Google bans Huawei:Are you worried?

encelle111

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Huawei has immediately lost access to Android and Google

The Chinese are totally unscrupulous as a nation. Their economy relies on stolen intellectual property from abroad. Huawei fits into their master plan nicely, allowing them to intercept anything going through broadband. Hat's off to Trump and the British government.

DigbyTheDog

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
I would cancel the order or return it once you get it because this is a massive blow to Huawei. I wouldn't take the chance on getting Huawei phones, just not worth it now.

I've decided to return the phone (it was too late to cancel the order) and have ordered a different phone. It sucks because it took me so long to decide on the Huawei phone. Oh well, hopefully I'll get the chance to try it in a year or two.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
So,will this filter down to all the other major Chinese phone makers too or is it just Huawei? And as for Huawei being in the pockets of the Chinese government could it be said that Google are in the same situation with the US government?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, very. What does this mean for Canada - does anyone know? Only Rogers/Fido carries the P30 line. I was so tempted to buy it but now I doubt I will. And I have an Honor 8 we my back-up phone, and make frequent trips to the States.

Huawei is already fairly difficult to obtain in Canada (if you buy via a carrier - Newegg and other online stores do sell them). I worry that Huawei's shrinking presence in the States may affect Canadian sales. I have yet to see anything about Canada, Huawei, and Google. And if things are still hunky dory, how long will they be that way?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've decided to return the phone (it was too late to cancel the order) and have ordered a different phone. It sucks because it took me so long to decide on the Huawei phone. Oh well, hopefully I'll get the chance to try it in a year or two.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. What other phone did you decide on?

thontz

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site
Ok I have a question. I bought a Huawei Mate 20 Lite just three weeks ago. It was advertised as being able to be upgraded to Android Pie and EMUI 9.0. The phone only will not upgrade. Supposedly in late April, China got the Android Pie upgrade for this model, but not in America. It also is on EMUI 8.2 and it says it is "up to date". I love the phone but it's brand new and it's already outdated until I get Pie and EMUI 9.0. But after reading all of this, it sounds like I won't get it. Android is already talking about Q and I don't even have Pie. I do like the phone a lot but it isn't what the seller described as far as the software goes. I've also read quite a bit about Huawei's new OS. This will never fly. For example, I just upgraded my car stereo and it supports Android Auto and Apple Car Play. But it doesn't support Huawei OS and it never will at least in America. In the US, Huawei is non-existent. You can only get a Huawei phone through Amazon, with no warranty, or on eBay and that's it. So, I have 12 days left that I can return the phone before I am stuck with it. What do you all recommend and if I send it back, is there another phone comparable to the Mate 20 Lite that you recommend? I had a One Plus 6. I never use a phone for games or anything like that. I thought the camera was horrible, the display was terrible after they did an update, the battery life was awful, and the sound was the worst. I had the $629 version with the 8GB ram and 256GB storage. Then I got a $250 Huawei and I figured it would be worse but everything was so much better. But now I am going to lose my updates. So what does everyone recommend? Phone selection in the US sucks. Galaxy, iPhones, and Pixel are about it. They are all overpriced and I don't like any of those phones. Please help!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok I have a question. I bought a Huawei Mate 20 Lite just three weeks ago. It was advertised as being able to be upgraded to Android Pie and EMUI 9.0. The phone only will not upgrade. Supposedly in late April, China got the Android Pie upgrade for this model, but not in America. It also is on EMUI 8.2 and it says it is "up to date". I love the phone but it's brand new and it's already outdated until I get Pie and EMUI 9.0. But after reading all of this, it sounds like I won't get it. Android is already talking about Q and I don't even have Pie. I do like the phone a lot but it isn't what the seller described as far as the software goes. I've also read quite a bit about Huawei's new OS. This will never fly. For example, I just upgraded my car stereo and it supports Android Auto and Apple Car Play. But it doesn't support Huawei OS and it never will at least in America. In the US, Huawei is non-existent. You can only get a Huawei phone through Amazon, with no warranty, or on eBay and that's it. So, I have 12 days left that I can return the phone before I am stuck with it. What do you all recommend and if I send it back, is there another phone comparable to the Mate 20 Lite that you recommend? I had a One Plus 6. I never use a phone for games or anything like that. I thought the camera was horrible, the display was terrible after they did an update, the battery life was awful, and the sound was the worst. I had the $629 version with the 8GB ram and 256GB storage. Then I got a $250 Huawei and I figured it would be worse but everything was so much better. But now I am going to lose my updates. So what does everyone recommend? Phone selection in the US sucks. Galaxy, iPhones, and Pixel are about it. They are all overpriced and I don't like any of those phones. Please help!
I had great experience with my 1+6 but you didn't so that's out the window, maybe LG or Motorola ?

