Which is fastest/stable ginger-sense ROM?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not to hijack this thread but has any of you flashed the new version of Nil's 3.0 1.4 overtop of version 1.3...as in just wiping cache partition and dalvik, no factory reset?

I would assume that you would just have to wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache.
But when I installed this Rom the 3.0 (v1.4) was already released.This is my favorite sense Rom now tho .:cool:
But Im getting ready to flash back to CM though. ;)

Reactions: Wanda

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I would assume that you would just have to wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache.
But when I installed this Rom the 3.0 (v1.4) was already released.This is my favorite sense Rom now tho .:cool:
But Im getting ready to flash back to CM though. ;)

Thanks man. I did end up flashing 1.3 over 1.4 with no problems. I've since flashed over to 1.5 now and it's rocking strong with no problems.

I must say I'm really enjoying this ROM. After being AOSP with CM7 for so long I forgot how intergraded Sense was (thats not always good but in this case it is).

I'm sure I'll be back to CM7 eventually, but not anytime soon.

Reactions: davidnc

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks!! I didnt realize there was a v1. 5 release.
I will probably flash that to before going back to CM sometime.

sent using TaPaTaLk

altezzaboy03

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm so confused with the numbers...
I've googled GingerSense Business and I see that there is v2.3 and v1.5

I've tried 2.3 (not knowing about v1.5) and liked it a lot but had too many FCs, laggy input, etc and went back to Virtuous

What's v1.5?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm so confused with the numbers...
I've googled GingerSense Business and I see that there is v2.3 and v1.5

I've tried 2.3 (not knowing about v1.5) and liked it a lot but had too many FCs, laggy input, etc and went back to Virtuous

What's v1.5?

Business GingerSense v2.3 I believe is the non-rotating carousel (or 3D) version. It is Gingerbread and Sense but it is Sense version 2.1.

Business Gingersense v1.5 is Gingerbread with Sense 3.0. It has the carousel screens, something better seen than me trying to explain. It's a pretty cool visual effect.

I had some lag issues with the Gingersense version that incorporated Sense 2.1
I've had very little lag and maybe a browser FC here and there with Gingersense that uses Sense 3.0.

Here is a link to Nil's Business Gingersense 3.0 v1.5. My favorite Sense ROM out there right now. I'd recommend giving it a try if you like Sense. After a clean install you should have very little if any lag...i've found it to be an extremely well put together ROM.

[ROM] Nils' Business GingerSense 3.0 (8/5/11 V1.5) - xda-developers

Reactions: mumfoau

altezzaboy03

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Business GingerSense v2.3 I believe is the non-rotating carousel (or 3D) version. It is Gingerbread and Sense but it is Sense version 2.1.

Business Gingersense v1.5 is Gingerbread with Sense 3.0. It has the carousel screens, something better seen than me trying to explain. It's a pretty cool visual effect.

I had some lag issues with the Gingersense version that incorporated Sense 2.1
I've had very little lag and maybe a browser FC here and there with Gingersense that uses Sense 3.0.

Here is a link to Nil's Business Gingersense 3.0 v1.5. My favorite Sense ROM out there right now. I'd recommend giving it a try if you like Sense. After a clean install you should have very little if any lag...i've found it to be an extremely well put together ROM.

[ROM] Nils' Business GingerSense 3.0 (8/5/11 V1.5) - xda-developers

I've tried v2.3 with the 3d Carousel and it's pretty cool. Definitely a fun feature. I will try v1.5 :)

Thanks!

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks man. I did end up flashing 1.3 over 1.4 with no problems. I've since flashed over to 1.5 now and it's rocking strong with no problems.

I must say I'm really enjoying this ROM. After being AOSP with CM7 for so long I forgot how intergraded Sense was (thats not always good but in this case it is).

I'm sure I'll be back to CM7 eventually, but not anytime soon.

Wanda, I know you've been over in the CM7 nightly thread quite a bit, so I'm curious to hear your impressions on battery life compared to CM7? Are you running any custom kernel with GingerSense? I'm thinking of switching over myself.

Thanks.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
When I last used CM7 (probably back on nightly 153 or so) I also used Chad's latest kernel (i think its posted on the OP for the CM7 thread). My battery life was outstanding.

With Nils' Business Gingersense 3.0 v1.6, battery life is not as good. I'm not running any special kernel. I've got a 1750mh battery and I can usually make it through a day with no problems but if I've got a looong day, like off the charger at 0600, I'm typically looking for a place to get some juice by 7pm. Obviously your mileage will vary. I'm not a power user, just the typical emails, texts, phone calls, some surfing (gotta check my Android Central!), Facebook (I know, I'm a loser), Slacker Radio or my built in music player for a while, and some Angry Birds.

Long story short, CM7 will most likely get you better battery life. The Sense UI in and of itself is kind of a battery hog.

I'm sure I'll go back to CM7 at some point but battery life isn't really my main drive in life. If it is yours you may want to go with CM7 and Chads.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: MHBlink8

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
So I ran Ginger-Sense 3.0 v1.6 for 2 days and I was amazed at how much Sense has grown, but I couldn't get past the lag. I think I had used CM7 for so long I had become accustomed to the speed of an AOSP ROM. Despite the shortcomings of stock Android (dialer, email client), I'm back to CM7 for the pure snapiness of the ROM.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it can present some lag but in my opinion it has been minimal...at least on my phone and hasn't been a deal breaker for me. Sense 3.0 is a beast...I mean the ROM weighs in at 280something megs if I'm not mistaken, and thats after it was whittled down some. I'm pretty sure thats the reason why the Inc will never get an official update, Sense 2.1 and 3.0 just takes up too much space.

arran1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Nils Business Gingersense is pretty awesome, although, after reading this thread, 2.3 is the most laggy one? Just installed the 2.3... Tad laggy, but like Wanda said, Sense 3.0 is beast. Should I stay with 2.3, or before I get it all set up, switch to 1.6 because it is a lot less laggy?

Just rooted on Sunday, so I'm still learning

Last edited:

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to Wanda's glowing recommendation, I'm downloading Gingersense 3.0 v1.6 right now. We'll see how it goes once I flash it. Shoot, I JUST flashed SkyRaider 4.3 to give it some run. LOL

Last edited:

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Man this is a daggum good ROM!!!!! Sense 3.0 is the business and I'm seeing 0 lag so far. The thing finally settled down. Whew!! Good stuff!!!

Last edited:

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Nils Business Gingersense is pretty awesome, although, after reading this thread, 2.3 is the most laggy one? Just installed the 2.3... Tad laggy, but like Wanda said, Sense 3.0 is beast. Should I stay with 2.3, or before I get it all set up, switch to 1.6 because it is a lot less laggy?

Just rooted on Sunday, so I'm still learning

You might give 2.3 a couple of days. I ran the 2.3 3D version for a few days before trying Synergy's ROM. They both had about the same amount of lag. The 3.0 business gingersense has been quite a bit smoother for me and by that I mean, no more lag than any other Sense based ROM (Skyraider excluded) and less than 2.3 and Synergy's Sense3.0 ROM for sure.

After you've got it all set up, just make a nandroid backup and give 3.0 a try...worst case scenario you don't dig it and restore the backup you made of 2.3 gingersense.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Quick question about Nils Business GingerSense.... Where do my pictures go when I take them? I can't find either of the 2 pictures that I took...

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Quick question about Nils Business GingerSense.... Where do my pictures go when I take them? I can't find either of the 2 pictures that I took...

There has been a discussion over at XDA about this issue...seems some people have an issue where the pics save to the phone storage rather than the SD card. I have also lost a picture or two, nothing important fortunately, but it is a big stinker. After I checked my settings and reset them to SD card I haven't lost any.

Edit: Start reading at post #1044. NilsP is the Dev of this ROM and he is very responsive to questions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1175842&page=105

Last edited:

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
There has been a discussion over at XDA about this issue...seems some people have an issue where the pics save to the phone storage rather than the SD card. I have also lost a picture or two, nothing important fortunately, but it is a big stinker. After I checked my settings and reset them to SD card I haven't lost any.
Thanks Wanda.... Found the setting, took a test pic and it works.