HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case

drPheta

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I got my HTC 2150mAH battery today from VZW. It's HUGE, but I've been thinking about how to make it more streamlined since I heard about it. Enter my dremel work.

Dremel out the rear of the VZW snap case to match the bulge on the new battery door. Sand it down smooth, and here you have it. It's pretty nice feeling, and it doesn't bulge out too much. It's still bulkier than before, however if you had a protective case already it isn't much of a difference.

Now, my phone looks good and holds a charge longer.

View attachment 1503

View attachment 1504

View attachment 1507

View attachment 1505

View attachment 1506

NOTE:
Decided to meet some of the demand and offer my modding to you guys.

I will do this on a per request basis for $45 including the case, and $25 if you mail me the case yourself. This includes shipping the case to you (you pay for shipping to me). If I grab the case myself, I simply run to the VZW store and pick on up, and this saves you on shipping to me.

PM me if you want me to do this. Just give me about 5 days or so turnaround time, as I have full time obligations elsewhere.

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Not a bad mod, but the case is meant to protect the battery covers "soft" touch finish too. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? With that aside is does look like a pretty nice job ya did.

drPheta

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, with this battery, you kind of can't have everything. Although, the soft back is easily replaceable, so this seems to be the best option so far.

Thanks guys. My dentist skills put to good use. Hah.

Zabi#AC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How much extra (over the cost of the case) would you charge to do that to a case for me? :O (That is, if you're willing)

drPheta

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
How much extra (over the cost of the case) would you charge to do that to a case for me? :O (That is, if you're willing)

Too much. haha. Seriously, if you guys have a dremel and some patience you could do this. Took me about two hours to meticulously cut it out and get it just right.

chomsky1

Banned
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You, sir, are a mad scientist...anyone who can make that hunchback monstrosity look good deserves a lot of credit. Great mod, wish you were my next-door neighbor.

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
That looks damn good, I have two to yet it out on. I just hope it looks half as good as yours.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Dremel out the rear of the VZW snap case to match the bulge on the new battery door. Sand it down smooth, and here you have it. It's pretty nice feeling, and it doesn't bulge out too much. It's still bulkier than before, however if you had a protective case already it isn't much of a difference.

Great job and great pics showing the mod... I posted a while ago when they were just teasing us that Extended Batteries would be made available... You know, when Puppies were the oldest animals... That I wanted to do something like this to my VZW Case Holster combo. Since it sits in the holster battery out, I'd still be able to use it. Now you just gave me a visualization of what I need to do... Thanks again!

P.S. Which Dremel bit did you use? Also, any guides or attachments or just the bit?

drPheta

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I used a cutting disc initially. Then I rounded the corners with the arbor band/chuck (different sizes for different corners. I smoothed/rounded the entire cutout with an cone shaped grinding stone. Lastly, stepped up sandpaper from 80 grit, up to 800 grit.

No guides, just freehand. A guide couldn't hurt, however keep in mind the outer surface is painted on. Don't gouge or scratch it.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks... The case I have isn't painted, so I won't have to worry... I have all those bits, thankfully... Time to dust off the ole Dremel!

Last thing I modded with my Dremel was a steel computer case, so I'm pretty sure the rubberized plastic will be a bit easier to cut... Although I think I better open a window...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers