HOW TO: Temp Root for DInc2

May 24, 2011
Visit site
You need to go into Bloat Freeze's options and choose Titanium Backup method for the bloat ware to stay frozen after a reboot.

I'm using Bloat Freezer and when i go into settings I see "Alternate Freeze Method" once i check that and reboot all apps will remain frozen until I root and again and unfreeze them? Also I saw that wifi tether works but it still pops a message saying I need the wifi tether plan from Verizon

chaqfoistylo

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Can't install drivers??

Hey Guys,

Whenever I try to do the "pushroot" in CMD, i get the "link failed File exists" message after the ln step.

Then, the adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot produces: "mmap ( ) failed. Operation not permitted"

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have to unfreeze the apps to update to 2.3 when it comes out correct? so would i just have to re-root to unfreeze them later on?

No need to do anything, since they are just frozen and nothing has been deleted from the system files, you will be able to upgrade without having to do anything

Hey Guys,

Whenever I try to do the "pushroot" in CMD, i get the "link failed File exists" message after the ln step.

Then, the adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot produces: "mmap ( ) failed. Operation not permitted"

Any ideas?

Thanks

Can you please do a copy and paste of all the errors so we can help you better, helps us to see all of the syntax

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
rooted, now what?

Thanks for the awesome, simple guide!

I've had my Dinc2 for about 48hrs and it's rooted now!

I swapped off a blackberry, so android is very new to me.

Now that I'm rooted, what should I do? My main concern is battery life, so I think I need bloat freeze ad setcpu.

The only persistent apps I have going are the messaging ones, and the google location stuff so I can see the weather.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the awesome, simple guide!

I've had my Dinc2 for about 48hrs and it's rooted now!

I swapped off a blackberry, so android is very new to me.

Now that I'm rooted, what should I do? My main concern is battery life, so I think I need bloat freeze ad setcpu.

The only persistent apps I have going are the messaging ones, and the google location stuff so I can see the weather.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I got the SystemPanel App. You don't need to be rooted but it gives you a view of what apps are running and how much RAM they are taking up. Also shows you CPU usage and how much each app uses the CPU and for how long. I got the free version because I haven't had the need to monitor apps to see which ones are taking all my RAM and how much they are pinging the CPU. The free version does everything the paid version does EXCEPT the live monitoring of apps. It also has an app killer feature.

I froze EVERY Verizon app that is on the phone. Also, I froze most of the HTC stuff too. Mobile IM(kept wanting to run when NOT in IM), most widgets that I don't use, all the "free" games, NFL Mobile, Peep(by freezing this you CAN'T use HTC's twitter widget).

SetCPU is cool so when the phone is charging or sitting idle, you can create profiles so that when it is sitting idle, you can lower the frequency of the CPU so it doesn't go full 1ghz when it doesn't need to so you can save battery that way. IT DOESN"T overclock the Dinc2. Since it's not flashed to allow overclocking, it will just max out at the 1024mhz frequency. It does let you set that frequency to 1024mhz at all times if say you feel you need it for some serious power but "with great power, comes great responsibility"(sorry I had to do it). I would say buy SetCPU. It's only $.99, you aren't losing much.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: rhcreed

applejacks108

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
i've been able to temp root it. it rebooted so i did it all again. i messed up and started from pushroot.bat. instead of just from step 7. The first time i temp rooted everything was fine. yesterday when i did it again my phone started activing funny. It started with double texting. then it started lagging when i opened messages. Then i would type something and it would just close on me and open a new message, or i would click on the buttons but no text would type. Things randomly force closed. and at one point i tried to open the default sms and it said the mms had to be force closed followed by a white blank screen that i couldn't press back or home to get rid of. I pressed the lock and unlock button and i could see the lock page. i unlocked my phone and the home screen showed up although it took a while. I clicked on messages again and it went back to the white screen. after that i rebooted my phone and it seems like everything is working fine now. when i did root it again yesterday. it did say $# instead of just # for step 9 but after i typed the last part only # came up. anyone help me i wanna temproot it again but i'm scared.

NeonGreen

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
This is for n00bs like myself that had to search around before getting into this and doing it correctly. A lot was copied from the Inc S thread, but felt the instructions were needed here so no need for searching there and crowding their forum with our questions: Temp root for apps required root access (for s-on IS) - xda-developers

Psneuter exploit is working on DInc2, but because /system is locked on s-on phones, we can't copy su and superuser.apk into /system, apps required root access can't work.

The following procedure uses psenuter exploit to gain adb shell root, and then copy su (without privilege control ) and busybox into /sbin (which is on rootfs and in the global PATH list) to gain root access for apps.

The procedure:
1. Install the HTC Sync software or PDANet software to install drivers for your phone to Windows
2. Ensure that the device is in USB Debug mode, go to Settings > Applications > Development and "tick" USB debugging and plug in your phone to your PC
3. Unzip the attached .zip into a directory (like c:\adb)
4. Open a command prompt by going to start > run and running CMD, and cd to the directory where you extracted the .zip (like cd \adb)
5. Type "adb devices" > enter, and ensure that your device has been detected
6. Run the "pushroot.bat" file
7. Type "adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot" > enter
8. Type "adb shell" > enter
9. You are now in # prompt. Type "/data/local/tmp/pushroot"

You have to redo steps 7, 8, 9 once you reboot your phone.

The procedure will have all apps gaining root access.
!!USE ON YOUR OWN RISK!!

Known working programs: Root explorer, Titanium backup, gscript lite, trasproxy 2.04, ...
Some apps check existence of su in /system/xbin , and reject to proceed if the su binary is not exist (like transproxy 3.08). For this kind of apps, this procedure won't help.

I run Bloat Freezer to rid the VZW apps
Thanks!!!

gman757

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Error messages

I can't get it to work on my DInc2. I have USB Debugging mode on. I went through the steps listed. When I run pushroot.bat, I get the following error messages:

C:\Dinc2>adb push su /data/local/tmp
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
protocol failure

C:\Dinc2>adb shell chmod 6755 /data/local/tmp/su
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
Unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/su: No such file or directory

All of the other commands seem to work. I'm assuming the "adb server is out of date. killing..." message is normal?

Then when I run adb shell, I do get the # prompt. But when I try to do the last step, I get this:

# /data/local/tmp/pushroot
/data/local/tmp/pushroot
cp: can't stat '/data/local/tmp/su': No such file or directory

I've tried rebooting the phone and my computer, but get the same message. Any suggestions?

yozick

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Just followed the instruction on the first page and it worked great. Got TI BU installed and syncing to my Dropbox as I type this. Thank you..

sjblak02

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who went through the rooting for the original incredible from unrevoked >_<

So many minutes... Ill never get back...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes