Battery Alerts

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm 78-years old, no Android expert, and no geek. I recently got a Huawei p30 Pro mostly for the camera. I am getting constant alerts for battery drain and the three programs are Google Photos, Wear OS, and a sound program I'm deleting.

I'm considering turning off the alerts but is there something I can do with photos and Wear OS to stop the "battery drain"?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is Google Photo set to back up automatically, even when on cellular data? If so, change it to wi-fi only.

I'm not sure if you can do much about Wear OS, because restricting its use in the background might impact how your watch updates.

Huawei's firmware has always been a bit overenthusiastic about trying to kill apps in order to save battery, so it wouldn't be surprising to me if it were reporting apps as battery drains even when they're running completely normally. Have you found your battery life to be unusually short?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Is Google Photo set to back up automatically, even when on cellular data? If so, change it to wi-fi only.

I'm not sure if you can do much about Wear OS, because restricting its use in the background might impact how your watch updates.

Huawei's firmware has always been a bit overenthusiastic about trying to kill apps in order to save battery, so it wouldn't be surprising to me if it were reporting apps as battery drains even when they're running completely normally. Have you found your battery life to be unusually short?

I have a service package that costs me $7.50 USD a month with minimal cellular data so I leave data turned off except when I'm away from WiFi and really want to download something. Since Huawei seems obsessively concerned with battery drain and not cell use, perhaps it's reporting that the phone is backing up photos with WiFi in the background. Since I got the phone for photos that's something I want.

I turned off the alert about Wear OS. For the last two weeks I've forced a stop when notified but now that I'v stopped I've seen no change with my watch.

As for battery drain, I came from years of Pixel phones which were great but with small batteries. The Huawei p30 Pro has an awesome battery. I have no games, no music, no music videos, and received no phone calls because I'm too deaf for that. I also do no "social media". At the end of the day I'll have at least 70% left on my battery.

I respect your experience and opinions and thank you for your post. Huawei is fine but it's certainly more complicated than my Pixels.