The flat screen and form factor are appealing even if I think they have removed maybe a few too many things vs the pro.

Overlooking the biometrics I have to say I am really tempted though, a great size, flat screen, very good camera and I’d expect good battery too.

Thoughts?
    04-02-2019 04:03 PM
    I will get the P30. To me it's not many drawbacks really, I don't need the 5x optical zoom, 3x is good enough. Battery life on P30 is still very good from what I've seen in videos. Flat screen in a smaller form factor is mainly why I choose the regular P30.
    04-02-2019 05:03 PM
    Those are the 2 reasons it has me curious. I have a love/hate relationship with really big screens.

Would have preferred the S10/10+ approach, I think the 2 big shortcomings are no wireless charging and the lack of ois in the main camera. In day to day use though probably not a huge deal.

The 6.1 screen and flat panel with near flagship specs is pretty attractive.
    04-02-2019 05:34 PM
    Yeah its flat display is appealing to me as well. Lots of other reason for me to upgrade from the P20... screen res, CPU/GPU, RAM, cameras, 3.5mm jack, Blutooth 5.0, battery, etc. Yet we are still very very content with the P20, and Pro, plus we are saving a couple of hundred bucks or more to boot. We'll see where they are next year and maybe we'll jump in then.
    04-02-2019 08:13 PM
    Don't know what the big fuss is over the Curved displays. The P30 Pro has a very large Flat Surface Area, much larger than the Mate 20 Pro has, the P30 Pro display feels more flat vs. Mate 20 Pro.
    sledge007 likes this.
    04-03-2019 05:40 AM
    Agreed, for me though it is accidental touches, palm rejection and some edge distortion that bugs me and the smaller the bezels get the worse it is e g. The S10 plus is worse than the S9 plus or note 9 in this regard.
    04-03-2019 06:04 AM
    Drawback for curved edge display is just how vulnerable the screen is to drops and breaks even with a case on because the sides are left exposed. I've dropped and smashed Galaxy S7edge, S8 Plus and the Note 8 all with Spigen cases on and all from small drops. That's my biggest concern with the new Huawei's.
    BUT...on the plus side the Pie 9.0 gestures are now SO much easier to use when you have a case on. With the flat screen it was futile trying to swipe in from the sides to go back so you had to use 3 button Nav Bar or another method
    04-03-2019 06:47 AM
    I've ordered the P30 having had a good play with that and the Pro last Friday. I hate curved screens, and being short-sighted, the 1080 width on the Pro isn't high-res enough for me on type. The P30 is just about OK. Good point about the side swipes on the curved edges though, probably no good on the P30 with raised edges on the case. It's a shame the P30 doesn't have OIS on the main camera, other than that, I'm happy with the specs, and 3x optical tele should still be useful. I'm more interested in the ultra-wide. The S10 was tempting with 1440 width, but I couldn't live with the hole punch on photos.
    04-03-2019 08:57 PM
    Yes, I am attracted to the P30 as it's £200 less than the Pro.

What are the "shortcomings" other than IP rating and wireless charging? Is it that it "only" offers 3x zoom? Other than that is the camera setup and quality (for all cameras front and back) identical?
    04-04-2019 03:25 AM
    No image stabilisation on the main camera, f1.8 vs f1.6 on the main camera, the zoom, wireless charging, ip rating. I think that is it.

In the plus column flat screen, headphone jack, more manageable footprint, £200 cheaper. It could be my imagination but from the pictures the top and bottom bezels look slightly smaller on the non-pro?
    04-04-2019 03:31 AM
    I've ordered the P30 having had a good play with that and the Pro last Friday. I hate curved screens, and being short-sighted, the 1080 width on the Pro isn't high-res enough for me on type. The P30 is just about OK. Good point about the side swipes on the curved edges though, probably no good on the P30 with raised edges on the case. It's a shame the P30 doesn't have OIS on the main camera, other than that, I'm happy with the specs, and 3x optical tele should still be useful. I'm more interested in the ultra-wide. The S10 was tempting with 1440 width, but I couldn't live with the hole punch on photos.
    Please elaborate on the display density. Are pixels noticeable then?
    04-04-2019 03:44 AM
    No image stabilisation on the main camera, f1.8 vs f1.6 on the main camera, the zoom, wireless charging, ip rating. I think that is it.

In the plus column flat screen, headphone jack, more manageable footprint, £200 cheaper. It could be my imagination but from the pictures the top and bottom bezels look slightly smaller on the non-pro?
    Does the lack of OIS make a real difference? Or is it only in low lighting conditions that results might not be so sharp?
    04-04-2019 03:46 AM
    Guess everyone has their tastes

The standard P30 is great to, the dimensions on it are a lot more manageable to for most people, very impressive device,i played with it side-by-side with my P30 Pro.
    04-04-2019 05:16 PM
    Please elaborate on the display density. Are pixels noticeable then?
    For me, yes, but it's more the OLED fizz. Without glasses, I focus about 11" away, and have got used to my HTC 10, which is 1440 width on a 5.2" QHD SLCD screen that is dead sharp (564ppi). I generally dislike type on OLED screens, as the edges often have a slight rainbow effect. The P30 being smaller at the same resolution is acceptable, but the Pro should have been QHD+ like the Mate 20 Pro. If you're not short-sighted, they are probably both fine. Huawei also seem to add a slight white shadow to UI type, which I find annoying.
    04-04-2019 09:45 PM
    For me, yes, but it's more the OLED fizz. Without glasses, I focus about 11" away, and have got used to my HTC 10, which is 1440 width on a 5.2" QHD SLCD screen that is dead sharp (564ppi). I generally dislike type on OLED screens, as the edges often have a slight rainbow effect. The P30 being smaller at the same resolution is acceptable, but the Pro should have been QHD+ like the Mate 20 Pro. If you're not short-sighted, they are probably both fine. Huawei also seem to add a slight white shadow to UI type, which I find annoying.
    I had the HTC 10 and I loved the QHD display. Shame it wasn't OLED though (for always-on display).

I hate the app draw icon on EMUI... This isn't Lollipop 2015!!! So tacky. Why not a swipe up gesture?
    04-06-2019 11:50 AM