Temporary return to stock version while avoiding OTA

ifwillems

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have to make an international trip later this week. As I do not want to mess with the GSM settings in CM7 (I do not know how to make that work yet), I am planning on restoring my stock image. How can I avoid that the recently released OTA is going to mess up my phone (and unable root) once I am back on stock ROM? When the OTA announces itself, does it give an option to Postpone/Cancel instead of only Accept?

crazy_skier

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
You could find another ROM that has the gsm capability. There ate a couple that are just debloated which probably have gsm capability

yurilebbie

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Gsm works in nightly 76. All you have to do is turn on gsm and then turn off your phone (reboot didn't work for me) and turn it back on after putting the sim card in.

Last edited:

ifwillems

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to sunny_d and yurilebbie.

I decided to install the SkyRaider Zeus ROM. In that way I had at least a ROM on which GSM workd for sure. Upon my arrival in Panama, this was indeed the case. I had no problem with my phone whatsoever. Then I decided (while in Panama City) to revert back to the CyanogenMod7 #75 ROM. That too did work without a glitch: I changed setting to GSM (not Global) and turned phone off and back on. Voila, I was in business. Sweeet!

Then I flew on to Santiago, Chile. To my surprise neither GSM or Global did work down there. I had to revert back to the SkyRaider Zeus ROM.

I am currently still in Chile (for 3 more days). If there is anything else I should try, while I am here, please let me know. I can make time to experiment. I just do not know what else to try with CyanogenMod7.

ifwillems

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have GSM connectivity now working with CyanogenMod7, but in a strange way.
Where I could select GSM only in Panama City, and leave it at that, in Santiago I had to select GSM only and 2G only. As soon as I unselect 2G only, the connection is down.
It would be nice to understand why that is.

ifwillems

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I guess I declared victory too early. Yes I did have GSM connectivity. But I noticed that I was not able to get any data access (just voice). And after I had turned off my phone, the GSM connectivity was gone after I turned the phone back on. I was not able to establish GSM again. I noticed that the 2G only option, although I checked it, did not stick. Every time I came back in the menu it was unchecked.

After returning to the SkyRaider Zeus ROM, everything works fine: GSM connectivity, roaming data (if I so desire).

Clearly the GSM features are still quite buggy in the nightlies (I used #75). Hopefully this gets resolved in the near future.