P30 Pro compass or software issue , calls + maps.

yiani

Sep 25, 2019
Visit site
Phone issue: maybe a compass or calibration issue?

1. Google maps, arrow points 'up' not in the direction of travel..
- when i click on my blue dot to calibrate the compass it says 'compass accuracy low'

2. Lately when i take calls and raise my phone to my ear, the phone no long 'sleeps' when at my ear, instead my ear ends up accidently hitting buttons on the screen, i.e. aeroplane mode or clicking torch...

is there something wrong with the calibration of my phones sensors? or is this some weird update that others are suffering with?

EMUI version 9.1.0
build 9.1.0.193

thanks!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you're navigating, what happens when you tap the compass icon -- does it toggle between North towards the top of the screen vs direction of travel toward the top of the screen?

For the screen issue, make sure the proximity sensor isn't blocked by anything, like a screen protector or a poorly fitting case. The sensor is usually right near the front-facing camera.

yiani

Sep 25, 2019
Visit site
so opening the compass app, it does not fucntion or move.

I have downloaded and tried other compass apps, all seem frozen north.

It seems the magnetic sensor in the phone is not functioning?

the auto brightness sensor doesn't seem to work any longer either.

do you think a factory reset would help get the sensors to work again or is it a hardware issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I wasn't referring to a compass "app" -- I meant the compass icon on the Google Maps navigation screen. Try an app like Sensor Box to make sure the magnetic sensor is present and working properly.

The auto-brightness sensor would be either the same as the proximity sensor or right next to it -- are you certain nothing is disrupting the area right by the front-facing camera? A screen protector? Dirty glass (like grease or some other residue)?

Before considering a factory reset, see if the problem persists in Safe Mode: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/huawei/huawei-p30-pro/safe-mode/

yiani

Sep 25, 2019
Visit site
thanks.

Yep tried google maps as well as compass and both don't function.
Google maps points 'up' not in the direction of north or the direction of travel

sensor box - with the phone flat and unmoving on the desk the accelorometer, gyro, gravity numbers are all jumping around, i'm not quite sure if thats normal - it doesn't tell me if anything is unusual...

i will try safe mode .

thanks for the advise!!

yiani

Sep 25, 2019
Visit site
safe mode is pretty limited.
can't use maps to test it or a compass app.

is a hard reset better than a soft one?

do you know how to save your homescreen setup so that it reloads with all your apps and widgets in the exact location (folders) they were before?

yiani

Sep 25, 2019
Visit site
so going into 'hi care' app the phone can do its own diagnoses....

my prox sensor and light sensor both show faults.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
HiCare sounds like a good idea. I try not to use the terms "hard" and "soft" reset, because it can mean different things to different people. Before you try that, do a cache partition wipe first, in case that does anything: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/huawei/huawei-p30-pro/wipe-cache/. If that doesn't help, then do a factory data reset, which you can do from either the system settings for the recovery menu: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/huawei/huawei-p30-pro/hardreset-second-method/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12