[GUIDE] Unroot Revolutionary on the Incredible 2

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Unrooting Revolutionary on the Droid Incredible 2.
==============================​

So for whatever reason you need to unroot after using Revolutionary, we can do that.
I implore you to read this ENTIRE guide before using it, there's nothing hard to do but you must follow it exactly.

In this guide we are going to roll back to Froyo, get back our stock HBOOT, and then upgrade back to Gingerbread.
So in addition to unrooting our phone we are also resetting the HBOOT to it's original state.

After trying a few different ways of unrooting I've found this is the most pain free and sure fire way of going about this.
You should have at least a limited knowledge of how adb works, though if you don't that is OK, just follow the commands listed exactly.
On to the guide itself.

**I shouldn't have to say this because you're rooted your phone already, but remember, no one is responsible for what happens to your phone but you.**

Unrooting

We need to roll back to the offical Froyo firmware. Download it below.

PG32IMG_RUU_Vivo_W_VERIZON_WWE_1.34.605.4_Radio_0. 99.01.0225_2_NV_VZW1.92_release_182876_signed.zip

1. Flashing Froyo
Rename this file as PG32IMG.zip (exactly this), place it on the root of your sdcard.
Now in your settings turn off fastboot if you have not already. (If your ROM doesn't have fastboot settings just pull your battery.)
Restart into the bootloader by holding Power and Volume Down.
Your phone should scan the SD card for certain file names, it will sense the zip we placed on earlier.
You will see a small bar in the top right corner filling up, once it's complete press Volume Up to flash the zip.
After it finished flashing the zip, restart your phone.
Upon restarting delete the PG32IMG.zip file on your SD card as we will put another there later on and don't want to confuse ourselves.

Before continuing make SURE flashing Froyo worked, ensure everything is working as normal.
(Ensure you are on Android 2.2.1 under Settings>About phone>Software information)
Also, if your phone offers an OTA update or anything of the sort DO NOT take it.

Resetting HBOOT

Do not continue with this unless you have flashed back the stock froyo RUU above. Doing so will leave you with a security warning, not something you want.

2. Resetting HBOOT
On your phone enable USB debugging (Settings>Applications>Development), and disable fastboot under (Settings>Power).
After doing so ensure before using these adb commands that your phone is plugged into your PC and on the "Charge only" mode, NOT USB DRIVE.

Download my zip package, unzip it, then place the "unroot" folder on your desktop preferably.
unroot.zip
This folder is a self-contained copy of adb and the files we need to flash the stock HBOOT.

Now on your PC go to your command prompt (Usually just Start>Then type "cmd" in Search)
Navigate to the folder we just unzipped to, (99% of the time just type "cd desktop" then "cd unroot")
Alright, now for the adb commands, all of these must be used, copy/pasting is the best bet if you don't know much about adb.

This isn't tricky, just input the commands and check the md5sums against the ones I have listed as you go along.

3. Push files
Enter these commands, one line at a time:
adb push psneuter /data/local/
adb push busybox /data/local/
adb push hboot_0.97.0000_336906.nb0 /data/local/
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox

4. Gain temp root
adb shell /data/local/psneuter

5. Verify the md5sum of the new hboot
adb shell /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/hboot_0.97.0000_336906.nb0

STOP, verify the output is affe3dc9abe9d3a8c8bb3ba0ee5176ac, if not redownload the unroot.zip, and start over again.

If you do not check the md5sums like suggested there is a chance you can brick your phone.

6. If they match, continue by flashing the stock HBOOT
adb shell dd if=/data/local/hboot_0.97.0000_336906.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

7. Give the hboot one last check
adb shell /data/local/busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p18

If the output is affe3dc9abe9d3a8c8bb3ba0ee5176ac, then you are done, all is good, and you should continue on.

If the output is something else you still have the Revolutionary bootloader, start over.​

Back to Gingerbread

8. Download the offical Gingerbread firmware:
PG32IMG_RUU_Vivo_W_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.4_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_200325_signed.zip

9. Rename the file to PG32IMG.zip as before and place it on the root of your SD card.
10. Battery pull and restart holding Power and Volume Down, in the bootloader flash the .zip as before, then restart.

You're done, and now stock! (...eww)

Notes
==============================

It's probably a good idea to delete that PG32IMG.zip from your SD card otherwise every time you boot into HBOOT it will think you want to flash again. ;)

You are now 2.3.3, though the newest version from HTC is 2.3.4, chances are you will received a message to install an OTA update.

If you accept this update and it takes you to 2.3.4 you will not be able to reroot until further notice.

Credits: This unrooting guide is actually a modified version of a Froyo/AlpharevX unrooting guide by jcase over on the RootsWiki forums.
Props to him for the original and all others involved.

Last edited:

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm getting an error on the FroYo flash about PG32IMG.zip. It says "Wrong zipped image!", any clue what is causing this?

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting an error on the FroYo flash about PG32IMG.zip. It says "Wrong zipped image!", any clue what is causing this?

You didn't happen to add another ".zip" onto the file?

I would just try re-downloading the zip and flashing again. Otherwise I know there is this .exe tool HTC makes that does the same thing as an HBOOT flash just from your computer while your phone is plugged in, I may have to search around for that.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
You didn't happen to add another ".zip" onto the file?

I would just try re-downloading the zip and flashing again. Otherwise I know there is this .exe tool HTC makes that does the same thing as an HBOOT flash just from your computer while your phone is plugged in, I may have to search around for that.

I'm wondering if it wasn't a bug in copying the file to my phone in openSUSE 11.4, copied a lot faster than Windows is copying it.

rankelvin

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks so thanks for this unrooting guide. I have an issue though. My phone doesn't see the zip file, I guess. When it scans it says no image. I tried rooting it with directions from someone's youtube video, but i guess it failed, even though I have S-off, so I'm so confused LOL but there is no bar that fills up after it scans for the file. What should I do?!

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks so thanks for this unrooting guide. I have an issue though. My phone doesn't see the zip file, I guess. When it scans it says no image. I tried rooting it with directions from someone's youtube video, but i guess it failed, even though I have S-off, so I'm so confused LOL but there is no bar that fills up after it scans for the file. What should I do?!

What version of Android are you running? (Settings>About Phone>Software Information)

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The froyo zip still isn't working...it says SD checking , then loading like 5 times but underneath all of them it says No image.

I know XDA had an exe tool designed by HTC that you would just run while having your phone plugged in via USB. I'm nnot sure of the exact link as I haven't needed it but try searching around for it. I will try to later tomorrow when I get free time.

JoshB410

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
What is going onnnnn?

I followed all steps, everything worked perfectly. I was on 2.3.3 again receiving messages and all that. OTA updated to 2.3.4 and apparently worked, it showed I was on 2.3.4 but then it would try to update again and nothing has been working since. I tried to reflash back to 2.3.3 and now I just tried to go back to Froyo to redo the whole process but it said FAILED and something about "Main version is newer" or something. My signal has a triangle above it and nothing is working. How the hell can I get back to being unrooted?

crazy_skier

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
If you have 2.3.4 from the OTA and without having flashed a ROM you should be unrooted. Restart your phone in hboot and if it says s-on and nothing about revolutionary on the top your unrooted.

JoshB410

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If you have 2.3.4 from the OTA and without having flashed a ROM you should be unrooted. Restart your phone in hboot and if it says s-on and nothing about revolutionary on the top your unrooted.

I got it working. It wasn't receiving signal in the location I was at. . .which it should have been, but everything is working on 2.3.4 now. Haven't noticed too much from the new radio though