ROM/Kernel advice (Battery Improvement & Disc Full warning)

Bailey81

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I love my Incredible - but there are 2 major issues that I have with it and I'm hoping that perhaps a custom ROM and/or kernel would help solve at least one of them... I'm currently running 2.3.4 (stock, just rooted). From some browsing, I think I'd like to try Skyraider perhaps with HeyItsLou #8 but I'm not sure how to install a kernel and if I have to do the ROM first and then the kernel or what (I'm totally a n00b - be gentle with me :))

issue #1: The stupid "your disc is full even though it's really not" message. I have a few very large apps that I actually use on a daily basis (FB, G+, B&N nook, and Netflix) and these all seem to push everything over the edge. I keep uninstalling apps that I like and use b/c I have no choice. I've got 4 gmail accounts (I've got multiple jobs and they all use google apps, which is convenient) and I've set the 3 work accounts to only sync the priority inbox and only for 1 day. I clear out the cache of almost all apps every few days, but still every 1-2 days I have to contend with this message which of course stops syncing and is obnoxious. I uninstalled all bloatware, and still it's an issue. I'm at a loss and I can't seem to find if anyone has found a solution in any forums... would a new ROM help?

issue #2: sad and pathetic battery life. That's where that kernel comes in - it seems that the one I listed above really improves it. Any better solutions or is that my best bet?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Skyraider is a great ROM. and flashing a kernel is just like flashing a ROM in Recovery, only you just delete Cache and Dalvik Cache.

I use all the apps you have listed except Facebook and I've never had a memory issue. Nook and Netflix store on the SD so they would not be culprits. Could be the Gmail accounts, I have a pop, exchange and gmail account set up on mine, but Gmail does not let you manage how much it downloads. Try deleting/cleaning up your text messages as well.

A new kernel is probably the easiest way to gain battery life.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
If you want to stay with Sense, Skyraider is a great rom. However, Nil's has really knocked a few home runs lately also.

Now, if you want to try an AOSP rom, I highly recommend CyanogenMod7 with Chad's Incredikernel. I use my phone heavily every day (phone, email, texting, surfing) and I also stream music and use GPS. Here is a screenshot of a typical days use:
11%20-%201.jpg

Your results may vary, but with results like this, I'm going to be hard presses to EVER give up my Incredible. :D

Bailey81

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Skyraider is a great ROM. and flashing a kernel is just like flashing a ROM in Recovery, only you just delete Cache and Dalvik

Thanks - so I would flash Skyraider and then the kernel? I think I'm going to try it tomorrow...

I do keep my text messages to a minimum, so I'm doing everything I can. It's so frustrating since I've got 8gbs internal and a 16gb sd card so I'm not actually low on space. I hope a non stock ROM will help. I read somewhere that the problem is that HTC set it up so only 150mb is available for apps...

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - so I would flash Skyraider and then the kernel? I think I'm going to try it tomorrow..

Correct. Reboot into recovery and wipe data/cache/dalvik. Then flash the new rom. Once the install finishes, go ahead and flash the kernel. Once that finishes, reoot. Have patience on the initial reboot, it will take a while. If for some reason after about 30 minutes you are sill on a boot or splash screen, the install may not have gone correctly and you may need to reboot into recovery and do it over again.

Let us know how it goes. That's what we're here for. :D

PS....happy late birthday.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Also be sure to make a backup of your current ROM before flashing the new ROM. In Recovery there is a backup option, use it early and often! ;)

Reactions: Lee_Bo

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Also be sure to make a backup of your current ROM before flashing the new ROM. In Recovery there is a backup option, use it early and often! ;)

Aye, ALWAYS backup before making any changes, just in case the ugly "oops" factor appears.

arran1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am rocking and loving CM7 nightly 212 with chads incredikernal(8-15-11, yes, i need to update:) )

I was thinking of trying Nils again(also an amazing ROM) and was wondering if anyone has used chads gingerbread sense kernel? Because I may try that with Nils, even though the stock kernel he gives is great.

And ucluglee, how do u get that battery life? I have tried everything possible, and cant get i that. I usually have about 15-20% left by 9pm, unplugging at 6:30. And I dont usually use my phone during the day because of school.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a huge AOSP rom fan, except MIUI. I used Chad's incredikernal with that and got great battery life with it. I would suggest using a third party launcher however as it will keep the android feel on an otherwise unorthodox Rom. (Lot's of people people knock it, but I found it really great)

However, it sounds like you are a sense fan, so Skyraider might be for you. Skyraider doesn't seem to like my Dinc however as I have never had a smooth experience with it. Nil's makes great Roms. Haven't tried them in a while but great battery life was not something I got with them.

I would recommend SetPCU as well. It works for me.

I'm using Rooted Stock w/sprinkles. I missed Sense so I came back. Anyone know a decent GB kernel for sense? I haven't seen the source code released from HTC yet.

Bailey81

May 16, 2011
Visit site
If you want to stay with Sense, Skyraider is a great rom. However, Nil's has really knocked a few home runs lately also.

Now, if you want to try an AOSP rom, I highly recommend CyanogenMod7 with Chad's Incredikernel. I use my phone heavily every day (phone, email, texting, surfing) and I also stream music and use GPS. Here is a screenshot of a typical days use:
Click to view quoted image
Your results may vary, but with results like this, I'm going to be hard presses to EVER give up my Incredible. :D

Well, you inspired me to try your setup - I want your battery life! :) room is flashed and now I just have to wait and see if my problems are solved! So far I'm loving it! :)

Thanks all of you for your help!

Last edited:

BBEgo

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Nils' Business GingerSense ROMs are fantastic, but they focus heavily on eye-candy. If Battery life is a concern, you may want to pass.

His 2.1/3.0 hybrid 3D ROM was a favorite of mine til he unleashed his BGS 3.5 on us. Holy moly is it pretty.

The newer Sense ROMs are power hungry resource hogs though. If you've been spoiled by the speed, simplicity and battery life of AOSP ROMs, you may not like it.

Sent from my Nils' Business GingerSense 3.5 Incredible using Tapatalk

Bailey81

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I wound up trying cyanogenmod 7 with Chad's incredikernel - I was seduced by promises of amazing battery life :) I may try skyraider, though. I miss some of the sense features, but I really love the customization options of cyanogenmod!

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I wound up trying cyanogenmod 7 with Chad's incredikernel - I was seduced by promises of amazing battery life :) I may try skyraider, though. I miss some of the sense features, but I really love the customization options of cyanogenmod!

That's what make Skyraider such a fantastic ROM...it's almost the perfect blend of Sense+AOSP. If it weren't for the fact that it's Froyo based and not Gingerbread based I'd probably still be using it today. As it is, I'm sold on the Sense 3.0 ROM's...Nils' in particular is really great. Very smooth, fluid, battery obviously isn't what you'd get on Cyanogen7 but it never will be when Sense is involved. It takes a combination of Tiny's Gingerkernel, and SetCPU to really get decent life out of it.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've heard the hype, but it didn't work for me. I've tried CM several times and always went back to something else. I guess it's just too Vanilla for me. I tried it recently mostly for the battery life, but didn't get any better results. Maybe my signal at work is just that poor that nothing can stop the drain.

PolynesianMedic

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
CM7 nightly 224 has incredible battery life. I have found it to be the best build so far for battery life, and I have not changed from their built in kernel either.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a huge AOSP rom fan, except MIUI. I used Chad's incredikernal with that and got great battery life with it. I would suggest using a third party launcher however as it will keep the android feel on an otherwise unorthodox Rom. (Lot's of people people knock it, but I found it really great)

However, it sounds like you are a sense fan, so Skyraider might be for you. Skyraider doesn't seem to like my Dinc however as I have never had a smooth experience with it. Nil's makes great Roms. Haven't tried them in a while but great battery life was not something I got with them.

I would recommend SetPCU as well. It works for me.

I'm using Rooted Stock w/sprinkles. I missed Sense so I came back. Anyone know a decent GB kernel for sense? I haven't seen the source code released from HTC yet.

Gingertiny. Over at xda or downloadable at www.incredikernel.com

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12