thontz

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site
I had the 8GB RAM + 256GB storage version of the One Plus 6. My thought was that if I bought the best model, it would last me a long time. But I never use it for games or anything heavy so it was an overkill. My biggest gripes were that the display in sunlight was not hard, but it is was impossible to see. I did MAX brightness and AUTO brightness and it just was terrible. And the camera was hit or miss. But, I may still have the phone....I sold it on eBay Sunday night and I have not gotten a payment for it and I have a bad feeling that the user isn't going to pay. I sold it for $400 but then Ebay takes a percentage and PayPal takes their cut and then I have to ship it, so I lost a ton on that phone but maybe I still own it, who knows. I've had good luck with a Motorola G5 Plus, but when I wanted a G6 Plus, it wasn't available in the USA. They had a crappy version which had half the specs and a higher cost. They did that again this year to the G7 Power. USA version has less memory and half the storage and costs $40 more. So that left a sour taste in my mouth about Motorola. I don't understand the whole USA LTE BANDS thing. I know AT&T uses bands 2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17. But most Chinese phones only have a couple of those numbers, yet I read that people use them in the USA and I see it on YouTube as well. I need to understand how the LTE thing works......

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site

Well my presumption is that canadian users of HUAWEI devices are immune since there's been zero mention of the Canadian market.

thontz

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site

Um, you better think again. Google makes Android software and Google is in America. So, when Google tells Huawei that they are blacklisted, then Huawei doesn't get ANY Android software, even for Canada. And even though Huawei designs their own chips and has a 6 month backup supply, they still get the materials for the chips from US companies. And Huawei's servers that run all of Huawei's programs run off of Intel processors through the backdoor and they run Windows which comes from America and Huawei even sells laptops with Windows software that comes from America. There was a 90 day cool off period today, but Huawei and China will need to change their stance because their business without Google for Android, without Intel for their servers, without Microsoft for their software, and without Broadcomm to help in materials for their chips, they are completely screwed. Canada offers nothing to Huawei.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site

Current in-market Huawei devices have already passed security testing so currently will have no issue getting updates, playstore, Gmail,YouTube etc will continue to work. However on new future launch devices these may disappear altogether.

thontz

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site

You're mostly right, but they aren't releasing the "fine print". For example, I have a Huawei Mate SE and a Mate 20 Lite. Now the Mate SE came with Android 7.0 and then was upgraded to 8.0 Oreo and it is done being updated. My Huawei Mate 20 Lite was made in 2018 but is still a new model. They FINALLY just released Android Pie, but ONLY in China. So it's been out for a year and Android Q is about ready but it still doesn't have Android Pie. Now, here is the problem. Huawei will continue to support Google and Android and security updates are handled through Google, not Huawei, so you'll get those. But Huawei has to make sure Android version updates are compatible before they release it. So, now I very much doubt I will be be getting Android Pie or Android Q on a new phone. I know that I will be able to use Google Play Store, but I'm upset because I paid XXXX for the phone because it was promised to work on Pie and it doesn't and won't. And it was supposed to be upgradable to Huawei's EMUI 9.0 software but I can only get 8.2 on it. So, I feel like I again bought an outdated phone again. It has USB-C and rapid charge and a good dual lens camera and an excellent battery and display, but the software is outdated. So yes Huawei is going to "support" their existing Android devices but it also sounds like they are going to roll out their new Huawei OS to their new phones which won't sell in America. Once Huawei focuses on their own OS, I really doubt that they will pay attention to Android. I think it will be sad if Huawei ditches Android but their main base of customers is in China and they like the different OS. Can you imagine having a third OS in America? I got got a new car stereo with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. I don't think it'll ever have "Huawei OS" anytime soon, especially in America. There has been a peace deal made for 90 days and hopefully they can get their issues resolved by then. And it's not Google's fault. The government is forcing them to do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz