11-14-2010 05:02 PM
37 12
tools
    I have root and really do not care if I can record 720p video. Is there a setting I can check so big red can not push updates to my phone? I would like to keep my sh#t just the way I have it. Yes, I know I'm a dork but I like sense and do not want to throw a rom on at this time. I run basic stock with wifi tether.
    07-17-2010 09:21 PM
    IIRC, you're given a choice whether to accept a system update or not.

Just don't download it....
    07-17-2010 10:08 PM
    in /system/etc/security/ change the files
    otacerts.zip
    cacerts.bks

to

BAKotacerts.zip
    BAKcacerts.bks

then you can't get pushed software updates. Change them back if you decide you want it after all.
    BSG75 and mr.saving like this.
    07-17-2010 10:13 PM
    Oh nice, wasn't aware of that gbhil. Going to jump on that right now!
    07-17-2010 10:14 PM
    Thanks gbhil
    07-17-2010 10:28 PM
    NP guys. We're all here to learn together!
    07-17-2010 10:42 PM
    can that be done through an app such as root explorer? i thought if we wanted to change syystem files it had to be done through recovery since incredible users dont have nand unlocked?
    07-18-2010 12:45 PM
    What is the correct way to rename these files?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    07-18-2010 05:12 PM
    Simple you use the 'move' command to move and rename files in linux which Android is made from. So the proper command would be mv /dir/filename /dir/changedname

mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/BAKotacerts.zip
    mv /system/etc/security/cacerts.bks /system/etc/security/BAKcacerts.bks

And that should fix you up!
    07-18-2010 05:19 PM
    adb while in recovery, with partition mounted r/w (help me out DInc hackers with those commands)

cd system/etc/security
    mv otacerts.zip BAKotacerts.zip
    mv cacerts.bks BAKcacerts.bks
    exit
    exit
    reboot

mv command = cut/paste. First argument is existing file name and path, second is new file name and path. Since we're in the folder where the files are, we don;t have to specify the full path (/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip for example)

As mentioned above, have to do it in recovery since partition is read only while Android is running.

Edit:
    And Qazme shows why it's important to refresh a web page before you answer a question lol.
    Qazme likes this.
    07-18-2010 05:21 PM
    LOL no problem gbhil great minds always think alike! You made it a bit more or a user friendly explanation I think. I used to talking with tech geeks all day. haha all in helping people

Oh btw both ways going about it work, you either have to cd into the directory first or type it out long hand, either / or.
    07-18-2010 05:25 PM
    adb while in recovery, with partition mounted r/w (help me out DInc hackers with those commands)

cd system/etc/security
    mv otacerts.zip BAKotacerts.zip
    mv cacerts.bks BAKcacerts.bks
    exit
    exit
    reboot

mv command = cut/paste. First argument is existing file name and path, second is new file name and path. Since we're in the folder where the files are, we don;t have to specify the full path (/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip for example)

As mentioned above, have to do it in recovery since partition is read only while Android is running.

Edit:
    And Qazme shows why it's important to refresh a web page before you answer a question lol.
    Is there a site that shows the linux commands as they apply to Android products?

They look similar to the old DOS commands, but there's enough difference to make DOS commands not work.
    07-18-2010 05:32 PM
    Just look for any website that shows 'Linux' commands. That's what you are looking for.
    07-18-2010 05:45 PM
    Is there a site that shows the linux commands as they apply to Android products?

They look similar to the old DOS commands, but there's enough difference to make DOS commands not work.
    When I go into recovery I see hoqw to mount but can't tell how to get to command line. Have clockw on recovery. Thanks!
    07-18-2010 05:57 PM
    The command line is from your computer. You need to have the Android developer kit (SDK) installed on your computer. Once you have that done you mount up the /system partition in clockwork recovery then open up the cmd on your computer and open an adb shell. Then you do the commands.
    07-18-2010 06:39 PM
    The command line is from your computer. You need to have the Android developer kit (SDK) installed on your computer. Once you have that done you mount up the /system partition in clockwork recovery then open up the cmd on your computer and open an adb shell. Then you do the commands.
    Wow thanks!

07-18-2010 06:41 PM
    Here is the SDK download: Android SDK | Android Developers

Then let it do it's thing. You also need to download the driver package when the SDK is downloading, not to mention the bootloader drivers from the new UnRevoked. Get it here: unrevoked

Install it. 'You probably have this already if you rooted your phone'.

To open up an adb shell. Click start then run / or in the search box on Vista/7 and type in 'cmd'.

When that box opens type in: 'cd /directory your installed sdk into/tools/' hit enter.
    Type in 'adb shell' hit enter.

Then do the commands.
    07-18-2010 06:45 PM
    Nice! Thanks. Rooted on work PC. Home is Mac. Downloaded the SDK, booted in recovery, mounted system (not clear if this was needed), connected to Mac, opened terminal, followed your. Commands from there. Worked great! Thanks so much.

07-18-2010 07:55 PM
    Kudos to Qazme for stepping up with the device specific info!

And I'm gonna sticky this for a bit, since root just got easier and the OTA is out and about peeps might wanna know
    07-18-2010 07:58 PM
    Thanks for the thanks gbhil! I try to help as much as possible when I can and catch the post fast enough!
    07-18-2010 08:20 PM
    One gotcha. After rebooting I am getting Google app FCs repeatedly. And app market doesn't work. Renamed the non OTA file from the above instructions and I'm fixed. Not sure where this leaves me for OTA updates. Thought this info might be helpful. Cheers.

07-18-2010 08:35 PM
    what is the correct way to boot into recovery? can i just do it through rom manager, or should i do it some other way? (i rooted using unrevoked3 with clockwork mod 2.5)
    07-19-2010 12:46 AM
    what is the correct way to boot into recovery? can i just do it through rom manager, or should i do it some other way? (i rooted using unrevoked3 with clockwork mod 2.5)
    Turn your phone off fully. Once it is off press 'volume down + power' hold it down until you boot to a white screen. This is what is called the hboot. Wait about 10-20 seconds for it to do an sd card check, it's looking for update files. Once it completes the check scroll down with 'volume down' and select 'recovery' with your power button. You will now be in clockwork recovery mod.
    07-19-2010 12:58 AM
    Simple you use the 'move' command to move and rename files in linux which Android is made from. So the proper command would be mv /dir/filename /dir/changedname

mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/BAKotacerts.zip
    mv /system/etc/security/cacerts.bks /system/etc/security/BAKcacerts.bks

And that should fix you up!
    i did this and got stuck in my first boot loop D:
    07-19-2010 01:06 AM
    i did this and got stuck in my first boot loop D:
    Same here. Went back in and changed it back and now able to reboot. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I enter clockwork recovery, mount system partition (high light mount and press the track pad button, switches to unmount), enter the commands and type in exit I loose my cmd prompt. I reboot the phone and get stuck in boot loop. Thanks
    07-19-2010 09:48 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD