Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

meggaeslob

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
So I got my DInc 2 early September. I recently heard about rooting and Ive been looking into it for a couple hours now I found something on a temporary root but I got lost at the third step. I jailbroke my iphone before no hassle; this is soo much different. I guess I would just like a confirmation if its possible to do it on my phone yet, or if someone can share a thread that would help me out. Im new and dont understand some of the terms. Thank you

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It is possible once you downgrade your hboot .98 per the instructions in the development thread at xda. Then just follow the instructions to root 2.3.3. I will post a link later when I get to my laptop.

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, here are some links:

Downgrade hboot 0.98 - [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers

Root - [How to] Root Your DInc2 Tutorial! (2.3.3 GB Only) - xda-developers

The iPhone jailbreak is more automated and straight forward, but gives you less flexibility. I am not an expert by far, but I did figure it out myself with lots of web based research. I will give you what I know, and I won't guarantee to know it all or get it all right. I am not an Android or Linux expert.

You need to gain s-off before you can gain root access. S-off turns off security that allows you to gain root and flash any ROM.

You then want to install a recovery image like Clockworkmod. This allows you to clear cache, flash ROM's, backup and restore (nandroid backups).

Then you can backup your stock configuration and start flashing ROM's. As far as I know, you cannot gain root access with stock 2.3.4. You will want to try out a few ROM's. Make sure you backup. If you want global access, I recommend Skyraider Zeus or RMK's Gingersense. Both are sense ROM's with Skyraider having hybrid sens 2.1 and 3.0 features. You speed and battery life will be amazing compared to stock.

If you don't travel international, the world is open with choices. I like CM7 myself. Miui is quite popular also. Then there is Virtuous Unity and Mikmik ROM's. Several others.

Do your research before asking questions. Break it into small steps of learning. You will get there. XDA and rootzwiki have a ton of resource. Read, read, and read!

ediddy406

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for being a total noob, but ive been trying for hours to figure out how to do the XDA downgrade that is on their forum...but i have no idea what im doing...when it comes to it i am lost....is there anyone out here who can help a total noob and put the instructions into total vanilla noob language? or even post a youtube video on how to do this? THANK YOU!!!!!

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I am going to try. I might break this into multiple replies and might not get them all up tonight. I will assume you are in Windows 7 for all of this! I did use an Ubuntu Live CD to do the s-off procedure, but I think there is revolutionary instructions for Windows.

(1) First enable USB debugging on your phone by going to Settings->Applications->Development. Then turn off fastboot by going to Settings->Power (this is different than the fastboot mode choice once in recovery, which is used with the fastboot.exe that is part of the Android SDK.)

(2) Next install the HTC USB Driver for the Droid Incredible 2. You can find the download link in the XDA downgrade thread at [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers

(3) Install the Android SDK, which will include ADB and Fastboot. You can find the instructions and the download link here: What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK

You can skip the USB driver install because you have what you need from Step (2). Fastboot is in the platform tools folder. I just moved adb.exe and adbwinapi.dll from the tools folder to the platform tools folder so they are in the same location as fastboot. I also place any files I am flashing to the phone, etc in that same folder. It just makes is easier to change to that folder at the command prompt and execute commands from there. (The easy way to open the folder at the command prompt in Windows 7 is to hold down shift and right click the folder. You will get a command window option.)

At this point you should have a C:\android-sdk-windows folder and the necessary files under it. If you have trouble to here, I don't think you should go any further.

As an alternative to step (3), and easier, is to download attn1's kit from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1298990. It contains the files necessary to run adb and fastboot without installing the Android SDK. The key is to put all of the files from his kit under .\tools\win in the same folder as the files in the root folder of his kit (namely misc_version, zergRush, etc). Put them in c:\adb would be my suggestion.

Assuming you did the paragraph above, which I recommend. Do the following:

(4) Open the command prompt and change to c:\adb. Connect your phone via USB as charge only. You should have USB debugging enabled per the above. Manually execute the commands from attn1's downgrade thread. Namely:

adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*
adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
fastboot reboot

At this point, you should have downgraded your hboot and can gain s-off.

(5) Attn1's thread also contains the link to gaining s-off and installing cwm (clockworkmod recovery) using Revolutionary: http://revolutionary.io/

You should be able to run this per the instructions there. This will set security off and install the clockwordmod recovery. You can follow this thread for more thorough instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1219246

At this point you are downgraded with s-off and clockworkdmod installed. You now have everything you need to flash ROM's, etc.

(6) You should read about flashing ROM's, etc here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1268030

There are other resources if you search.

(7) You get into recovery by turning off your phone. Then hold volume down and power on. Then you use the volume keys to move the cursor up and down one in the bootloader. Use the power button to choose options. The same goes for once you are in recovery. You should see an option called "recovery" once booted into the bootloader. This will run CWM. The first thing you should do is do a nandroid backup in the backup and recovery menu. Make sure you have a least 1 GB free on your SD-card (I keep 4 GB for experimenting with ROM's). This will backup your stock ROM setup.

(8) Now you can reboot, download ROM's to your SD card and flash them as instructed. Good luck.

Last edited:

gir007

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
umm I downloaded something from xda that had a whole command prompt thing in and I clicked it and it just rooted my phone by itself I think will see what happened

edit: it literally downgraded my whole op system to 2.3.3!!!! ima see if I can remember link to poist my phones rooted!

rdit 2 this is link I used and I clicked on the link that included scripts and tools theres a command prompt it literally does everything for you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1298990

Last edited:

ediddy406

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
THANK YOU!!!!!! You are an amazing help!!!! Everyone over at XDA would get lambasted for asking for help...good to know there are still some nice people in the rooting world :D:D

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
umm I downloaded something from xda that had a whole command prompt thing in and I clicked it and it just rooted my phone by itself I think will see what happened

edit: it literally downgraded my whole op system to 2.3.3!!!! ima see if I can remember link to poist my phones rooted!

rdit 2 this is link I used and I clicked on the link that included scripts and tools theres a command prompt it literally does everything for you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1298990

Same link I put above, but I wanted to add more color because he asked for a more in depth explanation. Attn1 did everyone a favor for sure with that tool.

Sometimes you can get flamed at XDA for asking basic questions. Everyone has to learn, and I wish some people were not so offensive when new users ask for help. Overall I think XDA is a great site with many great members.

Reactions: gir007

gir007

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Same link I put above, but I wanted to add more color because he asked for a more in depth explanation. Attn1 did everyone a favor for sure with that tool.

Sometimes you can get flamed at XDA for asking basic questions. Everyone has to learn, and I wish some people were not so offensive when new users ask for help. Overall I think XDA is a great site with many great members.

I was wondering why it was similar but by far yours was the best description I have seen even I was able to understand yours. but I ended up accidently clicking that commnd link I thought wasw just command line shortcut or something lol. but watever extra file was on there it went back to 2.3.3 so my question for you tack does that happen regardless or was it that file? cuz I thought it was just a boot loader.

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering why it was similar but by far yours was the best description I have seen even I was able to understand yours. but I ended up accidently clicking that commnd link I thought wasw just command line shortcut or something lol. but watever extra file was on there it went back to 2.3.3 so my question for you tack does that happen regardless or was it that file? cuz I thought it was just a boot loader.

It was the file he placed in the kit. The purpose was to take you bootloader and OS back to older versions so you can root. The RUU file was the 2.3.3 release from Verizon.

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Now for a search for most stable vanilla rom!

In terms of vanilla rom's, if you like Sense I had good luck with RMK's Gingersense and it is patched to the newest release. I use Skyraider Zeus, which is a Sense 2.1/3.0 hybrid that works great. They are both good if you want good, stock international GSM access.

I really like CM7 for non-international use. Virtuous Unity is a nice Sense 3.0 ROM, and a lot of people like Miui.

DougieFresh-sr20ve

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Heys guys, this thread has been a huge help so far, but I am having a problem. I downloaded the kit from the XDA site, extracted the zip, and opened up the abd command file, and the command opens and then closes immediately.....I dont know what the issue would be. I even rebooted my PC, deleted the zip. and extracted folders, redownloaded and it still is doing it. Any suggestions would be hugely appriciated!!

DougieFresh-sr20ve

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything I can think of!! Everytime I run as ADMIN, It pops up and disappears just as quickly!!! I cannot think of anything that I have done wrong or how to correct this.....CAN ANYONE HELP?!?!?!?!

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
You need to run the Windows cmd prompt as admin, not just the script files attached. Then manually from the terminal execute the scripts. Or you could execute the adb commands manually as I indicated in the thread.