Mate 20 pro vs P30 pro

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Guys iam using mate 20 pro since months now and very happy with the phone... P30 Pro just launched here in India with pre order u getting free GT watch... Just confused
Any owners of P30 Pro can help me here
1) how's are the speakers
2) does it have notifications light
3) how fast is in screen finger print
4) display compared to mate 20 pro
5)battery life
Thank u
Or I should wait for Mate 30 pro

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Guys iam using mate 20 pro since months now and very happy with the phone... P30 Pro just launched here in India with pre order u getting free GT watch... Just confused
5)battery life
Thank u
Me personally I think the Mate 20 pro is better looking phone, but looks like the Mate 30 has better camera and screen

chris377

May 7, 2014
Visit site
hello, my experience so far
1) very good but i dont listen to music, i watch netflix and the sound is great
2) no led, but there is AOD
3)very fast and very rarely misses
4) dont know but it is great
5)epic, also fast charging is phenomenal

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
5)battery life
Thank u

I've got both Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro and here are thoughts on the above.

1. Loudspeaker is Mono, so worse than Mate 20 Pro, however the Acoustic Display earpiece for calls is great and better than the standard earpiece in Mate 20 Pro.

2. Nope, no Notifications Light, the AOD of the P30 Pro in EMUI9.1 saves it though, as it supports 3rd party apps.

3. In screen Fingerprint Scanner of the P30 Pro is a major leap from the Mate 20 Pro, it's faster and a lot more reliable.

4. P30 Pro display is a stepback from the Mate 20 Pro display in quality, however the Size and Smaller notch are great, I can now see more notifications.

5. Battery life on the P30 Pro is better than Mate 20 Pro which already had legendary battery life. The Mate 20 Pro battery should get better with EMUI9.1.

To end off, I'd say wait for the Mate 30 Pro as it will bring all the P30 Pro benefits, with all the Mate 20 Pro benefits like Higher Resolution display, but with newer SoC.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've got both Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro and here are thoughts on the above.

1. Loudspeaker is Mono, so worse than Mate 20 Pro, however the Acoustic Display earpiece for calls is great and better than the standard earpiece in Mate 20 Pro.

2. Nope, no Notifications Light, the AOD of the P30 Pro in EMUI9.1 saves it though, as it supports 3rd party apps.

3. In screen Fingerprint Scanner of the P30 Pro is a major leap from the Mate 20 Pro, it's faster and a lot more reliable.

4. P30 Pro display is a stepback from the Mate 20 Pro display in quality, however the Size and Smaller notch are great, I can now see more notifications.

5. Battery life on the P30 Pro is better than Mate 20 Pro which already had legendary battery life. The Mate 20 Pro battery should get better with EMUI9.1.

To end off, I'd say wait for the Mate 30 Pro as it will bring all the P30 Pro benefits, with all the Mate 20 Pro benefits like Higher Resolution display, but with newer SoC.
Surprised you said the mate p30 is step back in the quality of the screen , with them going to Samsung display thought be better then the lg and BOE screens .

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Surprised you said the mate p30 is step back in the quality of the screen , with them going to Samsung display thought be better then the lg and BOE screens .
Indeed, I prefer the Display Quality of the Mate 20 Pro due to it being a Higher Resolution, I used my Mate 20 Pro at WQHD+ all the time.

Don't get me wrong, the P30 Pro display is still great, and to most people would be more than enough, but for a nerd like me who can see the slightly jagged text in some apps, it's a step back.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Indeed, I prefer the Display Quality of the Mate 20 Pro due to it being a Higher Resolution, I used my Mate 20 Pro at WQHD+ all the time.

Don't get me wrong, the P30 Pro display is still great, and to most people would be more than enough, but for a nerd like me who can see the slightly jagged text in some apps, it's a step back.
Nice to hear your input on owning both devices.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanx guys for all the input...Decided to stay with Mate 20 pro and wait for Mate 30 pro...newaz new beta testing already started for Mate 20 pro based on android Pie 9.1...

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have owned both and have the P30 pro now.

I think the Mate 20 pro (in twilight) is the nicer looking device but only just, the breathing crystal is also lovely.

The Mate is ever so slightly smaller which could make a difference in how manageable you find it.

The Biometrics on the P30 pro are quicker and more reliable, you lose the more secure face unlock though. The FPS for example I have found the FPS to be super reliable so far.

The Mate screen has more resolution but I honestly I have not noticed this. The smaller notch and lack of edge colour shift gives the nod to the P30 for me though. The S10+ though blows them both out of the water!

Camera is a slight improvement so another for the P30

I would not pay to upgrade Mate to P30 but starting from scratch the price difference (at least in the UK) is not that big so IMO make the P30 the better option but only just!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I have owned both and have the P30 pro now.

I think the Mate 20 pro (in twilight) is the nicer looking device but only just, the breathing crystal is also lovely.

The Mate is ever so slightly smaller which could make a difference in how manageable you find it.

The Biometrics on the P30 pro are quicker and more reliable, you lose the more secure face unlock though. The FPS for example I have found the FPS to be super reliable so far.

The Mate screen has more resolution but I honestly I have not noticed this. The smaller notch and lack of edge colour shift gives the nod to the P30 for me though. The S10+ though blows them both out of the water!

Camera is a slight improvement so another for the P30

I would not pay to upgrade Mate to P30 but starting from scratch the price difference (at least in the UK) is not that big so IMO make the P30 the better option but only just!
Agreed.

I think the P30 Pro is more for people who missed the Mate 20 Pro, they would just rather get the P30 Pro right now.

But if someone already has a Mate 20 Pro, they would rather wait for the next big thing, which is the Mate 30 Pro.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Agreed.

I think the P30 Pro is more for people who missed the Mate 20 Pro, they would just rather get the P30 Pro right now.

But if someone already has a Mate 20 Pro, they would rather wait for the next big thing, which is the Mate 30 Pro.
Depends on price really. The Mate can be bought for under £500 now!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Depends on price really. The Mate can be bought for under £500 now!
Indeed. Tough choice between the two. The Mate 20 Pro is definitely better value for money due to the lower price, however if the Camera is a big thing to you then P30 Pro is the way to go

However the Mate 20 Pro camera is brilliant in its own right, lol, so yeah, very difficult decision, especially once the Mate 20 Pro gets EMUI9.1.

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
The biggest nonsense for me with p30 pro is why for such a high price include only 1080p screen and not 2k? MATE 20 Pro has 2k screen, so does my galaxy s7 that I upgraded from l, which I had for 3 years.
In 2019 on flagship that is unacceptable.
My choice of p30 over mate 20 was ram. THAI version of mate has 6gb ram while p30 has 8.

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
I have used both. The screen resolution on the p30 pro is garbage, you can literally see pixels during daylight on apps like Gmail etc where the background is white. Better to keep using mate 20 pro in case you don't care much about zoom. FPS is faster on p30 pro but the 3d face unlock is more reliable on mate 20 pro. Mate 20 pro is a better phone, in my opinion.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have used both. The screen resolution on the p30 pro is garbage, you can literally see pixels during daylight on apps like Gmail etc where the background is white. Better to keep using mate 20 pro in case you don't care much about zoom. FPS is faster on p30 pro but the 3d face unlock is more reliable on mate 20 pro. Mate 20 pro is a better phone, in my opinion.

Yeah that's y decided to stay with Mate 20 pro and and Mate 20 pro size is also perfect... Face unlock is super fast even the onscreen finger print is very good now after few updates... Wait what Mate 30 Pro offers

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Indeed. Tough choice between the two. The Mate 20 Pro is definitely better value for money due to the lower price, however if the Camera is a big thing to you then P30 Pro is the way to go

However the Mate 20 Pro camera is brilliant in its own right, lol, so yeah, very difficult decision, especially once the Mate 20 Pro gets EMUI9.1.
Do you know when it will get 9.1 with the nicer icons etc?

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
That's pathetic. Shame on Huawei. Not gonna look at getting the P30/Pro because I hate seeing pixels.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
That's pathetic. Shame on Huawei. Not gonna look at getting the P30/Pro because I hate seeing pixels.
Lol, it's not at all THAT bad, it's a very good display, I have it set to FHD+ full time, it's not as sooth as the Mate 20 Pro display, that's for sure, but it's more than enough for most people and the battery life gain is amazing.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Have both
Speaker is much louder on the P30 Pro, twice as loud and better clarity+quality too, speaker is better even though it's a single speaker. It sounds like a bluetooth speaker (better clarity and separation than S10+) whereas Mate 20 Pro's speakers can't really come close.
No notification LED but the AOD shows notifications for third party apps now.
FPS is faster than the one on the Mate 20 Pro.
Colours are better on the P30 Pro but resolution isn't as high. (Both use BOE panels btw Mate 20 Pro uses both BOE and LG, P30 Pro uses BOE, regular P30 uses inferior Samsung. It's always been BOE>Samsung.)
Battery life is better on the P30 Pro as well.

Keeping the P30 Pro and selling the Mate 20 Pro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles