Those still trying to root..

rob_ashsu

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
so after multiple sites and sources, multiple sd cards (sd, kingston, pny etc.), and hours of not being able to get adb shell going, i really am throwing in the towel. ive literally cursed my voice away trying to make this work. a simple root, not so simple. ive decided that i have the one incredible in the world that just will not allow the rooting process to happen. at one point my phone was in my hand about to be smashed into my wall...so i say congrats to everyone but me who was able to make this happen, and i ask you all to pray for my phone's safety as i will not guarantee that it'll be working tomorrow, or even identifiable as a phone for that matter.

FML and F**K MY PHONE

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
so after multiple sites and sources, multiple sd cards (sd, kingston, pny etc.), and hours of not being able to get adb shell going, i really am throwing in the towel. ive literally cursed my voice away trying to make this work. a simple root, not so simple. ive decided that i have the one incredible in the world that just will not allow the rooting process to happen. at one point my phone was in my hand about to be smashed into my wall...so i say congrats to everyone but me who was able to make this happen, and i ask you all to pray for my phone's safety as i will not guarantee that it'll be working tomorrow, or even identifiable as a phone for that matter.

FML and F**K MY PHONE

Ok....thanks for adding to the conversation!

Jett2314

May 2, 2010
Visit site
motoroid, I have been to that dark place. Not sure how or why, but last night I tried for the 1500 time and got root. I started with the phone off, inserted pny 2gig card (empty and formatted), followed the directions from http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-droid-incredible-roms-hacks/17483-easy-way-get-adb-recovery.html, got my incredible to show under adb devices, crapped my pants I was so happy, then followed the 10 min how to video. I think it is more of a timing thing. I feel your pain, good luck.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
That's all it is, is a timing thing. Well once you have the right card anyways. Keep trying you will get it eventually, the more you try the better your chances. Just keep counts that way you aren't trying the same window over and over.

SirKeats

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
just an fyi to all of those still trying to root - i had a hell of a time myself. i was able to get in twice on my decent work computer but it took me like a million tries to get in and once i did, something happened along the way and i was unable to push files so they were unsuccessful roots.

finally i decided to try on my way way way old box i keep in the spare bedroom. it's slow and i never really use it. decided to give it a go though and got in on the first try. while i have no proof, i suspect that the slower/crappier the SD card (i was using the wally world card) and the slower/crappier the computer, the bigger the window is for you to beat the race.

i could be wrong but just thought i'd share. anyone still trying who has access to some way old computers... might increase your chances.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
just an fyi to all of those still trying to root - i had a hell of a time myself. i was able to get in twice on my decent work computer but it took me like a million tries to get in and once i did, something happened along the way and i was unable to push files so they were unsuccessful roots.

finally i decided to try on my way way way old box i keep in the spare bedroom. it's slow and i never really use it. decided to give it a go though and got in on the first try. while i have no proof, i suspect that the slower/crappier the SD card (i was using the wally world card) and the slower/crappier the computer, the bigger the window is for you to beat the race.

i could be wrong but just thought i'd share. anyone still trying who has access to some way old computers... might increase your chances.

Thats sounds about right. I didn't root on an old machine by any count, but everything they have pushed out note wise says the crappier the hardware you are working with, I guess by your account the computer is included, the easier it is to root. There used to be a program out that would let you slow your processor down so you could play older games, wonder if anyone has downloaded something like that and tried it yet? Anyone with a non-rooted phone willing to let me play!? ;)

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
ugh, I can get in the exec /system/bin/sh failed portion, but when I execute 1.bat, I get "C:\sdk\tools>adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
failed to copy 'busybox' to '/sdcard/busybox': Permission denied" etc... with the other files. I tried to change these from read-only (it is marked for some reason but it's greyed out- even after unchecking it it still goes back) and making myself the owner of the files. Any idea?

I re-downloaded the Simple zip file and reinstalled the sdk..

edit:: yes, I have all the permissions set to me.

edit2:: ah, I think it's because update was installed or whatever from a failed attempt. So I guess I'll go in astro and delete it... will check back.

edit3:: yep, that was the problem. wohoo! root and typing this on wireless tether!

Last edited:

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Is the incredible cpu already clocked to the max? Still exploring what I can do with root. Any col things I can do? This is my first android phone.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Is the incredible cpu already clocked to the max? Still exploring what I can do with root. Any col things I can do? This is my first android phone.

There is a lot of things you can do. I would suggest visiting XDA Developers and start reading.

omgbeav

May 6, 2010
www.beavsgraphics.com
Thanks. Is the incredible cpu already clocked to the max?

Nope. Check out the HydraKernal threads here and on XDA.

Still exploring what I can do with root. Any col things I can do? This is my first android phone.

This was my first Android device too. Try installing Lamppu for a flashlight. Also, download some ROMs. Check out incredible ROMS | roms, news, and other cool stuff However, before you start going crazy, download ROM Manager for the Market and backup your current configuration to make sure you can always go back to
your current state.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
ROM Manager and Titanium backup is your friend. And before you do ANYTHING make sure you have a nandroid backup in case things go wonky on ya.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
There are a bunch of different types of "method" but they are all doing the same thing with either removing the memory card or usb cable etc. What SD card are you using?

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
So im still unlucky enough to have not gottten root. has anyone heard if there is another method in the works for us?

yeah unrevoked is supposedly working on a 1 click root. no eta

i tried for like a week, i tried with a 2gb sandisk that came wit hthe phone and teh 8gb sandisk that came with the storm, no success. i was using linux.

finally i got to best buy and bought their 2gb pny card for $12.99, i got it after about 5 to 7 tries.

i did click out the sd card when it started loading (like during the vibrate cause i forgot to click it out) and then back in about 1/2 sec before the trinangle screen and it worked. maybe someone who is stuck coudl try this. i was ready to pull the battery thinking i took the sd card out too late, luckily i didnt, since i had about ready to give up.

i was convinced my hhboot was newwer or something and that was making it impossible, so awesome now that its rooted, well worth it.

mwirtz

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
ive used the 8gb that came in my storm, a 2gb pny from best buy, and the 4gb sandisk, ive gone thru the 10 minute method, tried clicking the card in when the black line shows up on the screen, and i dont know how many times ive tried timing the card just right. oh well, i still think this phone is awesome, even without root, so i suppose i dont mind waiting for something like a 1 click.

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
ive used the 8gb that came in my storm, a 2gb pny from best buy, and the 4gb sandisk, ive gone thru the 10 minute method, tried clicking the card in when the black line shows up on the screen, and i dont know how many times ive tried timing the card just right. oh well, i still think this phone is awesome, even without root, so i suppose i dont mind waiting for something like a 1 click.

try what i said, click ito out during the vibrate on the htc screen and then click it in 1/2 sec before triangle. it worked first time with the pny card for me.

i did that after a "adb reboot recovery"

dont give up man, i did it for like a week unsucessful, my sd card is even worn out!\

now that froyo is out for the incredible, your going to want to do this (or wait for xmas lol)

baldinga

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
How I Got Root

Followed the procedure here: http://www.jonamerica.com/technology/howto-root-the-htc-droid-incredible/

Couldn't access recovery through the normal means or even the 'Mississippi' method until I tried this:

In the alternate method, I began the process with a 2GB PNY SD card inserted. After Step 5, after the green error messages cycle, I removed the card completely and got ready to insert the original 2GB card that came with the phone. I selected recovery, waited for the white HTC INCREDIBLE screen to flicker and then fully inserted the original stock SD card.

It worked on the first try after about 50 unsuccessful attempts using only the PNY. Maybe it's just coincidence but I'd say it's worth a try if you're struggling with root.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel