Should I trade in Moto 360 1st Gen for the Huawei Watch?

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi! Looking for some opinions here. First, the backstory...my girlfriend surprised me last night with a very nice birthday gift: the Moto 360, but it's unfortunately the 1st Gen. Though the idea of a 2-year old wearable concerned me, I wanted to think positive and try the watch out before making any decisions. In my first day of use with the 360: battery life is borderline terrible, the screen is good enough, the heart rate monitor is fairly useless, but the overal "look and feel" of the watch is elegant and clean. The aesthetics are definitely the biggest positive. Also, I have a feeling the annoying "flat tire" screen isn't going to become less so over time.

So my question is...with the Huawei watch not TOO much more expensive on Amazon, is it worth it for me to trade in my 360 for a Huawei watch? Are we talking "night and day difference" better, or just a marginally better? FYI, I own a Nexus 6P, so I like the idea of the brand continuity. Plus I've heard the screen resolution and battery life on the Huawei are excellent. I thank you in advance and truly appreciate your thoughts!! :D

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The Huawei watch will probably upgrade to Wear 2.0 in a few weeks. The first gen 360 will not. Battery life on the Huawei watch is significantly better. The spare tire never bothered me and I miss the light sensor. I'd upgrade just to get Wear 2.0.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Huawei watch will probably upgrade to Wear 2.0 in a few weeks. The first gen 360 will not. Battery life on the Huawei watch is significantly better. The spare tire never bothered me and I miss the light sensor. I'd upgrade just to get Wear 2.0.
I totally agree. I had 1st gen Moto 360 for about a year, and moved up to Huawei last summer. Haven't regrets it a minute. I can keep the always on setting, and it still lasts over a day. I'd never get that much previously.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for your response! The flat tire isn't a dealbreaker by any means; it's just a little annoying to have watch faces all cut off at the bottom. The battery life alone may be a good enough reason to trade up. Granted it's only Day 1, however I went from fully charged to 11% in about 8 hours with at worst moderate usage.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree. I had 1st gen Moto 360 for about a year, and moved up to Huawei last summer. Haven't regrets it a minute. I can keep the always on setting, and it still lasts over a day. I'd never get that much previously.

Wow, that's good to know. As I mentioned in a different reply, my battery went from 100% to 11% in about 8 hours with not much usage. Granted I did some tinkering and typical "setting up the device" stuff, but that's a lot of battery loss regardless. And the lack of future upgrades for the 1st Gen 360 is a big problem. I know Wear 2.0 will be a pretty significant upgrade. Completely forgot to mention that in my initial post.

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your response! The flat tire isn't a dealbreaker by any means; it's just a little annoying to have watch faces all cut off at the bottom. The battery life alone may be a good enough reason to trade up. Granted it's only Day 1, however I went from fully charged to 11% in about 8 hours with at worst moderate usage.
As I recall, it took several days for battery life to stabilize. Btw, a girlfriend who gifts you a smartwatch is a definite keeper.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
As I recall, it took several days for battery life to stabilize. Btw, a girlfriend who gifts you a smartwatch is a definite keeper.

Oh, this one's a keeper for many reasons...and the smartwatch doesn't hurt ;) I'm planning to wear the watch through at least the weekend to see how things progress. Not getting 2.0 is a problem, though. It's tough to justify 2 year old technology with no future OS updates. It might be a better idea for me to upgrade to the Huawei (I'll pay for the difference, of course). I'd rather my girlfriend's money go towards something more technologically current that I'll be able to truly enjoy for a couple years, you know?

fredd17

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi! Looking for some opinions here. First, the backstory...my girlfriend surprised me last night with a very nice birthday gift: the Moto 360, but it's unfortunately the 1st Gen. Though the idea of a 2-year old wearable concerned me, I wanted to think positive and try the watch out before making any decisions. In my first day of use with the 360: battery life is borderline terrible, the screen is good enough, the heart rate monitor is fairly useless, but the overal "look and feel" of the watch is elegant and clean. The aesthetics are definitely the biggest positive. Also, I have a feeling the annoying "flat tire" screen isn't going to become less so over time.

So my question is...with the Huawei watch not TOO much more expensive on Amazon, is it worth it for me to trade in my 360 for a Huawei watch? Are we talking "night and day difference" better, or just a marginally better? FYI, I own a Nexus 6P, so I like the idea of the brand continuity. Plus I've heard the screen resolution and battery life on the Huawei are excellent. I thank you in advance and truly appreciate your thoughts!! :D

For Christmas I treated myself with a nexus 6p and the huawei watch and loving both... The watch has great battery life apart from my old LG G Watch R I had before. It is 2017 and plenty of smartwatches being released this year also or even the late 2016 release of the Asus Zenwatch 3 was a close candidate when I was looking to upgrade my watch.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I say go for the Huawei Watch. I feel that it's the closest in appearance and size to an elegant men's dress watch. Battery life is pretty awesome -- I keep my screen always on, and by the end of the day, the battery is usually down to the 60s (sometimes even more than 70%!). The only downside I've noticed is that the vibration is hard to feel -- strangely, I can often hear the vibration better than I can feel it.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the Huawei watch and like it. One of my coworkers with a Moto 360 has been VERY tempted to get one himself (and he screams at me whenever I share with him a deal that I find on the Huawei).

That said, consider waiting a little bit. Qualcomm announced an SoC geared toward wearables (should give better battery life) last year and Android Wear 2.0 includes more hardware interaction (more buttons on the perimeter) so it's only a matter of time before we see new AW watches.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Everything is an upgrade from the original Moto. It was awesome for its day, but it's flaws can no longer be ignored just because of its sleek look.

The Huawei would definitely be better in every way. If you want something even newer, and priced about the same, look at the ZenWatch 3 also.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I say go for the Huawei Watch. I feel that it's the closest in appearance and size to an elegant men's dress watch. Battery life is pretty awesome -- I keep my screen always on, and by the end of the day, the battery is usually down to the 60s (sometimes even more than 70%!). The only downside I've noticed is that the vibration is hard to feel -- strangely, I can often hear the vibration better than I can feel it.

That is a question I had also. I have the Moto 360 1st gen and it´s already hard to feel the vibration sometimes. So you are saying that in the Huawei Watch it´s even worse? Thats a pity...
What about the lack of ambient sensor, how do you manage that? Is there a shortcut or a quick way to manage the light?
In my Moto 360 I dont really have to bother about that.
I really want to get the Huawei Watch, its, in my opinion, still the prettiest smartwatch out there but the fact that its more than a year old and the price still very high (at least here in Europe) is disappointing...

Cheers

Cheers

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't find the lack of an ambient sensor a big deal. I almost exclusively use watchfaces from WatchMaster, and when the watch is idle, the watchface remains on, but somewhat dimmer. So it never seems too bright, and when I raise my wrist to look at the watch, the watchface brightens temporarily.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't find the lack of an ambient sensor a big deal. I almost exclusively use watchfaces from WatchMaster, and when the watch is idle, the watchface remains on, but somewhat dimmer. So it never seems too bright, and when I raise my wrist to look at the watch, the watchface brightens temporarily.
Thanks for the input. That's also exactly what I wanted, a watch that is always on, which dosent happen on the Moto 360 1st generation.
What about the vibrations? I already miss some of them with the Moto.
Cheers

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's just my watch, or if it's common for all Huawei Watches, but it's hard for me to feel the vibrations, even though I can often hear the vibrations themselves. Very odd.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Guys, how does your Huawei behaves in terms of battery when listening to music directly through it with Bluetooth Headphones? Yesterday I went to the gym with my Moto 360 1st generation, it had 90 per cent of battery left and after one hour of listening to music I had 10 percent left, which is unacceptable...
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz