Error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands

mikedaub

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Alrighty....seems as if I have some MAJOR problems here.

Background, I have a DInc 1, rooted using Unrevoked, and the only ROM I put on it was Cyanogen Mod 7. S-off is all set up, and there is the Superuser features have worked fine 75% of the time. Everything was up and running quite well for some time. Then this weekend, I installed a few different DWLauncher themes, and things still seemed to be ok. Sunday night, I installed Words with Friends, and that is when all hell broke lose.

Now, I really can't run anything. Apps are force closing all over the place, Google framework stuff is force closing and when I even try to report a problem, even that force closes. So, I uninstalled the Words with Friends App, and changed themes, thinking those were the culprits, but seems like the damage has been done. Nothing really works and everything is force closing.

Went into the ROM Manager (premium) and did a fix permissions and it gave me the "error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands" error. I ran it a handful of times, and it worked once last night. I thought it would have cleared a bunch of stuff up, but it didn't really help at all. Kept the phone off all night, and when I got to work this morning, I started working on it. Fine, time to ditch everything and start from scratch. So, downloaded a different ROM (Cyanogen MOD nightly), and also tried a few others, which it let me download, but when I click to install, no matter what options I click from wiping cache, wiping Dalvik, backing up or anything, it always gave me the same error. So, back to ROM manager, trying to boot in recovery, error, boot into CM recovery, error.

Edit, as I finished typing this, I tried to install the nightly one more time, but did not click wipe Dalvik, and it is installing things. As soon as everything installed, it was more of the same, apps crashing all over the place. I was able to go into ROM manager and boot into CM recovery, which is now allowing me to fix problems. So, it seems as if was working properly, for the first couple of hours, but around 10 pm, roughly 12 hours after the install, app crash-o-rama again. Also, from ROM Manager, when I try to flash ClockworkMod Recovery, it force closes.

So, I am kinda stuck. No matter what ROM I download, it gives me the same error. At this point, I don't care what ROM is on there (I do have preferences), but I just want the phone working again. Is there anyway to force a wipe and install?

Thanks in advance

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Try without ROM manager. If you have a usb card reader for micro sd, download a rom zip file from your computer and then put it on the root of your sd card. With the power off on your Dinc, hold the volume key down while you press power. It should boot into Hboot. Use the volume keys to toggle to recovery and use the power button to select that. It should now boot into recovery. I have had things not work correctly when using ROM manager. I've been done with it for a while now. I strictly use recovery to backup/restore/load Roms/kernels/etc.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Also when you flash in Recovery, wipe Data, Cache and Dalvik, under Advanced, Then flash the ROM.

Remember first boot can take like 10 min, so be patient.

mikedaub

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Also when you flash in Recovery, wipe Data, Cache and Dalvik, under Advanced, Then flash the ROM.

Remember first boot can take like 10 min, so be patient.

It wasn't a timing issue I was having, I had all day to let it run, it is that every time I would download a new ROM and go to install it, if I clicked to backup, wipe cache, or wipe Dalvik, it wouldn't let me and say I didn't have the permissions.. But, if I didn't click any of them, then it would let me.

mikedaub

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Try without ROM manager. If you have a usb card reader for micro sd, download a rom zip file from your computer and then put it on the root of your sd card. With the power off on your Dinc, hold the volume key down while you press power. It should boot into Hboot. Use the volume keys to toggle to recovery and use the power button to select that. It should now boot into recovery. I have had things not work correctly when using ROM manager. I've been done with it for a while now. I strictly use recovery to backup/restore/load Roms/kernels/etc.

From what I read in other places, doing it without the ROM Manager is a much better way to go. Next time I am wiping things and trying another ROM, this is the way to go.

Thanks

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
From what I read in other places, doing it without the ROM Manager is a much better way to go. Next time I am wiping things and trying another ROM, this is the way to go.

Thanks

Hey man, no problem. First issue I ever had was losing a nandroid backup through ROM manager. Losing a backup you rely on is NOT fun. When trying to restore it (it was made through rom manager but tried to restore through CWM) it said MD5 mismatch. Seen that happen when trying to rename backups with ROM Manager. Now I back up all my backups on a folder on my computer. I've had SD cards fail on me as well. No matter what happens, I always need one working backup to restore to. Plus saving them on a computer allows me to put them in folders with the ROM name and so when swapping out Roms, the setup is already there for me and I don't have to redo the whole thing. It also keeps space available for movies/music on the card.