Should I take the plunge with the P40 Pro?

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Got an P20 Pro currently and it has honestly been one of the best products I have ever owned. The camera, the battery, the gestures that Huawei implemented even 3 years ago have been spot on. I always intended to stick with w/e they had to offer, after seeing the p30 Pro smash it as well.

Obviously, some things have changed since those good old days and now I have to think of the dynamics of international geopolitics before I buy a phone :D.
I have done research, the whole 9 yards with Youtube reviews, articles, Reddit, etc. Basically, seems like it would be a bit of an inconvenience, but that’s only if you are really invested in the Google Ecosystem. I personally don’t like being held by any one company and don’t use ALL of Google’s stuff. I do use Gmail, interchangeably Google Maps and Waze, Google Keep, sometime G Sheets (but mostly Excel) and also using Chrome (but not on desktop anymore, since Firefox is killing it lately).

Any input/feedback is welcome. Thanks

TLDR: Need to know how these Gmail/Maps will work (if at all) and whether I can get the Microsoft and Firefox ecosystems going on the P40 Pro.

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi not sure if I can help but I will give it a go!!! I have had my P40 Pro for over a month and I love it, I actively check this site now to see if I can help anyone else!!
Im quite similar to you in my usage, I use here we go as an alternative to maps, I don't use Google Keep. Docs I don't really use. The documents I have needed I have just downloaded them and saved them to Huawei drive, I use Huawei Browser but I also use DuckDuckGO. I still receive my Gmail emails using the email app and its fine, I can use google maps but it will tell me the GMS framework isn't there but I press ok and it goes away., its the same with Microsoft teams.
I have found that I had become to reliant on certain things with Google but within days it had gone.

garlow

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I think the above comment has summarised it perfectly for you but just thought I'd jump on and say I also took the plunge and gave it a go and the minor inconvenience of no google play was outweighed by the incredible hardware, the camera on this thing is bonkers.
Also microsoft office works just fine, here we go maps waze or gmaps work great too.

The General52

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I haven't taken the plunge myself yet but most people seem confident without GMS. I've also seen Google Maps working perfectly just from Phone Clone but as mentioned above you have Here Maps etc.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I see you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central! I completely understand your fascination with Huawei - I had an Honor 8 and still miss using it to this day!

With regards to your question, I say go for it! If you've done your research and can find replacement apps for what you need, I think it could work well for you! Hauwei makes excellent products.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
wakawaka89
Hi not sure if I can help but I will give it a go!!! I have had my P40 Pro for over a month and I love it, I actively check this site now to see if I can help anyone else!!
Im quite similar to you in my usage, I use here we go as an alternative to maps, I don't use Google Keep. Docs I don't really use. The documents I have needed I have just downloaded them and saved them to Huawei drive, I use Huawei Browser but I also use DuckDuckGO. I still receive my Gmail emails using the email app and its fine, I can use google maps but it will tell me the GMS framework isn't there but I press ok and it goes away., its the same with Microsoft teams.
I have found that I had become to reliant on certain things with Google but within days it had gone.

That's awesome! Thanks for the help Waka :D. So from what I gather there are plenty of alternatives, as long as you are willing to get weened off of the Google teat (sorry, gross but I like the metaphor), but even then, seems like some G apps are still working. The Huawei browser is apparently based on Chromium, so should be easy enough of a transition, but I will most probably go all in with Firefox tbh. I assume that is all good, even by downloading APKs right?

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I haven't taken the plunge myself yet but most people seem confident without GMS. I've also seen Google Maps working perfectly just from Phone Clone but as mentioned above you have Here Maps etc.

That's interesting, so the app works but I assume you cannot sync with the rest of the stuff?

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I see you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central! I completely understand your fascination with Huawei - I had an Honor 8 and still miss using it to this day!

With regards to your question, I say go for it! If you've done your research and can find replacement apps for what you need, I think it could work well for you! Hauwei makes excellent products.

Thank you! I've used Android central for a while, but was just a regular lurker :D . Yeah I agree with the statement about Huawei, obvs they are in the news and all that, but their hardware is really sweet, that's why I don't really want to switch, I had an s7 before and a year into it, it just wasn't the same, while more than 2 years later and the p20 pro is still pretty decent, I'm giving it to my mum.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! I've used Android central for a while, but was just a regular lurker :D . Yeah I agree with the statement about Huawei, obvs they are in the news and all that, but their hardware is really sweet, that's why I don't really want to switch, I had an s7 before and a year into it, it just wasn't the same, while more than 2 years later and the p20 pro is still pretty decent, I'm giving it to my mum.

That's awesome! Glad to have you here at AC!

Huawei does make excellent hardware. I remember the glass on my Honor 8 was so slick. It had seven or so layers of glass over it, according to their website. It's hard to find a phone like Huawei!

It sounds like your P20 Pro has had some good longevity! That's nice that you are going to give it to your mom! Do you think you'll go for the P40?

OnkenEater313

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I was using Waze today on the P40 Pro and its pretty smooth, i was a long time GMaps user and as much as i think GMaps still wins with its Street view which id use sometimes the navigation side of Waze is just as good so im not missing Google Maps now.

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
HereWeGo has been a saviour for me. I do only use maps though for when im walking as I have a built in sat nav in my car. Onkeneater313 can you use Waze for walking? I have never used it before!!!

SamRH1

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I've used HereWeGo and for me maps was my biggest trepidation in moving over to a HMS device, now its one of its strengths. Its something to do with the back end of Amazons delivery system so it must be good.

garlow

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I've got google maps working on my P40, doesnt let you sign in but other than that it seems to work perfectly normal! WIll probably mean less targeted advertisements from google too!

OnkenEater313

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
HereWeGo has been a saviour for me. I do only use maps though for when im walking as I have a built in sat nav in my car. Onkeneater313 can you use Waze for walking? I have never used it before!!!

Umm, dunno for walking. I'm not often walking to places I don't know at the minute

OnkenEater313

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I've got google maps working on my P40, doesnt let you sign in but other than that it seems to work perfectly normal! WIll probably mean less targeted advertisements from google too!

I have it too but only really for Street view. I use that sometimes for the 360 maps which no one else has. For navigation Waze and Here seem the best

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2