased from a major ecommerce player with physical stores here in Prague. There is a warranty and you can also return any item you order online within 14 days of delivery or store pickup, they just inspect the item, and you get a full refund. Since others confirmed this problem, I believe it's just a matter of an update, and the fingerprint icon will stop popping up.

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Of course, it's a brand new phone purchased from a major ecommerce player with physical stores here in Prague. There is a warranty and you can also return any item you order online within 14 days of delivery or store pickup, they just inspect the item, and you get a full refund. Since others confirmed this problem, I believe it's just a matter of an update, and the fingerprint icon will stop popping up.
That's great.
Hope everything works out for you.

johnsamuels

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, I picked up mine at a store in Rome, Italy. No sign of the fingerprint issue. I hope you get it resolved without pain.

Paul Z1

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
Yesterday, I picked up mine at a store in Rome, Italy. No sign of the fingerprint issue. I hope you get it resolved without pain.

Is it P30 or P30 pro? Please activate the fingerprint sensor first, and then leave the phone somewhere on the table - and watch it for around 30-40 seconds - the fingerprint icon should pop up. If not, perhaps it's indeed a hardware issue only on some of the P30s...