running with the watch 2 sport 4g

glenner05

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
just got my watch 2 lte 3 days ago and today i went for my first run. No phone with me only my fenix 3 running watch on my other arm to compare accuracy.
The optical heart rate*sensor*is actually very accurate so thats a good thing.
But in my case the distance was not correct. On my fenix 3 i had a distance of 10.20 km, while on the*huaweii had 10.02km, so thats a significant error. The track on the map was very accurate, no difference with thegarmin, no zigzag or strange curves.*
I begin to wonder if the*huawei*might be tracking distance with the step counter instead of using gps, so only using the gps to plot the map.*
Also i saw that the total running time was 5 minutes more then the fenix 3! I started and stopped the watches at the same time! Very strange.
And lastly i burned more then 30 percent battery life while running for slightly more then 1 hour! Thats ofcourse with all whistles on; gps, heartrate, lte connection and*screen*always on. Next time i will shut some things down to see how to bring this percentage down. But the advertised 10h gps time are not true im afraid
Its also a pity*huawei*health doesnt show me a altitude graph. The watch has a barometer so it should be possible. On the watch itself i could see that i climbed 2m (i live in a flat area) but this information is not showing on the phone.
I will take both watches for a couple of more runs to see if the accuracy situation improves.

Jeffrey Tsang

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Glenner05, dis you use the 4g SIM? I have att art as my carrier IN the US, wonder if it works. Also, were you able to sync any of the run data into Strava?

glenner05

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Glenner05, dis you use the 4g SIM? I have att art as my carrier IN the US, wonder if it works. Also, were you able to sync any of the run data into Strava?

Hi jeffrey

Yes i have the 4g sim edition, but i live in europe, so i suppose i have an european version with matching bands for 3g/4g. Works flawless :)
I wasnt able to sync with strava unfortunately when using huawei health for recording my run. Other programs like ghostracer and maybe some others like endomondo are able to sync with strava; however i like huawei health because of the more advanced metrics (recovery time, VO max, cadans, etc...much like garmin watches. I hope they add strava connection soon because i too have a long activity list in strava synced with previous devices.
Tommorrow i go for another run with huawei health to see if distance improves. If not i'll try ghostracer or runtastic to see if its anything different

glenner05

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
2nd run today. this time i turned off 4g and wifi.
the Huawei 2 gave me a distance of 7.23km and the garmin 7.38km. map plot was also very accurate. so again a significant difference. i burned 12% battery this time without 4g and wifi. screen always on. i think i can get 6 houres of gps use in this scenario, thats more then enough for me :)
next time i will use runtastic pro in combination with an bluetooth heart rate belt to test battery consumption and distance accuracy.

Lucas Barbosa

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
You are lucky to get 12%/hour... I always get over 30% on my 1h runs.

I use ghostrace for GPS tracking, barometer on, screen always on and google play music for BT music. Wifi and NFC off (no LTE on my watch)

BTW.... You can track your runs with both apps at the same time (strava and the default watch app). Start one of them, switch to other one and start the run... This way you get all the metrics from huawei health and you get your exercises sync'd to strava.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool