Are all usb chargers the same?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Can I use some of my old USB chargers on any phone? I have seen articles online saying that all USB chargers are the same, and that it won't hurt the device, but I would want a little more assurance.

sklemp

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
They are all the same. USB 2.0 is a standard. They all provide 5 Volts and have the same pin arrangement on the plugs.

You're safe.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can say this...

a PC's USB port is usually spec'd to put out 5v and 500ma.

Chargers I have from my older blackberries, motorola phones, and smart phones which have a USB end on them have 5v output, but 500, 550, 750, 850 and 1000 ma. The higher ma rated chargers do charge my devices faster.

So far, I've been using the same chargers with all my phones since 2007... it hasn't hurt one of my phones yet.

For the phones that have MicroUSB ports on them, I use the Moto SKN6252A adapters, and still continue to use my older chargers at my desk.

I'v done this with my Moto Razrs (v3c and V9M), Moto Q9m, Blackberries (too many to list), HTC VX6900, Moto Droid, Moto Devour, HTC Inc, etc.

trebores

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can say this...

Chargers I have from my older blackberries, motorola phones, and smart phones which have a USB end on them have 5v output, but 500, 550, 750, 850 and 1000 ma. The higher ma rated chargers do charge my devices faster.

So far, I've been using the same chargers with all my phones since 2007... it hasn't hurt one of my phones yet.

For the phones that have MicroUSB ports on them, I use the Moto SKN6252A adapters, and still continue to use my older chargers at my desk.

I'v done this with my Moto Razrs (v3c and V9M), Moto Q9m, Blackberries (too many to list), HTC VX6900, Moto Droid, Moto Devour, HTC Inc, etc.

This is all true - while the USB spec calls for certain things, in my experience not all adapters are the same. Some devices require certain things to make charging work - for example I had a Moto Q with mini usb (bad memories) that only worked with some adapters that somehow enabled the charging mode of the device (probably an IC / switch). The palm pre which I previously had also wouldn't charge with certain chargers.

Having said all of that, I have had no problem using any of my misc usb chargers with the incredible. I don't think the incredible is picky about charging and the higher ma chargers do charge the battery faster.

Last edited:

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
This is all true - while the USB spec calls for certain things, in my experience not all adapters are the same. Some devices require certain things to make charging work - for example I had a Moto Q with mini usb (bad memories) that only worked with some adapters that somehow enabled the charging mode of the device (probably an IC / switch). The palm pre which I previously had also wouldn't charge with certain chargers.

Having said all of that, I have had no problem using any of my misc usb chargers with the incredible. I don't think the incredible is picky about charging and the higher ma chargers do charge the battery faster.

I, too, found that my wife's Q9h would not charge using just any tom ****, or harry micro usb. The good news is that the car charger that wouldn't work on her Q9 does work on my DI. :cool:

finnd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
not sure how sensitive the Inc will be, but you can search the googles and find stories of DROID's going crazy with cheap ebay chargers.

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

This is true. Each charger might have different ratings on what they output to your phone but that won't really matter unless it is hugely different. Most likely if a phone is using micro USB then they will all have specs that are slightly close. So you can use any micro USB charger. I am using my old LG dare charger all the time and it works exactly the same.

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
not sure how sensitive the Inc will be, but you can search the googles and find stories of DROID's going crazy with cheap ebay chargers.

A sh&*ty unit can cause issues regardless of what it claims as specs.

And the Inc's do seem a bit sensitive to power supplies.

If you have chargers already and they work, then great, but if I was going to spend the time, effort and cash to buy new ones, I would stick to decent units as opposed to buying a bag full of crap.

But, that's just me ;)

(All of my BB stuff works fine (500mA-750mA range). My Jawbone car usb does not (phone freaks out when plugged in.)

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Reminds me of a story...

I had my Moto Droid for like a week. I went into the Verizon store to buy accessories. I was waiting to be checked out for my $29.99 car charger and decided to use my Moto Droid's browser to shop for a better price. I found one on Ebay for like $5 with free shipping. When it's my turn, I ask the Verizon guy if I can use the cheap Ebay one. He was warning me that, "no man. It'll fry your phone and void your warranty! Don't use it!" Well, I ignored him and bought me cheap-o charger and haven't had a single problem (been using for 6 months).

So, if someone says you need a "special" charger... chances are they're trying to sell you theirs.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
the charger that comes with the incredible is 5V 1A. the charger for the bb storm is 5V 700ma, and the charger for my garmin training computer is 5V 500ma. the difference? the htc one charges the phone in 1-2 hours. the storm one charges the phone in 1.5-2.5 hours, and the garmin one charges the phone in about the same amount of time it takes to charge when plugged directly into the pc, about 4-4.5 hours.

moral? they all charge sufficiently, but due to the various milliamperage (?) the charging times vary. so if you have a usb wall charger, by all means use it, but take a look at the ma number on it to get an idea of how long it will take...

hope this helps

jimracing657

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Reminds me of a story...

I had my Moto Droid for like a week. I went into the Verizon store to buy accessories. I was waiting to be checked out for my $29.99 car charger and decided to use my Moto Droid's browser to shop for a better price. I found one on Ebay for like $5 with free shipping. When it's my turn, I ask the Verizon guy if I can use the cheap Ebay one. He was warning me that, "no man. It'll fry your phone and void your warranty! Don't use it!" Well, I ignored him and bought me cheap-o charger and haven't had a single problem (been using for 6 months).

So, if someone says you need a "special" charger... chances are they're trying to sell you theirs.

wow...i guess the little amount of money they make from selling 29 bucks worth of accessories is worth sounding like an idiot haha.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
...Some devices require certain things to make charging work - for example I had a Moto Q with mini usb (bad memories) that only worked with some adapters that somehow enabled the charging mode of the device (probably an IC / switch)...
Moto PHONES were picky about what charger you used.

For example, my V3C, V9M, and Q9M needed a real Moto charger or a VZW branded "for moto" charger. Use something else, and I'd get an error message on the phone's screen.

My BB's, LG's, and incredible can use pretty much any charger w/USB end that I have.

...but if I was going to spend the time, effort and cash to buy new ones, I would stick to decent units as opposed to buying a bag full of crap.
Yup. Exactly...

I use a mix of Moto and Rim/Blackberry branded wall chargers. And continue to use my VZW car charger. (with Mini to Micro adapters when needed).

Last edited:

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
A family member has an HTC Droid Eris; another family member has an HTC Touch Pro 2.

The USB interface on the Eris and on the Touch Pro 2 look larger than the micro-USB interface on the Incredible.

How can I determine whether the chargers for the Eris and the Touch Pro 2 are safe to use with the Incredible?

EDIT: I'm fairly certain that the Eris and Touch Pro 2 cables are mini-USB. That being the case and according to http://forum.androidcentral.com/droid-incredible/10430-micro-usb-not-mini.html, it would seem that these chargers are *not* compatible with the Incredible. Therefore, for my vehicle, I need to invest in a dual USB charger as well as a mini-USB cable and a micro-USB cable--so that I can concurrently charge the Incredible and either the Eris or Touch Pro 2. And to supplement the native micro-USB cable and A/C plug that came with the Incredible, I want to invest in another A/C plug and a longer micro-USB cable. I *could* use the native micro-USB cable; considering how inexpensive they are, however, it makes more sense to purchase more. I'd also like to make sure that the cables provide charging *and* data syncing. Any suggestions on where to buy the A/C plug and the cables? I figure Amazon.com or Monoprice.com; however, I want to avoid the junk products.

Last edited:

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
From memory, when I had an Eris for a few days, it had a special plug needed. Not micro nor mini usb. Had a wierd shape...