microSD card recommendations?

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
i've preordered my Incredible just like everyone else here, but this will be my first Android device that i've purchased for myself (configured others at work but never had one personally). anyway, i'm coming from the iPhone (i hate this piece of crap) and ive never really had a need for a microSD card.

that being said, i'm wanting to get a 16gb sd card ASAP, but i have been seeing some stuff about different speeds of sd cards? like version 2 or version 4 or whatever. can anyone shed some light on this? and are there any recommendations for which one to get specifically?

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
not sure if you know this. but the Incredible come with 8g on board & 8g microSD for a 16g total.

well yeah i did see that, but i thought that maybe that was a typo or something because several reviews just talk about 8gb of storage really being 6.6gb of storage because of the OS and stuff. but you are saying it comes with the SD card which some reviewers point out. i guess im just a little confused at this point. for instance, on VZW's site, they show 8gb of storage. why would they not mention 16gb and tout the amount of space it has over other smartphones?

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
even if the internal storage is 6.6 gigs...you still get that 8gig sd card. giving you a total of 14.6....about what my droid has with a bunch of apps and 40 or so songs on it.

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
it comes w/ a 8gb card as well? that's news to me! :)

Well, ive heard two stories. All the unboxing videos have not pointed out havnig a microsd. But ive heard other people saying it does come with one. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

i was browsing newegg.com and you can get an 8gig microsd for like....$30 or so i think.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, ive heard two stories. All the unboxing videos have not pointed out havnig a microsd. But ive heard other people saying it does come with one. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

i was browsing newegg.com and you can get an 8gig microsd for like....$30 or so i think.

yeah i think theres some misinformation out there. ive screen screenshots of the info screen and it shows both internal storage and sd storage. now that could just be that verizon popped an sd card in there for the tester (my assumption). otherwise their front page marketing would be talking about how it gives you 16gb of storage right out of the box where most phones dont even get close to that much out of the box.

if you have kids....8gb's fills up quickly. my music is about 4gb worth, and then the rest is pics...so i'll need an sd card most likely.

so that goes back to my original question: what type of sd card should i get?

mr.s4ndm4n

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the phone comes with the 8gb card pre-installed. You may be asking, why haven't the video reviewers pointed it out??? It's because the units that have are for testers and dealers to view and publicize the phone. This is just my assumption, but i know this is what verizon did when they released the Storm2 back in October.

To answer your question though: I don't think you're gonna notice to much of a different while the card is in your phone. The speed of the card comes into play when you are transferring data from the card to the computer. I think you're looking into the situation more than is really necessary.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW: I've found Ebay to be the cheapest place for buying memory cards.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
To answer your question though: I don't think you're gonna notice to much of a different while the card is in your phone. The speed of the card comes into play when you are transferring data from the card to the computer. I think you're looking into the situation more than is really necessary.

Just my 2 cents.

perfect answer. i was hoping i was just being overly excited/analytical :). i dont plan on doing lots of bulky transfers cept for the beginning when i transfer my music and pics for the first time.

anyway...i'll just wait and *gasp* see what it comes with next week! :eek:..... nerd + upcoming tech release + patience = "dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria!"

mothy

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I would go with a 16GB if you need it now but it looks like support for the 32 is around the corner if you can hold out.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
good info all around, thanks guys. i think im gonna wait it out and see what my needs are. if it comes with an extra 8gb sd card out of box i wont need any more for the time being.

mothy

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I would go with a 16GB if you need it now but it looks like support for the 32 is around the corner if you can hold out.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Just ordered one. Cory, how good were the numbers?

Sandisk 4GB Class 2 micro SDHC card:

write = 487.16 KB/sec
read = 13444.20 KB/sec

Transcend 16GB Class 6 micro SDHC card:

write = 408.73
read 16384.00

I'm still looking for the A-Data results, but I know it was better than both of the cards above. I'll update this post when I find them. I've attached the full test results for the 2 cards above.

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
perfect answer. i was hoping i was just being overly excited/analytical :). i dont plan on doing lots of bulky transfers cept for the beginning when i transfer my music and pics for the first time.

anyway...i'll just wait and *gasp* see what it comes with next week! :eek:..... nerd + upcoming tech release + patience = "dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria!"

Way to go on the Ghostbusters Reference man! You are my new friend! Haha. Just to chime in here real quick, I don't think it comes with a pre-installed card. Here's why I say that: I just bought an Eris last week and the side of the package states the package contents and outlines clearly that it comes with an 8gb MicroSD card. I looked at the side of the box on the Incredible unboxing videos and none of them say that. Everything else on that side of the box is the same though. I realize the test unit might be different but I wouldn't think the box would be special for the test units ya know...?

John-Paul

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
But what class does the Incredible support? Or are Cory Streater's test results basically saying it doesn't matter, only the quality of the manufacturer is important?

R

Roy Aguilera

Class 2-10.
Cory was just showing which class 6 was the fastest.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
But what class does the Incredible support? Or are Cory Streater's test results basically saying it doesn't matter, only the quality of the manufacturer is important?

Class ratings specify the minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied" (Yes, I stole that from Wikipedia). Manufactures must meet or exceed the minimums specified for each class. So yes, there will be wide variances in different cards and different manufactures. The class rating is a misleading indicator on how fast the card really is.

I'm not having any luck whatsoever finding my A-Data test results, so you're just going to have to trust me that it was faster than the other 2. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad