40mp vs 10mp

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So i recently discovered that using 40mp and photo doesnt make the phone show Sharpening... Please Steady Your Device. While using 10mp shows it quite often.

And using 40mp doesnt allow wide, 5x zoom or 10x zoom. Can somebody explain how this camera works?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like 10MP is just a crop from the full sensor (zoomed in). The 40MP IS the full sensor image, so most digital on-the-fly-processing options are likely disabled due to the data size.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sounds like 10MP is just a crop from the full sensor (zoomed in). The 40MP IS the full sensor image, so most digital on-the-fly-processing options are likely disabled due to the data size.

Hi Spook, thanks for the reply. So its actually using real 40mp sensor but cropped 10mp sensor?

Mafiatounes

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The way 10mp works it uses pixel binning, meaning it uses 4 pixels and combines it into 1, with some software magic it should translate into a overal better picture if it works as intended

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The way 10mp works it uses pixel binning, meaning it uses 4 pixels and combines it into 1, with some software magic it should translate into a overal better picture if it works as intended

Ah thanks for the explanation. I was really confused on 10mp or 40mp...as i saw no difference at all... Except for the file size and histograph...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah thanks for the explanation. I was really confused on 10mp or 40mp...as i saw no difference at all... Except for the file size and histograph...
Pixel binning is supposed to act like a lower resolution sensor with large pixels. Larger pixels gather more light and with less noise. Pixel binning gives the same effect by grouping the pixels into 2x2 clusters, effectively using 4 pixels to simulate a single larger one. I haven't used this personally, but it's supposed result in a better overall photo thanks to greater clarity despite being a lower resolution. You wouldn't even notice the reduced resolution unless you're "pixel peeping" or making a large print out to view up close.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Usually for pixel peeking and should produce better quality pictures when blowing up your picture onto a bigger screen

Otherwise, 10mp is what is recommended when taking pictures.

Owh so if im planning to see the photo on a tv screen then i should use 40mp. But otherwise 10mp is a better option.

I had a friend who always switch megapixels... 40mp for food and 10mp for the rest. But I honestly didnt see any difference...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Viewing distance and image size play into this too. Consider a billboard, which can get away with a 2MP or less resolution due to the viewing distances. There's a diminishing point of returns when it comes to pixel count. At some point, you'll not notice the increased pixel count, but image quality can start to suffer. For large prints, you could easily get away with the 10MP setting unless you expect someone to get right up against the photo.

What would the 40MP setting be good for on such a small sensor? Cropping and zooming. If the lighting is good enough, you'll be able to photograph things further away and use digital zoom up to 2x and have the same pixel count as the full area 10MP image (remember that pixels are grouped as 2x2, hence 40MP reduced by 50% is 10MP). Your friend using it for food may be doing so to attempt capturing all the different textures. In ideal lighting, that could work, but hard to tell without seeing the photos and how the scene was lit.

That is, of course, assuming such a tiny lens can actually resolve that many pixels. Even on larger lenses like DSLR's, with much larger sensors and pixels, they still have trouble showing the full detail of these super high pixel counts. Anymore, it's basically a bragging rights game and little else.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Viewing distance and image size play into this too. Consider a billboard, which can get away with a 2MP or less resolution due to the viewing distances. There's a diminishing point of returns when it comes to pixel count. At some point, you'll not notice the increased pixel count, but image quality can start to suffer. For large prints, you could easily get away with the 10MP setting unless you expect someone to get right up against the photo.

What would the 40MP setting be good for on such a small sensor? Cropping and zooming. If the lighting is good enough, you'll be able to photograph things further away and use digital zoom up to 2x and have the same pixel count as the full area 10MP image (remember that pixels are grouped as 2x2, hence 40MP reduced by 50% is 10MP). Your friend using it for food may be doing so to attempt capturing all the different textures. In ideal lighting, that could work, but hard to tell without seeing the photos and how the scene was lit.

That is, of course, assuming such a tiny lens can actually resolve that many pixels. Even on larger lenses like DSLR's, with much larger sensors and pixels, they still have trouble showing the full detail of these super high pixel counts. Anymore, it's basically a bragging rights game and little else.

now thats a very detailed explaination.thanks a lot Moon.now im assured 10mp will do good for the photos i need...as i do not intend to blast the photo up to a billboard but yeah.thanks a lot.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
now thats a very detailed explaination.thanks a lot Moon.now im assured 10mp will do good for the photos i need...as i do not intend to blast the photo up to a billboard but yeah.thanks a lot.
No problem. I almost forgot, you mentioned putting the photos on your t.v. If you have a 4K tv, the resolution is 3840×2160, which works out to almost 8.3MP. That means you'll lose some detail regardless which photo resolution you start with. If this is your main concern, I'd definitely use the 10MP setting. Resizing can result in some odd artifacts, especially if it's a drastic resize. Starting with a 10MP resolution, the reduction for displaying on the t.v. shouldn't affect it much, plus you'll retain the image quality benefits of the pixel binning.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No problem. I almost forgot, you mentioned putting the photos on your t.v. If you have a 4K tv, the resolution is 3840×2160, which works out to almost 8.3MP. That means you'll lose some detail regardless which photo resolution you start with. If this is your main concern, I'd definitely use the 10MP setting. Resizing can result in some odd artifacts, especially if it's a drastic resize. Starting with a 10MP resolution, the reduction for displaying on the t.v. shouldn't affect it much, plus you'll retain the image quality benefits of the pixel binning.

erm no...was using tv as an example.hahaha.but well thanks for the more detailed explaination.now i should have no worries using 10mp.and thank you for your time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair