I forgot the unlock password for my Huawei P9 and since I want to do a factory reset anyway I thought I would do a hard reset.

I understand that Huawei P9 requires entering an email address when doing a factory reset. Is an email address also required when doing a hard reset? If it is, when would I enter it and would I be prompted?

My questions may seem silly but I want to know what's required before I start a hard reset.
    Thanks, Lance
    12-20-2017 02:44 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! If you do a hard reset without first removing the primary Google account, it's considered an unauthorized factory reset. This means that after the reset, you have to enter that previous Google account and password to proceed. This is meant to discourage thieves from stealing a phone and doing a simple factory reset to make it their own.
    12-20-2017 10:45 AM
    i have legitimately sold my wifes p9 and now am in contact with the buyer with the above problem.... trying desperately to solve it for him can you help please??
    12-07-2018 01:11 PM
    You'll have to give them the Google account and password that was on the phone. I'd get on a call or video chat with that person, let them have the information, and as soon as they're able to get past the factory reset protection, you should change your wife's Google password.
    12-07-2018 01:19 PM
    You'll have to give them the Google account and password that was on the phone. I'd get on a call or video chat with that person, let them have the information, and as soon as they're able to get past the factory reset protection, you should change your wife's Google password.
    Unless the buyer is local. In that case, it would be preferable to meet them some place so you can enter your wife's info in person without them seeing it.

And whatever the case, once the phone is set up, you need to make sure you log your wife's account completely out of the phone (even if you changed her password) to prevent this from happening again. After you do that, it may not be a bad idea to reset the phone a second time and have the buyer set it up before parting ways again just to make sure it doesn't require your wife's info again.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-07-2018 01:58 PM