how to block a update???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jett2314

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I have root and really do not care if I can record 720p video. Is there a setting I can check so big red can not push updates to my phone? I would like to keep my sh#t just the way I have it. Yes, I know I'm a dork but I like sense and do not want to throw a rom on at this time. I run basic stock with wifi tether.:cool:

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
in /system/etc/security/ change the files
otacerts.zip
cacerts.bks

to

BAKotacerts.zip
BAKcacerts.bks

then you can't get pushed software updates. Change them back if you decide you want it after all.

SLOflatlander

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
can that be done through an app such as root explorer? i thought if we wanted to change syystem files it had to be done through recovery since incredible users dont have nand unlocked?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Simple you use the 'move' command to move and rename files in linux which Android is made from. So the proper command would be mv /dir/filename /dir/changedname

mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/BAKotacerts.zip
mv /system/etc/security/cacerts.bks /system/etc/security/BAKcacerts.bks

And that should fix you up!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
adb while in recovery, with partition mounted r/w (help me out DInc hackers with those commands)

cd system/etc/security
mv otacerts.zip BAKotacerts.zip
mv cacerts.bks BAKcacerts.bks
exit
exit
reboot

mv command = cut/paste. First argument is existing file name and path, second is new file name and path. Since we're in the folder where the files are, we don;t have to specify the full path (/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip for example)

As mentioned above, have to do it in recovery since partition is read only while Android is running.

Edit:
And Qazme shows why it's important to refresh a web page before you answer a question lol.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
LOL no problem gbhil great minds always think alike! You made it a bit more or a user friendly explanation I think. I used to talking with tech geeks all day. haha all in helping people :p

Oh btw both ways going about it work, you either have to cd into the directory first or type it out long hand, either / or.

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
adb while in recovery, with partition mounted r/w (help me out DInc hackers with those commands)

cd system/etc/security
mv otacerts.zip BAKotacerts.zip
mv cacerts.bks BAKcacerts.bks
exit
exit
reboot

mv command = cut/paste. First argument is existing file name and path, second is new file name and path. Since we're in the folder where the files are, we don;t have to specify the full path (/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip for example)

As mentioned above, have to do it in recovery since partition is read only while Android is running.

Edit:
And Qazme shows why it's important to refresh a web page before you answer a question lol.

Is there a site that shows the linux commands as they apply to Android products?

They look similar to the old DOS commands, but there's enough difference to make DOS commands not work.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Is there a site that shows the linux commands as they apply to Android products?

They look similar to the old DOS commands, but there's enough difference to make DOS commands not work.

When I go into recovery I see hoqw to mount but can't tell how to get to command line. Have clockw on recovery. Thanks!
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The command line is from your computer. You need to have the Android developer kit (SDK) installed on your computer. Once you have that done you mount up the /system partition in clockwork recovery then open up the cmd on your computer and open an adb shell. Then you do the commands.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The command line is from your computer. You need to have the Android developer kit (SDK) installed on your computer. Once you have that done you mount up the /system partition in clockwork recovery then open up the cmd on your computer and open an adb shell. Then you do the commands.

Wow thanks!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Here is the SDK download: Android SDK | Android Developers

Then let it do it's thing. You also need to download the driver package when the SDK is downloading, not to mention the bootloader drivers from the new UnRevoked. Get it here: unrevoked

Install it. 'You probably have this already if you rooted your phone'.

To open up an adb shell. Click start then run / or in the search box on Vista/7 and type in 'cmd'.

When that box opens type in: 'cd /directory your installed sdk into/tools/' hit enter.
Type in 'adb shell' hit enter.

Then do the commands.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Nice! Thanks. Rooted on work PC. Home is Mac. Downloaded the SDK, booted in recovery, mounted system (not clear if this was needed), connected to Mac, opened terminal, followed your. Commands from there. Worked great! Thanks so much.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Kudos to Qazme for stepping up with the device specific info!

And I'm gonna sticky this for a bit, since root just got easier and the OTA is out and about peeps might wanna know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma