Waiting for phone, looking for screen protectors...

novacellx

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for suggesting the SGP - Steinheil Crystal Clear.

Just have to caution on the side of patience and work in a dust free area. When using the scotch tape method to detach dust, I accidentally caused an abrasion on the adhesive side that I could not repair on my first application.

The second attempt went much smoother, no particles stuck under the film. Particles tend to cause a cavity keeping a small air pocket surrounding it. If using tape to remove dust, be sure to use a type that has light adhesion and does not leave part of its own residue behind.

I noticed almost immediately a strange improvement for the responsiveness of touch for the screen after the protector was applied. It also tends to be a much smoother surface allowing my fingers to glide. Even though it is not specified as a main feature the Crystal Clear, from what I have noticed, tends to resist fingerprints slightly more so than the unprotected surface. Also, seemingly because of the smoothness, smudging is not as obstructive, it tends to distribute oil from skin more evenly while remaining fairly clear.

bobstudent3

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried the Zagg, but it makes the screen darker and the screen is not as smooth. Ever since I started using the Swype keyboard, having a smooth screen has become more important.

Last night, I just put on the screen from Boxwave. It's crystal clear, but the screen is still stickier than I'd like. I'd like to try the SGP Crystal Clear, but it looks like it's out of stock again. Can anyone tell me if the SGP provides a low friction surface?

Zooks64

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I tried the Zagg, but it makes the screen darker and the screen is not as smooth. Ever since I started using the Swype keyboard, having a smooth screen has become more important.

Last night, I just put on the screen from Boxwave. It's crystal clear, but the screen is still stickier than I'd like. I'd like to try the SGP Crystal Clear, but it looks like it's out of stock again. Can anyone tell me if the SGP provides a low friction surface?

That's interesting about the Boxwave. I have the Boxwave anti-glare version and it could not be any smoother. I was thinking about trying the clear version but only if it was as smooth as the anti-glare. Based on your comments I'm thinking it isn't.

I use ShapeWriter and a smooth, slippery protector is a must. I guess I will stick with the anti-glare.

bobstudent3

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
That's interesting about the Boxwave. I have the Boxwave anti-glare version and it could not be any smoother. I was thinking about trying the clear version but only if it was as smooth as the anti-glare. Based on your comments I'm thinking it isn't.

I use ShapeWriter and a smooth, slippery protector is a must. I guess I will stick with the anti-glare.

The Boxwave crystal clear is much better than the Zagg in terms of its drag coefficient. In fact, in air-conditioned buildings or normal weather, the screen is pretty slick. It's not as friction-free as the original screen, but it's really not bad.

My apartment is always > 90 degrees, so everything gets stickier, except for the original glass screen. I didn't know if the SGP worked any better than the Boxwave in high heat, high humidity situations.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
SGP - Steinheil Crystal Clear is back in stock as I just ordered them...

At this rate I will own every item needed for my phone....

Screen Protector.... Hard Case.... Holster..... Blue Ant Ear piece.... Extended Battery...

CRIKEY! :eek: I will have all of these items by the 6/1... a week or more before the phone makes it!

LOL!:D

Lego

Last edited:

ozzman54

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I am getting the SGP clear protector but I'm new to applying these.

How would you guys recommend cleaning my screen before applying the protector since it is currently full of fingerprints and smudges?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed they will send me some cleaner and a cloth!

Last edited:

dspcap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was watching a how to video on how to apply the phantom skins to a lg dare and they don't seem hard to apply. But its the whole water + phone situation that I'm not liking.

Completely understand how you feel. First time I put on a phantomskinz I was really nervous. They are outstanding screen protectors and easy to put on.

I use tweezers and shake the film for a minute to get all excess water off. They go on and stay on !

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I know this is not very popular. But...

Go NAKED! The screen is glass and I've gone naked for months. No scratches, easy to clean, great tactile feedback, no bubbles, no application problems, ZERO cost.

the screen is better than plain glass. It's some sort of special Android glass with super powers.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Until that first accidental drop and land on the screen.....

SCRAAAAAATCH!

No turning back then!

Lego!

You'd think so wouldn't you? Seriously, this screen is tough. I've seen screen protectors that are waaaay past their prime and the user is too cheap / lazy to switch them out. I don't use one and my screen looks BETTER than theirs.

To each his own.

Do a little googleing and check out some of the youtube videos for the Droid screen. It's amoled (whatever that means) -- I was serious when I said super powers. I don't think a drop would make any difference.

*** in my opinion *** (repeat) in my OPINION, screen protectors on glass screen are way overrated a waste of time & money.

However, if one insists on a screen protector... be sure to get something to cut down on sun glare - that's a major drawback of an unprotected screen.

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
From what I heard the anti-glare protectors suck. They make the screen very dark, have a rubbery feel, and don't even protect glare that much. I honestly suggest the zagg screen protector. You have to apply a liquid spray on it but its a nice shield. I bought my phone at best buy which is way better than a Verizon store or online and they put the screen protector on for me. They also said if they screwed up they would just put a new one on. You only get one shield, but the great thing about the protector is if you ever have a problem with it then they will send you a new one because it has a life time guarantee. Plus the thing will never scratch.