My Samsung Note 3 just died on me after less than 1.5 years of use. This was the 2nd Samsung that disappointed me after my S3 so I'm going with Huawei this time. However, I need some help choosing between the P8, P8 Lite, P8 Max, Mate 8, and Nexus 6P models. Overall, it seems that the P8 is a pretty decent phone, especially considering the price point. Therefore, is the P8 decent enough compared to the 6P and Mate 8 considering that it would be about $300 or more cheaper? I would say the things most important to me are screen size and camera quality. And if the P8 is a good choice, which variant should I get (P8 Lite, P8, P8 Max)?

P8 Lite: $300
    P8: $370
    P8 Max: $550
    Mate 8: $750
    6P: $650
    04-07-2016 01:41 AM
    It your considering the p8 lite, I'd highly recommend the gx8 or Honor 5x (both $199 and same specs) just looks different and better speced as for the others I have not used the p8

As for the brand, great support, slow with updates though and emui is a change, but I enjoy it

Posted via the one and only Honor 5x
    04-08-2016 07:18 AM
    I'm about 2 months into P8 lite ownership and Android itself, previously used Apple (many years ago) and more recently Microsoft.

At first the P8 lite was OK but it was short lived experience of the P8 and Android deeply disappointing.

The P8 lite will be out of date out of the box and in all probability will never get an up to date version of Android, EMUI or a monthly security update. I'm now resetting mine as it wonty log into my Google a/c...

I'll most lily revert to an old Lumi handset and wait the arrival of iPhone 8 - Apple offer updates and support....
    08-28-2017 02:27 AM
    Nexus. Mainly because as thr above poster said, the P8 is past thr support period for manufacturers for OS updates. However it will still likely get security updates. Google will support Nexus until the hardware isn't capable anymore.
    08-28-2017 02:42 AM
    Nexus. Mainly because as thr above poster said, the P8 is past thr support period for manufacturers for OS updates.
    Its 2 months old. Basically once you have given Hewaei your money they just want you to **** off, support you must be joking...
    08-28-2017 04:47 AM
    Its 2 months old. Basically once you have given Hewaei your money they just want you to **** off, support you must be joking...
    The P8 is a 2015 model.
    08-28-2017 05:11 AM
    If updates are your number one concern, then get a pixel.
    08-28-2017 04:35 PM
    Definitely get a newer phone like the Honor 6X or even the Honor 8 for cheaper than $300
    08-28-2017 04:49 PM
    The P8 is a 2015 model.

Should have been more specific. Its a P8 Lite 2017 purchased band new from major high street chain in June 2017.

As a newbie with no previous experience of Andriod whatsoever I find the acceptance that there's no support, no updates from the manufacturers and that its perhaps unreasonable to expect support or updates rather curious.

Given that I've only had the device around 2 months I'm hoping that my experience with the platform improves, to swap now seems like a 100% write-off of purchase cost. From memory I did see the google Pixel in the shops, it was vastly more expensive, iPhone territory. Trying to maintain a positive outlook on Android but defo wont buy from another no name Chinese manufacturer again.
    08-29-2017 06:56 AM
    Should have been more specific. Its a P8 Lite 2017 purchased band new from major high street chain in June 2017.

As a newbie with no previous experience of Andriod whatsoever I find the acceptance that there's no support, no updates from the manufacturers and that its perhaps unreasonable to expect support or updates rather curious.

Given that I've only had the device around 2 months I'm hoping that my experience with the platform improves, to swap now seems like a 100% write-off of purchase cost. From memory I did see the google Pixel in the shops, it was vastly more expensive, iPhone territory. Trying to maintain a positive outlook on Android but defo wont buy from another no name Chinese manufacturer again.
    Huawei isn't no name. It's actually the 2nd largest Android manufacturer in the world. It's much larger than HTC or LG, possibly larger than them combined in term of Android sales.

However, note that for Non Pixel phones, Google does not control the updates. This is in part with the fact that Android is open source. The OS itself is free to use by anyone. The only thing Google holds is access to Google services like the Google Play Store.

Which is why when you aren't using a Pixel, or a non flagship device, it's sort of understood that you're not getting ALL updates. Supposedly you should still receive monthly security updates, buy I think that's still in the hands of the manufacturer. This is a far cry from say, a Galaxy S5. That's a 3 year old Samsung flagship but it still received a security update last month. Manufacturers treat their flagships well since part of the overhead for it goes to software research costs going forward. They already charged you for costs of software updates you will receive next year.

Thing is with Android, you want to be treated with the same support from the manufacturer like Apple does with the iPhone, you better get the phone that's priced like an iPhone too. Getting the lower end models makes you like a second class citizen.

In defense of LG and Samsung though, they have stepped up in their update patterns, and now they also include mid range devices like the Galaxy A series and the LG Stylo series for updates to next Android versions. Samsung went as low range as the top of the line J series (budget series) in terms of updates. And they give announcements as to which devices will get the updates.
    08-29-2017 07:18 AM

Not sure how it is where you were but in the USA, Honor,zte, and moto have well priced bargain phones.

Of course you won't get the support or quick updates like on an iPhone or Pixel... Just comes with the territory
    08-29-2017 04:46 PM
    Huawei isn't no name. It's actually the 2nd largest Android manufacturer in the world. It's much larger than HTC or LG, possibly larger than them combined in term of Android sales.

However, note that for Non Pixel phones, Google does not control the updates. This is in part with the fact that Android is open source. The OS itself is free to use by anyone. The only thing Google holds is access to Google services like the Google Play Store.

Which is why when you aren't using a Pixel, or a non flagship device, it's sort of understood that you're not getting ALL updates. Supposedly you should still receive monthly security updates, buy I think that's still in the hands of the manufacturer. This is a far cry from say, a Galaxy S5. That's a 3 year old Samsung flagship but it still received a security update last month. Manufacturers treat their flagships well since part of the overhead for it goes to software research costs going forward. They already charged you for costs of software updates you will receive next year.

Thing is with Android, you want to be treated with the same support from the manufacturer like Apple does with the iPhone, you better get the phone that's priced like an iPhone too. Getting the lower end models makes you like a second class citizen.

In defense of LG and Samsung though, they have stepped up in their update patterns, and now they also include mid range devices like the Galaxy A series and the LG Stylo series for updates to next Android versions. Samsung went as low range as the top of the line J series (budget series) in terms of updates. And they give announcements as to which devices will get the updates.
    I think we in the forums emphasize updates... But the vast majority of people buying phones outside forums or tech sites don't really care that much about them. These bargain manufacturers are trying to cut corners wherever possible... Updates are an easy place.
    08-29-2017 04:50 PM
    Not everyone cares about updates either. I've used to work at a phone retailer and I get a lot of customers who just wants a phone that works. Even a cheap $100 will do. And they don't get much updates
    08-30-2017 06:55 AM
    Not everyone cares about updates either. I've used to work at a phone retailer and I get a lot of customers who just wants a phone that works. Even a cheap $100 will do. And they don't get much updates
    In the $100 price range though... They just want a phone what works. The OP has a significantly higher price range.
    08-30-2017 07:58 AM
    In the $100 price range though... They just want a phone what works. The OP has a significantly higher price range.
    I said even $100 will do. But I've sold phone's around $300+ and they only cared about that it'll work as a phone should work; calls, text messages and emails.
    08-30-2017 08:03 AM
    I said even $100 will do. But I've sold phone's around $300+ and they only cared about that it'll work as a phone should work; calls, text messages and emails.
    Yeah, these are the people who get mad when an update changes things.
    08-30-2017 08:09 AM
    Or people who just want a phone. I've sold tons of the latest iPhone and Samsung phones cause theyre simply the newer phones out. They don't care about anything else.
    08-30-2017 08:56 AM
    In all fairness, some updates are forced on phones. It really shouldn't be.
    08-30-2017 10:59 AM
    In all fairness, some updates are forced on phones. It really shouldn't be.
    The only times I hear about forced updates are in the US (I'm elsewhere).

The UA carriers really screw people over.
    08-30-2017 11:00 AM

Yeah unfortunately in the USA, the carriers are very strong. You are lucky that you five have to deal with this.
    08-30-2017 12:56 PM

Yeah unfortunately in the USA, the carriers are very strong. You are lucky that you five have to deal with this.
    08-30-2017 01:21 PM
    Update. Put a query into Hewaei along the lines of where are the updates...?
    Response, I paraphrase - we only do fill version updates ie 6 to 7, 7 to 8 don't do incremental 7 to 7.1 type updates. As expected they offer no assurance as to when or even if my 3 month old phone will get Android 8. Obviously no monthly security update either.

Installed Heawei HiSuite (the current version v4.0.1.0) today to my fully patched and updated Win 10 box today and guess what, that doesn't talk to my phone at all just says connect phone by USB, poking around on the forums its not an uncommon issue but no solutions...

Since factory reset a week or so ago the phone has behaved itself but time will tell...

Android seems to be a reasonable platform and the Play Store is great (after the Windows store) but the handset manufacturers, oh dear...

Whilst I'm not an intensive or power user with relatively modest requirements it seems that if I want a device that is maintained with updates and any level of support at all I do need to spend flagship money and if I'm doing that Apple are the only game in town, Android handset makers are just too unreliable and a gamble. I'd normally keep a handset for 2 - 3 years, this will be lucky to get to Christmas.
    09-15-2017 04:23 PM
    That's astounding, that a company that sell unsupported crap like the P8 lite 2017 have such a big market share, astounding, absolutely astounding.

My fault entirely, should have done my homework before buying.
    09-15-2017 04:30 PM