I know almost nothing about rooting besides the benefits to it. I plan on rooting once it is officially ready (should be any day now right?) and a step the step guide is released but in the meantime, what are the long term negatives to rooting my DINC2?
    06-27-2011 07:42 PM
    Long term, not entirely too much. There is a theory that overclocking too high can cause issues to your CPU with the heat but that is why the devs will always make it known what is stable.

The thing that is making me 50/50 on rooting this is the idea of having to maintain my phone based on dev's making updates. A way I look at custom ROMS is that they're always in Beta. In all the different ones I ran on my Eris there was almost always some type of update 1-2 times a month due to something being broken. The only one I didn't this happening on too frequently was Cyanogen based ROMS but again, there were still some issues.

Some of the common things I've seen come up with most ROMS with issues are:
    Antenna issues
    Wifi
    GPS
    Not receiving MMS properly
    Front facing camera
    4G

Despite the above listed, also keep in mind these things also happen on vendor released phones. So yeah, if you do it have fun it can be a lot of fun but don't expect near flawless ROMS
    06-27-2011 09:27 PM
    Coming from a rooted Inc1, only drawback i can think of are voiding warranty. And doing something your not supposed to, Like bricking a phone bc u dont read directions carefully or u have no busines trying something. Rule of thumb: *if i dont know what it is i dont touch it*

Oh i almost forgot, you can also remove bloatware on a stock rom that is necessary for the phone to operate normal. Again, if you dont know what it is leave it alone
    06-27-2011 09:28 PM
    Despite what alot of people say i am a huge fan of sense. So i agree with what u say. My last phone was a rooted Inc1. And there were a ton of roms available, but NONE were perfect. There was always something wrong with them in some capacity. So i consistently ran a stock rom with all bloat removed and a good profile set up on setcpu with hydrakernal to get good battery life when the screen was off. And even now, on my Inc2 i won't mess with kernels. I dont know if this is to blame but it raised an eyebrow. I had my kernel overclocked and it ran fine for a few months. Then all of a sudden it started to get really hot out. A few weeks ago we had like 4 days here in NY where it was 90+ consistently everyday. With humidity it felt like it was over 100. Since that day my phone started random rebooting all the time. I would get 5-10 reboots a day with web surfing and stuff like that, almost unuseable. I always wiped everything before flashing. And the battery always felt hot Now im no genius but i have a suspicion something overheated and the phone was fried. So here i am with an Inc 2 ( i love it ) and i ahve learned a few lessons

I just wanna remove bloat...
    06-27-2011 09:36 PM
    I've never been a fan of overclocking. Even during the 486 and early Pentium PC days where people were doing this. Think of overclocking like a car engine. You keep the engine revving too high for too long things will fail.
    06-28-2011 08:00 AM
    Ya, but back in the day when you could buy a $50 Celeron or Athlon and OC them to the same speed as a $300 chip was well worth it, even if the cpu died early, it was still more cost effective.

Overclocking your phone on the other hand... You cant swap out a new cpu. And your not exactly trying to run Crysis at full detail
    06-28-2011 08:29 AM
    The only drawback I see is voiding the warranty. You can use custom roms or stock on rooted devices. You get your choice. I customize my own version of the stock Rom because that's what I like. I do try out other devs roms but usually just revert back stock minus bloatware.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    06-28-2011 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD