Battery sucked dry in hours

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
So just in the last couple of weeks I have notisced that my battery is going dead in a matter of hours. For example, I took it off my car charger and went into my building to teach. an hour later, it was down to <40% from just under 90%...so 50% drain in an hour. I have also noticed that with my ginormous extended battery the drain is accelerated. My extended battery usually lasts at least a day with heavy text, FB and other apps that have the display on for extended periods of time.

I saw on someone's thread a while back that they were able to figure out which apps were draining the battery, but can't seem to find that thread now. Any ideas?

even with Incredicontrol set for fast USB charging, it takes forever to charge. For example, I have had it on a wall charger now for a little under an hour, and it has only come up 7%, which is much slower that it used to.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
When was the last time you did a fresh install?

Have you loaded any new apps in the last week?

Have you done a full shut off, battery pull, restart?

Sounds like a rogue app is chewing up your juice.

You can check what apps are doing what with Spare Parts (Comes with CM7, or download it from the market.) Or for a less detailed view look in Menu -> Settings -> About phone -> Battery use

If you've done all of the above and are still having problems, it may be your battery going bad, try using the stock battery and see what happens.

Good luck!

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went to a Verizon store, since my phone was getting only three hours on the standard stock battery, and maybe 5 on the extended battery...best explanation: 1. The phone is older, more or less considered a near first gen droid, so is starting to lose life anyway...(duh). and 2. As networks are updated, older phones have to work a little harder. I suspected the latter...

If it weren't for 4G, I probably wouldn't upgrade when my phone is due...but if I can just get it to get me to February...

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Frankly, #2 is A big load of Customer Service BS!

The 3G cmda network has not gotten "harder to use" in the last 2 years.

Have you done a full reset/clean install yet?

ricbon

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I can vouch for tmettler5 my battery life sucks but I think its due to the building I work in. I went to buy a new battery this weekend and it still does the same thing. I did flash incredikernal today I want to see how that goes. And pville how can I tell which is a rouge app

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I too have noticed a battery drain recently but not to the extent that you're talking about. I have experienced a rapid battery drain like what your talking about in the past, and it was a rogue app. Unfortunately, you need to remember which apps got updated recently and it's probably one of those.

Facebook sometimes continues to reload itself sometimes after you close it, as does Words with Friends. It has been causing me headaches recently to the point where I may have to uninstall it.

Ryp11

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had the same issues with my battery lately. I've done the factory restore and have pulled the battery and restarted the phone a few times. I was thinking of just getting a new battery. I was looking on Amazon and saw some for only $5? Is that right? Seems really cheap, for a replacement to the OEM battery. I just need this phone to last for a few more months as I'm trying to figure out which new one to get and I need to see them all before I can make up my mind. Thanks

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking of just getting a new battery. I was looking on Amazon and saw some for only $5? Is that right? Seems really cheap, for a replacement to the OEM battery.

That's about right for now - stores tend to dump accessories as the phones get older. Better to unload them for something than to sit on them for nothing.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've recently found that Words with Friends is a battery killer. It literally took 40% battery while sitting in my pocket after 1 hour. Not sure what they did in a recent update, but I uninstalled it and won't play it again till they fix it. That was ridiculous. I only realized it as the phone was burning hot in my pocket. I noticed how low the battery percentage was and checked what was using my battery and Words with Friends was listed as a higher percentage than the Display!

kdo23

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
It is best practice to back all the way out of wwf. Additionally boost the refresh interval in settings to a more manageable 15 minutes or even more.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk