[SOLVED] GPS enabled, but no GPS tags in pictures?

littlebigman

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello

I actually have a Huawei P8 Lite.

I notice that even with GPS enabled both in the phone (general Settings) and in Picture > Settings, it seems like pictures aren't geotagged:

1. Enabled GPS
  2. Opened maps application to check that location is OK
  3. Took Picture
  4. Copied file from phone to computer
  5. Opened JPG in IrfanView > Image > Information: No GPS data. Clicked further on EXIF Info : No data.
  6. Tried with PaintShop Pro, to no avail.

Any idea what's wrong?

Thank you.

Last edited:

littlebigman

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: GPS enabled, but no GPS tags in pictures?

Yes. This is what I meant with "Enabled GPS". I double-checked that it's on through Settings > Advanced Settings > Location access. I'm correctly located when running a maps application before taking pictures.

And mobile data is on as well.

I tried it again today, and it worked:
Huawei.geotag.picture.OK.jpg

I don't know what changed between then and now. FWIW I might have used a GPS-based application (Maps.me) just before taking the picture. I'll double-check next time and see if that makes a difference.

A couple more questions:
1. Within the phone, is there a way to check that a picture is indeed geo-tagged?
2. Is there a Windows application that can batch-read GPS data from a bunch of pictures?

Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If it stops working again, open your Camera, tap Menu>Settings, and look for a Save Location switch. Make sure it's turned on.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

Yes, that's the thing with these new devices, you have settings in a few different places so you can get tripped up. Like B.Diddy says, make sure it's on in your camera settings...

littlebigman

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There's no "Save Location" switch in my P8 Lite, but I see that the GPS option is indeed turned on after I enable GPS manually through the phone's general Settings section.

Thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt