Hi AC forums,

I am seriously thinking about rooting and putting some custom roms on my DINC. I have a few ROMs in mind and I was wondering if you guys could give me your thoughts on them and then anything I would have to install once I got the ROM installed, i.e. gapps, camera app for CM7, etc.

Here is the list of ROMs I am thinking about.

CM 7.0.3
    Skyraider 4.2
    KINgDoM REwInD 3D

and some other Sense 3.0 and 3.0/2.1 ROMs

Thanks,
    arran1
    07-11-2011 05:37 PM
    Arran1

The first 2 are good stable ROM's. I have not played with Rewind myself so I can't vouch for it personally.

You will have to load the GAPPS on CM7, as you would with any AOSP ROM. Skyraider already has them.

Be sure you read the OP's of the individual ROM carefully before flashing for any ROM specific instructions.

Happy Flashing.
    arran1 likes this.
    07-11-2011 05:51 PM
    Thank you. I will be sure to read the OP!
    07-11-2011 06:36 PM
    Be sure to check out the OP for the CM7 thread here, I heard it's the best
    arran1 likes this.
    07-11-2011 07:34 PM
    CyanogenMod 7 Is Pretty Good ! i have it on and it works flawlessly.
    arran1 likes this.
    07-11-2011 07:40 PM
    Will do crondable! So have I
    07-11-2011 07:46 PM
    Be sure to check out the OP for the CM7 thread here, I heard it's the best
    If he does say so himself... and he does!
    07-11-2011 08:10 PM
    Lots of AOSP love going on around here (I still need to take the leap and try out CM7)

But from another point of view, it depends on if you are a fan of Sense. I have been using Skyraider for a while now and love it. Great ROM, stable, with a hint of CM7 goodness thrown in for good measure.

As everyone says, nandroid and try them all.
    arran1 likes this.
    07-11-2011 10:37 PM
    Lots of AOSP love going on around here (I still need to take the leap and try out CM7)

But from another point of view, it depends on if you are a fan of Sense. I have been using Skyraider for a while now and love it. Great ROM, stable, with a hint of CM7 goodness thrown in for good measure.

As everyone says, nandroid and try them all.
    Like you and others have said nandroids are your friend, so defiantly backup your current ROM and give CM7 a shot.

And yes I suppose your take on ROM('s) you prefer depends on weather you're a fan of Sense or not. Personally I hate Sense (and custom UI's in general) so vanilla is defiantly my preferred flavor of Android, and no one does AOSP better then Cyanogenmod.
    arran1 likes this.
    07-11-2011 10:44 PM
    I am a big fan of Sense. But AOSP isn't bad. So I am willing to try it. And I've heard CM7 is one of the best, if not the best.

Nandroiding a lot was/is what I am going to do, I just wanted to hear everyone's opinions on these different ROM's.

Again, thanks to all of you!

And for you Skyraider fans, do you think there will be an update to it that will make it have the Sense 3.0 lockscreen? Or is there a MOD for that? That is one thing I would like.
    07-11-2011 11:35 PM
    O, and one other thing, CM 7.0.3 or CM7 nightlies? What is everybody's opinion on that?
    07-11-2011 11:37 PM
    O, and one other thing, CM 7.0.3 or CM7 nightlies? What is everybody's opinion on that?
    Defiantly go with the nightlies. They are just as stable as 7.0.3 and have a lot of bug fixes that the "stable" version doesn't have.
    arran1 likes this.
    07-11-2011 11:57 PM
    And for you Skyraider fans, do you think there will be an update to it that will make it have the Sense 3.0 lockscreen? Or is there a MOD for that? That is one thing I would like.
    The chef for Skyraider, Ihtfp69, has left the XDA community and started back up on a smaller forum site: Team BAMF Forums - Home

Skyraider is currently on version 4.2, but 4.3 is in the works. Here is all that I could find at the moment about the changes/update for 4.3:

4.3 will actually integrate the Gingerbread Download UI into the ROM. It's a lot better than the Froyo one imo.
    07-12-2011 01:20 AM
    Here's another noob question, I have heard a lot of talk going around the forum about incredikernal with CM7. Can you put it on Skyraider?
    07-12-2011 01:48 PM
    Here's another noob question, I have heard a lot of talk going around the forum about incredikernal with CM7. Can you put it on Skyraider?
    Nope. Incredikernel is an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) kernel, and Skyraider is Sense based, which means you can only use Sense kernels.
    07-12-2011 02:34 PM
    I think Chad does make a Sense kernel, but it's like a year old with no updates. I tried it on a few sense roms and it was horrible.
    07-12-2011 03:38 PM
    Ok, thank you Dark Wizard Matoya and ucluglee!
    07-12-2011 10:39 PM
    Ok, thank you Dark Wizard Matoya and ucluglee!
    Happy to help.
    07-12-2011 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD