CM7 and Tiamat Kernel

ifwillems

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The Tiamat Kernel does not come standard with the CM7 ROM. For instance my current kernel is: 2.6.35.14-cyanogenmod-ge1b34a4 android@portatile #1 (whatever this all means).

I have 2 questions in relationship to ROMS (such as CM7) and Kernels (such as Tiamat):
  1. Do I run the risk by installing the Tiamat Kernel, that something breaks in its workings with CM7 ROM?
  2. Do I need to reinstall Tiamat everytime after I have installed an update to CM7 ROM?

I never installed the CM kernel myself before, so I assume it came with the ROM.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
As long as the kernel you install is set to run with a vanilla rom it should be fine. I know when I was using my original incredible the cm crew had a list of the kernals that would work with the rom. It may not be there yet since they haven't released a stable version for the Inc 2 yet. As far as every time, I don't think so but will defer to someone with a little more experience in flashing alternative kernals because I have only done it once or twice in my original Inc.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes there is always a chance the kernel could break something in a rom, but tiamat usually runs pretty good with aosp roms like cm7. I ran tiamat 1.1 a while back with one of the 50 nightlies and it worked better that stock cm7 kernel. Haven't ran aosp lately though.

Make sure you have made a backup through clockwork or ROM manager before you flash a kernel.

If your phone acts screwy after installing a kernel, just boot into recovery clear cache and install the ROM right over top again. That will restore the original kernel.

It you are wiping data before installing a cm7 update you will definitely need to reinstall a non stock cm7 kernel again. Even if installing a small update or patch you may need to reinstall again. It depends on if the nightly includes a kernel, they usually do.

In about phone in settings it should tell you which kernel you have.

Sent from my Incredible 2

Last edited:

anon(415574)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes you have to reflash the kernal every time you flash a new nightly CM7. Flashing a new nightly will install their own kernel.

I have run Tiamat 1.1.?, 1.1.2, and am on 1.1.3 now. Makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Does it? I'm running 1.1.3 right now. I'm on the Nightly from the end of August (56 or 57, I forgot the number). Running at 1.03 ghz, my quadrant score was consistently around 100 points lower than the stock CM7 kernel (2240 vs 2350), but the battery life was better. I ramped it up to 1.3 ghz, and I'm now about where I was with the CM7 kernel. I'll have to revisit battery life. FWIW, I'm running the Smartass V2 governor.

sjpritch25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Im running miui 09.30 with jdkernal nightly 9.19 and OC to 1.5mhz. My quadrant score is 2892 and i get great battery life.

As long as the kernal is compatible with ASOP rom you will be okay. Just make sure you backup via CWM and wipe cache & dalvick cache.

anon(415574)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Does it? I'm running 1.1.3 right now. I'm on the Nightly from the end of August (56 or 57, I forgot the number). Running at 1.03 ghz, my quadrant score was consistently around 100 points lower than the stock CM7 kernel (2240 vs 2350), but the battery life was better. I ramped it up to 1.3 ghz, and I'm now about where I was with the CM7 kernel. I'll have to revisit battery life. FWIW, I'm running the Smartass V2 governor.
Eh, I don't care about the benchmarks. It made a huge difference for me in battery life and, most importantly, CALL AND SPEAKERPHONE VOLUME!!

Honestly just getting rid of the stock ROM made the phone MORE than fast enough.. I never really oc'd it.

cvo515

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It does fly with cm7 and tiamat. I just cannot get over that low volume. I've been using sense mostly with some aosp flare to them to hold me over lol

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk