Should I take the plunge with the P40 Pro?

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
That's awesome! Glad to have you here at AC!

Huawei does make excellent hardware. I remember the glass on my Honor 8 was so slick. It had seven or so layers of glass over it, according to their website. It's hard to find a phone like Huawei!

It sounds like your P20 Pro has had some good longevity! That's nice that you are going to give it to your mom! Do you think you'll go for the P40?

Wow, that's pretty good, I always use screen protectors either way, but I guess the tougher the better (Honor 8).

Ye she has OP2 right now (also from ??????) and it's on it's last leg, ans the camera was never goosld anyway, so she's been politely asking when I'm FINALLY getting my phone. ??????

So this takes me to the last part, am I getting it? I guess this thread is supposed to help me with that. So far, seems like ppl who don't have it bash it "cAuSe nO GoG", lwhile ppl who actually have it arw quite encouraging, seems like as long as you know what you're getting, you're set.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
That's awesome! Glad to have you here at AC!

Huawei does make excellent hardware. I remember the glass on my Honor 8 was so slick. It had seven or so layers of glass over it, according to their website. It's hard to find a phone like Huawei!

It sounds like your P20 Pro has had some good longevity! That's nice that you are going to give it to your mom! Do you think you'll go for the P40?

Wow, that's pretty good, I always use screen protectors either way, but I guess the tougher the better (Honor 8).

Ye she has OP2 right now (also from me ??????) and it's on it's last leg, and the camera was never good anyway, so she's been politely asking when I'm FINALLY getting my phone. ??????

So this takes me to the last part, am I getting it? I guess this thread is supposed to help me with that. So far, seems like ppl who don't have it bash it "cAuSe nO GoGl", while ppl who actually have it are quite encouraging, seems like as long as you know what you're getting, you're set.

Edit: grammar

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I was using Waze today on the P40 Pro and its pretty smooth, i was a long time GMaps user and as much as i think GMaps still wins with its Street view which id use sometimes the navigation side of Waze is just as good so im not missing Google Maps now.

I am also a regular user of both tbf, and you can tell a lot of the G Maps new features have been "inspired" by Waze (since Google owns that too). But I've read a few things about HereWeGo and seems to be universally praised by users, obviously with not as many features as G maps, but it's light, quick one so was curious to hear more.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I am also a regular user of both tbf, and you can tell a lot of the G Maps new features have been "inspired" by Waze (since Google owns that too). But I've read a few things about HereWeGo and seems to be universally praised by users, obviously with not as many features as G maps, but it's light, quick one so was curious to hear more.

You know what, I'm dumb, I realised you can actually get it on P20 as well, it's legit just on Play store lol

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I started using the Huawei Browser at first but ive moved over to Firefox as i feel its a bit nippier and has more options for customization

Yeah, I'm loving the new things Firefox has, with Lockwise (password manager) and Firefox send (basically quick file upload/download) as well as their Firefox "Quantum" broswer, that I've switched from Chrome a year ago or so and never looked back (no more RAM hogging).

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I started with Huawei Browser but 100% recommend DuckDuckGo its smoother and Ive had nothing but a good experience from it!

I've dabbled with a few browsers, I like the Privacy policies they got, but I am using Ecosia sometimes whenever I want to make myself feel better :)

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I've used HereWeGo and for me maps was my biggest trepidation in moving over to a HMS device, now its one of its strengths. Its something to do with the back end of Amazons delivery system so it must be good.

Oh I see, makes sense, if Amazon is using it, there must be tonnes of data to be fed into it, I assume it's really good in the US and Western Europe. I just downloaded it and had a look. I like the aesthetics of it, seems straight to the point. Will report back when I get to actually use it outside.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Ye she has OP2 right now (also from me ������) and it's on it's last leg, and the camera was never good anyway, so she's been politely asking when I'm FINALLY getting my phone. ������

So this takes me to the last part, am I getting it? I guess this thread is supposed to help me with that. So far, seems like ppl who don't have it bash it "cAuSe nO GoGl", while ppl who actually have it are quite encouraging, seems like as long as you know what you're getting, you're set.

Edit: grammar

Well, with regards to what you are saying about the lack of Google Services, I think potential users fear or get anxious about things they don't understand or know well. In my case, for example, I wanted the P30 last year and might have purchased it, but I didn't get it because at the time I didn't know if my phone would stop working; or if and when that new Huawei software came, would I enjoy it; and whether or not I'd be able to use the phone in the States when I would visit my brother. So, though I wanted to give Huawei a chance, to me, it was a gamble.

Now, though, I don't think it's *as much* of a gamble because I know more about Huawei's OS and how they are making strides to still deliver a phenomenal phone experience.

I guess all this is to say that, don't let others discourage you if that is the phone you really want. Only you can decide whether or not the phone will work for you. :)

The General52

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I've never used Android Auto because of the fact you have to have it plugged in, although I think the new version is different. If I had to take a guess I think it wouldnt work on HMS phones?

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Whats Ecosia? Ive not heard of that before

They are an ethical/environmental/privacy-oriented search engine. Basically every few searches you makes (I think it's 40 or so), with the revenue from the ads they show (which are way less invasive than Google's might I add) they will plant a tree for you (without you having to get up from the sofa). They even have a little icon on the right letting you know how many trees you've ...ahem "planted" :p (I am on 270 right now, hooray!). You can actually add it as your default search engine on w/e browser you are using. It's not always spot on with 100% of the things you want to find, but it's really good and the more ppl use it, the better it gets obvs. I would defos recommend it. Check out more if you're interested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosia.

P.S. They also got a mobile browser app themselves.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Well, with regards to what you are saying about the lack of Google Services, I think potential users fear or get anxious about things they don't understand or know well. In my case, for example, I wanted the P30 last year and might have purchased it, but I didn't get it because at the time I didn't know if my phone would stop working; or if and when that new Huawei software came, would I enjoy it; and whether or not I'd be able to use the phone in the States when I would visit my brother. So, though I wanted to give Huawei a chance, to me, it was a gamble.

Now, though, I don't think it's *as much* of a gamble because I know more about Huawei's OS and how they are making strides to still deliver a phenomenal phone experience.

I guess all this is to say that, don't let others discourage you if that is the phone you really want. Only you can decide whether or not the phone will work for you. :)

Thanks for the encouraging words, I am leaning towards getting it, giving it a try and if it's REALLY bad, I could always return it within 2 weeks. But I really think I can manage, I am almost seeing it as a challenge, I've been trying to do it on the P20 pro right now. Basically just NOT using any of the google apps, not that I was using THAT many (I know some ppl are really invested). And I already have a healthy amount of third party apps, like Youtube Vanced, Fenix (for Twitter), Reddit is Fun for Reddit, etc. So I think I'll be fine, also the people on here have been quite helpful and providing good feedback ( I saw other posts like mine as well). I am looking at some offers with contracts here in the UK and looking to get something decent, prices have gone up from 2 years ago, but not as much as Samsung/Apple and even OP has skyrocketed.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Speaking of navigation has anyone tried android auto at all? I don't have a compatible car and a friend is asking.

Sorry never used myself, I don't really get it. If I get a chance to try, I will. I did have a chance to use HereWeGo maps and works absolutely brilliant! I mean, again nothing too crazy, but straight to the point, and it's fun to use something new as well.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the encouraging words, I am leaning towards getting it, giving it a try and if it's REALLY bad, I could always return it within 2 weeks. But I really think I can manage, I am almost seeing it as a challenge, I've been trying to do it on the P20 pro right now. Basically just NOT using any of the google apps, not that I was using THAT many (I know some ppl are really invested). And I already have a healthy amount of third party apps, like Youtube Vanced, Fenix (for Twitter), Reddit is Fun for Reddit, etc. So I think I'll be fine, also the people on here have been quite helpful and providing good feedback ( I saw other posts like mine as well). I am looking at some offers with contracts here in the UK and looking to get something decent, prices have gone up from 2 years ago, but not as much as Samsung/Apple and even OP has skyrocketed.

I'm glad you've found folks here to be helpful! I think you should take the plunge! You're right: you can always return it in two weeks if you find that it's not what you were looking for. I think getting it and giving it two weeks is awesome - and it's the only way you'll get a real picture of what it will be like to use from day to day.

My only piece of advice is to not be hard on yourself or the phone if the first couple of days involve searching for apps or getting used to things. Every new phone and OS will have a learning curve. When I switched from my BlackBerry Q10 to my Nexus 5 years ago, the first few days were fun but a little frustrating because I had to hunt for things and learn how everything worked all over again.

But you'll get things figured out fast and it will be smooth sailing from there! Plus you have us and the Internet if you need anything further!

Please let us know what you decide!

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I'm glad you've found folks here to be helpful! I think you should take the plunge! You're right: you can always return it in two weeks if you find that it's not what you were looking for. I think getting it and giving it two weeks is awesome - and it's the only way you'll get a real picture of what it will be like to use from day to day.

My only piece of advice is to not be hard on yourself or the phone if the first couple of days involve searching for apps or getting used to things. Every new phone and OS will have a learning curve. When I switched from my BlackBerry Q10 to my Nexus 5 years ago, the first few days were fun but a little frustrating because I had to hunt for things and learn how everything worked all over again.

But you'll get things figured out fast and it will be smooth sailing from there! Plus you have us and the Internet if you need anything further!

Please let us know what you decide!

Ye, there're tonnes of good stuff on here, gotta say, people seem quite passionate about it (and I get it, as I said I was gonna stick with them based on my previous experience).

NO WAY! I had the Nexus 5 as well, good times, but unfortunately it got water damaged within a year and that't when I went for OP2.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
'makes drum roll sounds' Trrrrrrrrrrrrtrrrrr

Thanks to everyone for their input, it was really useful for my decision and seems like ppl are enjoying the phone so far. So I have decided to indeed "Take the plunge" :D. Need to figure out plan and offers etc, will report back when I get as well. I'll come back and answer as many questions as possible for ppl in my position now. Cheers lads/ladettes!

garlow

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
"'makes drum roll sounds' Trrrrrrrrrrrrtrrrrr

Thanks to everyone for their input, it was really useful for my decision and seems like ppl are enjoying the phone so far. So I have decided to indeed "Take the plunge" . Need to figure out plan and offers etc, will report back when I get as well. I'll come back and answer as many questions as possible for ppl in my position now. Cheers lads/ladettes!"

Awesome! Hope you enjoy! Let us know how you get on

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
"'makes drum roll sounds' Trrrrrrrrrrrrtrrrrr

Thanks to everyone for their input, it was really useful for my decision and seems like ppl are enjoying the phone so far. So I have decided to indeed "Take the plunge" . Need to figure out plan and offers etc, will report back when I get as well. I'll come back and answer as many questions as possible for ppl in my position now. Cheers lads/ladettes!"

Awesome! Hope you enjoy! Let us know how you get on

woop!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac