Google bans Huawei:Are you worried?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Huawei has immediately lost access to Android and Google

Hackers might, though

This one is tough to say. The brand being big enough supports your argument, however, human nature to take the path of least resistance also supports the argument against it too.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site

Here in Canada if you buy a P30PRO...u get a free gt classic Smartwatch worth 300$.
Actually Huawei isn't going to pay millions or billions to be back in the USA because they aren't in the USA. Nobody in the USA sells their cell phones. Huawei used to be in the USA, but for broadband equipment, not cell phones. There was proof that spying could occur on the broadband equipment, not cell phones. Huawei tried to do damage control and they invited the press in America to come over to China and see Huawei. Tons of welcome to Huawei signs were all over China but when the press got to the building, they were denied access and they were sent home. It was all a PR stunt by China. So then America stopped dealing with Huawei and Huawei then closed their USA headquarters and permanently left. The United States does not sell Huawei cell phones. You can get a Huawei cell phone on Amazon or Ebay, which are online only and they come from Amazon with NO warranty which is another reason not to spend tons of money for a Huawei P30 Pro. I was ok with no warranty on phones less than $300 but I also get no support as well. Huawei might pay a bunch of money because even their own chips are made with material from certain American companies. But Huawei isn't going to pay to be back in the USA because they aren't in the USA.

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site

Actually Huawei isn't going to pay millions or billions to be back in the USA because they aren't in the USA. Nobody in the USA sells their cell phones. Huawei used to be in the USA, but for broadband equipment, not cell phones. There was proof that spying could occur on the broadband equipment, not cell phones. Huawei tried to do damage control and they invited the press in America to come over to China and see Huawei. Tons of welcome to Huawei signs were all over China but when the press got to the building, they were denied access and they were sent home. It was all a PR stunt by China. So then America stopped dealing with Huawei and Huawei then closed their USA headquarters and permanently left. The United States does not sell Huawei cell phones. You can get a Huawei cell phone on Amazon or Ebay, which are online only and they come from Amazon with NO warranty which is another reason not to spend tons of money for a Huawei P30 Pro. I was ok with no warranty on phones less than $300 but I also get no support as well. Huawei might pay a bunch of money because even their own chips are made with material from certain American companies. But Huawei isn't going to pay to be back in the USA because they aren't in the USA.

You can get them at B&H with a B&H warranty. For anyone that wants to live on the edge. ??????

thontz

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site

Bottom line is that Huawei is NOT popular in the United States. I have the blue version of the Huawei Mate 20 Lite that I got off eBay. People in the US are used to seeing boring Galaxy and iPhones and maybe occasionally a Pixel though those are rare to see people using as well. When people see my blue phone they ask what kind of phone it is. When I say Huawei, they say they've never heard of Huawei. When I show them that it has a "notch" and looks like an iPhone XsMax and I paid $250 for it, they want to know where to get it and why isn't this phone popular. I'm sure if Huawei was allowed to advertise and team up with cell phone carriers, they would be huge in America. But honestly I don't know even ONE person in America that owns a Huawei phone. I've never even seen one in the USA.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Not good...

Arm Suspends Business with Huawei - Future Chip Development In Jeopardy
In the latest event in the quickly moving saga that is Huawei’s technology export blacklisting by the United States Government, the BBC has published a report this morning claiming that IP vendor Arm has “suspend business” with Huawei and its subsidiaries. If this is correct, then it would represent a massive setback for Huawei’s hardware development efforts, as the company and its HiSilicon chip design subsidiary rely heavily on Arm’s IP for its products.

According to the BBC News report, Arm has almost entirely severed ties with Huawei, with the company instructing employees that they are not to “provide support, delivery technology (whether software, code, or other updates), engage in technical discussions, or otherwise discuss technical matters with Huawei, HiSilicon or any of the other named entities”.

Huawei, for its part, is one of Arm’s top customers and a close ecosystem partner, shipping countless numbers of chips and devices with Arm IP in it every year. The company is a leading-edge implementer of new Arm CPU and GPU IP, and in the last few years has been the first vendor to ship chips using Arm’s latest Cortex-A series CPUs. Furthermore, via HiSilicon, Huawei is also an ARMv8 CPU architectural licensee. As a result of their close workings with Arm, Huawei has built up a significant amount of their product portfolio around Arm technologies, including their Kirin consumer SoCs and Kunpeng server SoCs. So being cut off from Arm would touch virtually every aspect of Huawei’s hardware business, from smartphones to networking gear.

Meanwhile Arm, for its part, is headquartered in the UK and not the US. However as a multi-national company, Arm develops its technology around the world, including its major design centers in San Jose and Austin. As a result, according to the report, Arm has deemed that its designs contain “US origin technology”, and as a result make it subject to the US technology blacklist.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1437...h-huawei?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Actually I tend to see all this situation as a opportunity. A very good opportunity, indeed. As Huawei is responsible for 40% of world's smartphone market, is just obvious to think they won't stay calmly waiting for Google and US to finalize it. And I read a lot of times Huawei have a OS ready by itself. If some company have the hability and money to end the iOS and Android duopoly that's Huawei. So... Who knows? I would love to have options as I used to in good old days.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site

Whereas here in Canada Huawei devices ,phones and tablets are available with all service providers.

I just upgraded to the P30 Pro and the promo was amazing. You got a GT Classic Smartwatch free worth 399$ with every P30PRO upgrade on Rogers Wireless. So far the performance of the phone is amazing and the camera array is superb.

Bottom line is that Huawei is NOT popular in the United States. I have the blue version of the Huawei Mate 20 Lite that I got off eBay. People in the US are used to seeing boring Galaxy and iPhones and maybe occasionally a Pixel though those are rare to see people using as well. When people see my blue phone they ask what kind of phone it is. When I say Huawei, they say they've never heard of Huawei. When I show them that it has a "notch" and looks like an iPhone XsMax and I paid $250 for it, they want to know where to get it and why isn't this phone popular. I'm sure if Huawei was allowed to advertise and team up with cell phone carriers, they would be huge in America. But honestly I don't know even ONE person in America that owns a Huawei phone. I've never even seen one in the USA.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Actually I tend to see all this situation as a opportunity. A very good opportunity, indeed. As Huawei is responsible for 40% of world's smartphone market, is just obvious to think they won't stay calmly waiting for Google and US to finalize it. And I read a lot of times Huawei have a OS ready by itself. If some company have the hability and money to end the iOS and Android duopoly that's Huawei. So... Who knows? I would love to have options as I used to in good old days.

As stated in the video I linked -- it is very hard to get app devs & users to go to a new / unknown app store. Look at Microsoft -- they had to cave in and quit due to this reason.

Jean Lai Kan

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
As stated in the video I linked -- it is very hard to get app devs & users to go to a new / unknown app store. Look at Microsoft -- they had to cave in and quit due to this reason.

If Android apps can run without tweaks on the Huawei OS, I don't see why non US developers won't sell their apps on a Huawei apps store.

I heard that developers pay more than half the selling price of their apps to Google.
What if Huawei charges less or non at all at the beginning? That would interest developers
Also developers do get banned from Google Play.

I also think that the Huawei apps store, unlike Google Play, will be available in China. This means a lot of potential buyers from China

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If Android apps can run without tweaks on the Huawei OS, I don't see why non US developers won't sell their apps on a Huawei apps store.
I heard that developers pay more than half the selling price of their apps to Google.
Also developers can get banned from Google Play.

It definitely isn't 50%. Apple and Google (from what I last saw) charge 30%.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

Also developers can get banned from Google Play.

30% is the standard agreement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance